SaltCritters.com

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

I'm glad to see you're sticking with it even though it will be a bit of a struggle to get it back up to par with how it once was. Keep in mind that it will never be exactly the same ever again. When starting over, sometimes it is best to head in a new direction rather than searching for a former glory. You still have all the skills and the knowledge gained from this tank, make the most of them.

I'm aware that my tank will never be like it was before, which isn't necessarily a bad thing just an entirely different direction so who knows where it will end up. And it's probably a good thing. But what I would definitely like to do is go back to basics. Back to keeping things simple and appreciating the little things, the things that made this tank so alive and happy.

So are you planning on making any changes to the tank? as far as filtration and stuff like that or are you sticking with the good old ac70? happy you are keeping it btw, ill be watching the progress. good luck

There's nothing wrong with the AC70 so I see no reason to try and fix something that isn't broken. The AC70 is still the most efficient method of filtration for a tank this size although mine could use a good scrubbing. ;)

get back into the sexiness with a maxi mini nem and some sexy shrimp :P

Yes! I miss my sexies so that's definitely something I look forward to bringing back in the near future. :)

Way to go El Fab. I am so happy you are going to fix up the "Sexy Pico". I have checked up on this tank every once and a while and was stunned to see it look the way it looked. It will look awesome again soon. This was such a great tank and I hope to set up a pico once I get my 46 gallon going (based off of yours.)

Hey if you wouldn't mind looking at my tank and giving me some feedback, that would be awesome. :D

Edited by TennisWildcat95

el fab youre still my inspiration. im starting a 5.5 drilled in school to grow acans FOR A GRADE! with state funding which is very nice. hopefully ill start a thread with lots and lots of pictures vry soon!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What type of Epoxy Putty do you use to secure your new frags. I just got a new frag of Gorilla Nipple Zoa's and my hermits have nocked it over twice in the past 24 hours. :angry: Can you remove the frag once it is secured down and the epoxy has cured by breaking the epoxy or is it it secured for life?

Also, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread and giving me some feedback that would be awesome. You have some cool zoa's and a awesome tank!!

• 3 weeks later...

All Good Things Must Come to An End

CIMG3254.jpg

I'm posting today with a bittersweet update that as of today, the Sexy Pico is finally no more. It's been an uphill battle trying to get it back up and running to where it used to stand but in the end, its old age along with other factors proved to be a more difficult task than I had hoped to anticipate.

Resurrecting the tank would have been more possible if I had all the time and resources. Not to mention the amount of stress the tank's condition has been putting on the surviving livestock. Ultimately I felt that focusing all my efforts to bring back one little tank seemed like a grave disservice to The MAX which despite its stability, has been largely left ignored.

It was a difficult decision but in the end it feels right to give it its proper ending. Nevertheless there is a sense of loss considering all the work I've put into this project over the past three years and it's been an incredible journey to say the least. Having no prior experience in reefing, I walked into this hobby with very little expectations. I was hoping to be able to keep a few simple corals and I certainly never expected this tank to last for as long as it had. If anything I figured I'd find myself upgrading to a larger tank in no time.

What I didn't expect is to be able to change the way people look at picos. Three years ago a pico was nothing more than a novelty tank and you'd see one or two pop up every now and then only to be never heard of again after a few months. Most people were convinced that long term success in a pico can only be achieved by using a large sump and only limited to a few simple corals and nothing else. But over the years I've managed to push the envelope as far as what can be done with a pico and that it really is possible to sustain the ocean in a square foot glass box. My method and techniques are not original. All I did was took the best existing ideas, simplified them and made them efficient so that anyone can recreate the process and get more or less the same results. In short, I learned from the best. :)

In a sense, the spirit of this tank lives on but in a much larger tank where 90% of the livestock were grown from the pico. And of course the tank will continue to live on this thread where hopefully it can continue to inspire other future pico keepers to think outside the glass box, pun intended. I can't believe the number of amazing tanks out there that were all inspired from this project. My advice to future pico keepers—don't be afraid to push the envelope, patience is a virtue, less is more and oftentimes the best solutions are the simplest ones. And take lots of pictures of your tanks, you'll never know when they'll be gone and it's always nice to be able to look back.

AB

A video tribute to my tank:

Such a great tank...Such a great teacher...

From beginning to end it has been a wonderful journey and a source of inspiration and awe to thousands.

Thank you for sharing you tank. :)

Edited by RLC
burtbollinger

congrats on what was the likely the finest pico I'll ever see. watching that video, the phrase in my head was "impossibly beautiful."

Edited by burtbollinger

I'm sure it's rough but don't think of it as an end.

You're tank really did change my mind about picos. I once thought of them as small tanks to keep people happy at work for a few hours until they returned home to their tanks but yours was a full blown reef. Without a doubt one of the most interesting threads on N-R.com.

I hope you eventually start another....except even smaller :)

EDIT:

P.S. CLAM IN A PICO?! Sheeeeesh talk about pushing the damn envelope! Great stuff and it's impossible to believe that you were able to maintain it for so so long with such a simplified regimen.

Edited by d9hp

I think you are making a good decision.Alot of people said to keep it going when you posted your last pictures.I was the one who said put a bullet in it. YOU are the one who inspired alot of the pico tanks here.I have never had a pico but I recall when I first started I read your thread.You pushed the pico to the max.Speaking of the max how is it doing?