Top Shelf Aquatics

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

strangelove
Yay you found my tank! Welcome aboard. You gotta start a pico and you gotta put sexy shrimps in it so you can join the "Sexy Club." :D

:lol: Sexy Club :lol:

el fabuloso
Which LFS? I haven't been to any in a few weeks.

Green Valley. I also got some gnarly-looking Florida live rock from them for my friend's tank.

constantocean
Sorry about your tank, I'm sure you'll recover and have your tank up and running great in no time! In the mean time though, I'm gonna have to put your membership in the Sexy Club on probation. :P

noooooooo its not my fault my trumpet ate my sexies. i'm flushing that damm trumpet down the toilet. its only 2 heads I'd only get liek $5 for it at the LFS anyway.

Green Valley. I also got some gnarly-looking Florida live rock from them for my friend's tank.

Wow, really? Interesting... if it weren't halfway to China I would stop by there more often, lol.

And they have Florida rock? Score, I was looking for about five pounds worth. :)

el fabuloso
Wow, really? Interesting... if it weren't halfway to China I would stop by there more often, lol.

And they have Florida rock? Score, I was looking for about five pounds worth. :)

Right?! It really sucks that they're on the other side of the world. Their stock is expanding more and more though but their coral selection is still pretty bleak. They're good people and they've gotten to know me, mostly cuz I'm usually the only one there! :lol: They get new shipments on Thursdays, that goes for rocks as well.

hey, i was just wondering what you feed your shrimps? you said something about pellets...what kind?

Omega One Shrimp Pellets, they can't get enough of it!

10139.jpg

I feed them that every other day and then once a week, before I do my water change I'll let the whole tank feast on frozen cyclop-eeze or baby brine.

el fabuloso

Fun With Actinics

I love watching my tank with only the actinic lights on so I thought I'd share some images on here. An hour before the daylights are on in the morning and an hour before all the lights are out, my tank turns into a neon landscape of bright fluorescent colors.

CIMG4382.jpg

CIMG4386.jpg

My yuma turns into a bright ball of fire.

CIMG4383.jpg

CIMG4384.jpg

The blastos by far look the best under actinic lights.

CIMG4390.jpg

Other Stuff Happening

I caught a good picture of one of my Asterina stars. All my Asterinas are either deformed or have an extra leg or two save for this one perfect star.

CIMG4379.jpg

My yuma is in the process of budding to make a smaller clone of itself. :happy:

CIMG4375.jpg

• Like 1

i just found this threat, but glad i did.. its looking great in there. keep up the good work. im trying to convince my gf that we need a pico in the bedroom. when i lived alone i had my 10g in there and it was so calming to lay in bed and watch all my critters run around, now its made its way into the kitchen... the 75g is in the living room.. i need fish love in the bedroom. wish me luck LOL

TJ

el fabuloso
i just found this threat, but glad i did.. its looking great in there. keep up the good work. im trying to convince my gf that we need a pico in the bedroom. when i lived alone i had my 10g in there and it was so calming to lay in bed and watch all my critters run around, now its made its way into the kitchen... the 75g is in the living room.. i need fish love in the bedroom. wish me luck LOL

TJ

Thanks! A pico in the bedroom with sexy shrimps would be quite fitting! DO IT!!! ;)

i need fish love in the bedroom. wish me luck LOL

Thanks! A pico in the bedroom with sexy shrimps would be quite fitting! DO IT!!! ;)

Bow chika bow wow. :naughtydance:

el fabuloso

Muchas gracias por los elogios, muy me adulan! :blush:

You're off on a good start so I'm sure your tank will look terrific! Patience is key. Lots of it.

el fabuloso

Return of the Daisy Polyps

My daisy polyps have been fully retracted for almost two months now except for maybe a couple here and there. So I followed Weetie's iodine dip remedy (mainly to help my sick zoas) and saw some improvements with my daisy polyps! After a day of dipping, some of the polyps opened up again with numbers growing by the day.

CIMG4405.jpg

CIMG4397.jpg

CIMG4398.jpg

I'm also seeing improved polyp extension in my zoas and palys with the GSP almost shimmering. So I think the whole rock benefited from the iodine dip.

CIMG4400.jpg

While my sick blue zoas have opened up more after the dip, they're still a bit sickly looking and I'm to the point of giving up on them. I may end up putting them in my friend's 9g tank once it's done cycling to see if it does any better in there.

Many thanks to Weetie for the invaluable tip! :happy:

• Like 1
BIG Update!

CIMG4319.jpg

CIMG4303.jpg

Hey! What a fabulous merleti! Congrats!! Definitely one of my all-time favorite corals. Such a lovely specimen you found!

Loved all the rest of the pics in that post as well. What a wonderful trio of sexies! So photogenic. Your Xenia look lovely, as do your fts's.

Fun With Actinics

I love watching my tank with only the actinic lights on so I thought I'd share some images on here. An hour before the daylights are on in the morning and an hour before all the lights are out, my tank turns into a neon landscape of bright fluorescent colors.

CIMG4382.jpg

CIMG4386.jpg

My yuma turns into a bright ball of fire.

CIMG4383.jpg

CIMG4384.jpg

The blastos by far look the best under actinic lights.

CIMG4390.jpg

Oh, those are stunning pics! Love the pimply shroom in the first shot, and that yuma & merleti are out of this world!

I caught a good picture of one of my Asterina stars. All my Asterinas are either deformed or have an extra leg or two save for this one perfect star.

CIMG4379.jpg

Nice pic. All your others are irregular because that's how they multiply--by fission. They won't stay "perfect" for long if they're happy and growing--enjoy it while it lasts. :D

My yuma is in the process of budding to make a smaller clone of itself. :happy:

CIMG4375.jpg

Wonderful! You could never have enough of these!

Nice to see the success with the daisy polyps. Things are really going well for you--nice job!

--Diane

el fabuloso

Welcome back Diane! And thanks for the kind words, as always. The merleti is definitely an instant favorite with me! It completes my tank and makes for a perfect centerpiece so thanks for suggesting it in the first place.

Nice pic. All your others are irregular because that's how they multiply--by fission. They won't stay "perfect" for long if they're happy and growing--enjoy it while it lasts. :D

I was totally unaware of this, now it makes sense! :happy:

el fabuloso

Birthday Zoas

I stopped by my LFS after work for a treat and walked out with two small frags of really neat zoas. Told the LFS guy it was my birthday so he practically gave them for free. Better than going to Baskin-Robbins! They're just the right pieces I've been looking for to fill in some of the gaps around my yuma rock.

CIMG4493.jpg

CIMG4495.jpg

CIMG4498.jpg

Before putting them in my tank, I did an iodine dip just for safe measure. Hopefully I have better luck with these than some of the zoas I've had in the past. fingerscrossed

Told the LFS guy it was my birthday so he practically gave them for free.

I so have to try that on my birthday! Very cool, Fab, they look great. :)

Edit: In the second pic, what is that neon green thing in the upper left?

Edited by Lalani

Tank looks amazing and is really starting to mature! Its going to look really awesome when the xenia starts to takeover the back wall. B)

-texx

Return of the Daisy Polyps

My daisy polyps have been fully retracted for almost two months now except for maybe a couple here and there. So I followed Weetie's iodine dip remedy (mainly to help my sick zoas) and saw some improvements with my daisy polyps! After a day of dipping, some of the polyps opened up again with numbers growing by the day.

CIMG4405.jpg

CIMG4397.jpg

CIMG4398.jpg

I'm also seeing improved polyp extension in my zoas and palys with the GSP almost shimmering. So I think the whole rock benefited from the iodine dip.

CIMG4400.jpg

While my sick blue zoas have opened up more after the dip, they're still a bit sickly looking and I'm to the point of giving up on them. I may end up putting them in my friend's 9g tank once it's done cycling to see if it does any better in there.

Many thanks to Weetie for the invaluable tip! :happy:

YAY, I helped!!!

Still loving this tank, it's one of my faves. :happy: