Cultivated Reef

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Fiction is referring to R33F's falco hawk in his pico. I think. lol

I wanted to add a fish but I didn't want another goby so I can't say I blame you for trying to think different. The yellowtail damsel is awesome, I have no complaints! He definitely adds a lot of life and color to the tank and if you squint your eyes he kinda looks like a blue tang. :lol:

I don't think you'd have any problems with the hi-fin red banded goby so you could give that a try. Again, just make sure your tank is ready for it. Can't wait to see your updates!

I like your damsel too. Its a great splash of color, he really stands out. I am kind of torn because I think the yellow clown goby would really add some color to my tank, I just find them kind of dull. And I have read so much about how hard it is to get them to eat, and have seen one returned to my lfs which wasnt eating and didnt make it. And its a really great lfs, she really knows what she is doing and keeps telling me not to try the yellow clown. I am in no rush though. I am going to get me a pom pom first and maybe some sps with my new light.

Edit: oops I missed that part about the falco hawk. Continue at normal speed fiction, sorry!

Edited by daveysmart

All those interested will be happy to know that the Falco Hawk has been moved back to the 15 gallon tank. So much for downsizing, now I have two tanks going, oh well. The Falco was doing fine but he was picking at my new zoas so I had to move him. Now that I have him in back in the 15gal I have to admit that the pico was pretty small for him even though he was not a swimmer.

Edited by R33F

Finally had the chance to read through all 18 pages. wow. Is that how everyone starts off a reply in this thread? ...seems like it.

My girlfriend and I live in these teeny little studio apartment and I'm definitely leaning more towards the JBJ 3-gal. pico. Seems like it'd be the perfect size to sit in this little nook on our kitchen counter.

Questions?

1.) I think you mentioned in one of your posts that you have another tank besides the pico. Did the live rock/sand come from that tank? or did you cherry pick the rocks just for the pico? I don't know if it matters or not... but since space is definitely an issue for me, I wasn't sure if you cured the rock in your pico or if you did it elsewhere or again, moved the rock from your other tank?

2.) Did you change any of the bulbs in the new Current Dual Satellite fixture? Or did you just keep the stock bulbs that were included? If you changed them, what spectrum/color did you change to?

Thanks in advance... and again, sweet looking pico! :happy:

Wow thanks for reading all 18 pages. lol

A pico is definitely a good tank for small spaces. Now to answer your questions:

1) The other tank (the M9 Project on my sig) is actually my friend's that I help setup and maintain long after I had my pico up and running. Other than swapping some frags between the two tanks, the two are completely separate and independent from each other. I have another tank project that's still in the works but that too will be independent from this pico and not necessarily an upgrade as one might expect.

2) The bulbs in the Current Dual Satellite provide a good balance between daylight and actinic so I haven't changed it nor do I recommend changing it unless you're looking for a specific effect like making the tank appear more blue. I did replace the bulbs at 8 months to make up for the intensity loss that happens over time but I replaced them with the same exact bulbs.

Hope that helps! Check out my Pico Guide to get some ideas on setting up a pico which I should be updating soon.

LOL! Thanks for the alert and welcome to my thread.

I know the Damsel goes against the nano reef livestock regulations... but the contrast of color in your tank is amazing. Sooooo purdy! :happy:

Absolutely! The color it adds alone is worth the two water changes a week. :lol: I highly recommend this little damsel to any tank.

On another note, my blue cloves are out of control! Forget GSP, blue cloves are the devil and they're popping out of every nook and cranny in my tank even on the sand! I've bee weeding them out but there's still too many of them, more than I know what to do! omgomgomg

I thought I'd bring sexy back with some new photos of my sexy duo. ;)

CIMG6630.jpg

CIMG6646.jpg

CIMG6634.jpg

CIMG6639.jpg

Notice the blue cloves growing everywhere! Like daisies!! omgomgomg

Edited by el fabuloso

Blue cloves + Blue damsel = pure hotness. I can't stop looking at those photos. It's fricken insane... :eek: Why does everyone hate on the damsels in a pico? If you do regular and frequent water changes... I don't see what the big issue is about one solitary damsel??

Edited by PSYS
On another note, my blue cloves are out of control! Forget GSP, blue cloves are the devil and they're popping out of every nook and cranny in my tank even on the sand! I've bee weeding them out but there's still too many of them, more than I know what to do!

But they look so nice. I like em.

That sexy is well sexy!!! Honestly looking at youre tank got me thinking about starting my own pico, and I did a few days ago

Great! Can't wait to see your thread. :happy:

Blue cloves + Blue damsel = pure hotness. I can't stop looking at those photos. It's fricken insane... :eek: Why does everyone hate on the damsels in a pico? If you do regular and frequent water changes... I don't see what the big issue is about one solitary damsel??

That's because damsels are very active fish with a high metabolism rate which means a very high bioload that can wreak havoc in a pico tank. Another concern that people have is the limited amount of swimming space. The same argument can be said to putting any fish in a pico but a yellowtail damsel is exceptional in my opinion—it's small (and stays small) and very peaceful for a damsel. In any case a fish should only be an afterthought in a pico and should only be considered once the tank has been fully cycled and all the parameters are stable. A common yet erroneous approach that people take is to set up a pico and then shop for a fish to put in it.

But they look so nice. I like em.

They're nice but they're getting out of control!

Here they are climbing up the front glass:

CIMG6660.jpg

Though the lush blue patch looks rather nice from the inside.

CIMG6664.jpg

They're in the corners of the tank:

CIMG6670.jpg

The back of the tank:

CIMG6671.jpg

They're everywhere! The one good thing that they do is corral my Xenias and my rics. They've grown all around them that it's preventing them from spreading out to other parts of the rock. I suppose that's a good thing.

CIMG6668.jpg

That's the cool thing about blue cloves is that they spread all over the tank, my friend has them growing on his snails and even on his cheato that's in his refugium. The bad part is that they will grow over and smother zoa's, although they don't seem to sting them like gsp.

i want your blue cloves (or at least a stray sandy frag)

I'll keep that in mind. I may start pimping these stuff out soon at the rate they're growing.

That's the cool thing about blue cloves is that they spread all over the tank, my friend has them growing on his snails and even on his cheato that's in his refugium. The bad part is that they will grow over and smother zoa's, although they don't seem to sting them like gsp.

I've noticed that. I'm just surprise to see something that grows faster than GSP.

I do not believe it. How could you make this tank look even better! Absolutely stunning. Great photo's.

I have pay pal and will take all the blue cloves you need to get rid of. Not Kidding.

Great job as always. I have been following your sticky also a great job on that thread. The newbies will have it so easy with those step by step instructions, it is a must read. Thanks for all you do to help make this such a great site.

What up Fab ? Just thought I would check in. Been awhile. My Yt is doing great in my pico as well. Truly a great fish for these tanks. My bio load is not affected by the little gal at all. fingerscrossed . Maybe it's my clam that eats all his poo ! :ninja: Good job as you know. Keep up the good work !

Hi there,

Just to say you have a fantastic tank. Your fish are stunning...your inverts are stunning... your corals are stunning! WOW! This is an inspiration to all fish-keepers! Thanks!! :D