Innovative Marine Aquariums

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

el fabuloso
On 8/2/2017 at 4:21 PM, JoeR said:

Hey El Fab,

You said that you modded an Aquaclear 70 right? The one for 40-70 Gallon tanks with 300 gph flow rate? I just noticed that mine is actually an Aquaclear 20- huge difference! No wonder I'm battling cyano that I can not for the life of me get to go away, regardless of perfect parameters.  You also mentioned you had to turn it to the lowest flow- you think it would be just as good to get the AC 50 and set it to the highest setting? Really don't want to spend another $50 on a filter but I might have to...

That's right. The flow was a bit much at first but I found it to decrease over time which is why I advised against trimming the impeller. Some people felt it was too much for their liking so they opted for the AC50 but I say the more flow the better. As long as your rock work is set up in a way that it breaks the flow (which I totally think you have) you should be fine. Not to mention that area will be a great spot for corals that love high flow.

Your rock work look great, BTW. Love the arch and the overall structure. :)

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, el fabuloso said:

That's right. The flow was a bit much at first but I found it to decrease over time which is why I advised against trimming the impeller. Some people felt it was too much for their liking so they opted for the AC50 but I say the more flow the better. As long as your rock work is set up in a way that it breaks the flow (which I totally think you have) you should be fine. Not to mention that area will be a great spot for corals that love high flow.

Your rock work look great, BTW. Love the arch and the overall structure. :)

I think mine has decreased too since I've had it now that you mention it.

I ended up going with the AC 50, hopefully I don't regret it. I figured since it's highest output is 200gph and the lowest on the AC 70 is 100gph it would essentially work the same in the end. I prob would have spent the extra $13 and done the 70 if I hadn't just spent $80 on new plants for my FW tanks lol...

Thanks! I actually make minor adjustments to the rockwork today since it shifts over time. I love it too, but it makes coral placement difficult because it's hard to find corals that can be exposed to air during WC and like the stronger light and flow. I think my next coral purchase will be some sun corals- they look stunning! Oh and if you have suggestions on where to place all those frags in the bottom left I'd super appreciate it... 

whens the tank-restart post?? :D

el fabuloso
7 hours ago, JoeR said:

I ended up going with the AC 50, hopefully I don't regret it. I figured since it's highest output is 200gph and the lowest on the AC 70 is 100gph it would essentially work the same in the end. I prob would have spent the extra $13 and done the 70 if I hadn't just spent $80 on new plants for my FW tanks lol...

Thanks! I actually make minor adjustments to the rockwork today since it shifts over time. I love it too, but it makes coral placement difficult because it's hard to find corals that can be exposed to air during WC and like the stronger light and flow. I think my next coral purchase will be some sun corals- they look stunning! Oh and if you have suggestions on where to place all those frags in the bottom left I'd super appreciate it... 

whens the tank-restart post?? :D

I don't think you'll regret it. Honestly I think the difference between the two is negligible and the AC50 probably works just as well as the AC70. I think the reason most people have gone with the AC70 is because it's the largest model you can fit on a pico and the additional water volume certainly doesn't hurt.

You shouldn't worry too much about corals being exposed to air. Corals are surprisingly resilient and in the wild they are constantly exposed to air during low tides and are subjected to far more turbulent conditions than what you can subject them to during water changes. Not sure what kind of lights you have on it but if you have decent lighting, some hardy SPS would be good contenders for that spot.

It's hard to tell from the photo what you've got on those frags in the bottom but do I see some SPS? I see some kind of acro, an encrusting montipora, a Ricordea and some kind of acan? The Ricordea can easily go at the base and those SPS should definitely go up top.

8 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

I don't think you'll regret it. Honestly I think the difference between the two is negligible and the AC50 probably works just as well as the AC70. I think the reason most people have gone with the AC70 is because it's the largest model you can fit on a pico and the additional water volume certainly doesn't hurt.

You shouldn't worry too much about corals being exposed to air. Corals are surprisingly resilient and in the wild they are constantly exposed to air during low tides and are subjected to far more turbulent conditions than what you can subject them to during water changes. Not sure what kind of lights you have on it but if you have decent lighting, some hardy SPS would be good contenders for that spot.

It's hard to tell from the photo what you've got on those frags in the bottom but do I see some SPS? I see some kind of acro, an encrusting montipora, a Ricordea and some kind of acan? The Ricordea can easily go at the base and those SPS should definitely go up top.

My light is the ABI Tuna Blue LED bulb and Yep you're right- the little neon yellow nub was labeled "Toxic Tort"- a type of acro. Theres also two acans, one ricordea, a birdsnest, and a leptoseris. My issues with placing them is how they will work long term and ensuring nothing will get overshadowed. The birdsnest for example has grown surprisingly very fast so it needs a lot of room. If I put anything in the center, especially the top center, it gets bleached so that's also something to consider. I need some frags that like super strong light, probably SPS like you said. And I'm too noobish to know how to get some of them like the tort and ricordea off the plugs safely...

Sorry for the thread de-rail, we can switch to my tank thread?

el fabuloso

Just break them off. I know, it sounds so rough but that's something you learn in this hobby over time. At first you're super diligent and gentle with things. Three years in and you'll find yourself picking up that frag off the floor, giving it a quick swish in a bucket to get all the hair off and throwing it in the tank like it's nothing. 

The birdsnest should be a good contender up top. The high flow will really help keep algae from growing on them and the light should be fine granted I'm not really all that familiar with your light. Been out of the hobby too long that I don't even know what all is out there these days. Another bonus with the birdsnest is that they don't get too dense so you won't have to worry about them overshadowing corals under it like you would with a Montipora cap. The only thing you'd have to do regularly is prune them especially if they take off and start growing out of the water. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Just break them off. I know, it sounds so rough but that's something you learn in this hobby over time. At first you're super diligent and gentle with things. Three years in and you'll find yourself picking up that frag off the floor, giving it a quick swish in a bucket to get all the hair off and throwing it in the tank like it's nothing. 

The birdsnest should be a good contender up top. The high flow will really help keep algae from growing on them and the light should be fine granted I'm not really all that familiar with your light. Been out of the hobby too long that I don't even know what all is out there these days. Another bonus with the birdsnest is that they don't get too dense so you won't have to worry about them overshadowing corals under it like you would with a Montipora cap. The only thing you'd have to do regularly is prune them especially if they take off and start growing out of the water. 

What about the ricordea? Cut it off?

Anyway, as (somewhat) per your instructions on page 2, I made a fuge today. I fit in the filter floss, chemipure, chaeto, and (thankfully) the heater. Thought the flow would be stronger than it is, but I'm betting it's because of the perpendicular divider. Its causing the water to flow out at the orange arrow, and I'm thinking it needs to be all mesh instead of what it is now.

Just have to figure out the fuge light now, ran out of time since I got called in to work this morning. Probably going to do a reverse photoperiod with the stock light until I find a cleaner looking one.

But no, seriously- when's the tank reboot post??

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

• Like 1
el fabuloso

Yep. You can easily cut Ricordea and softies with a razor blade.

The overflow by the intake happens with the AC70 too, although it usually doesn't happen until much later when the filter media gets clogged with detritus. Definitely try it with some mesh and see if it helps.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:02 PM, JoeR said:

But no, seriously- when's the tank reboot post??

Don't hold your breath, it's not gonna happen any time soon. As much as I want another tank and I feel like I'm mentally ready for it, It's just not practical for me to have one at this time. I'm traveling a lot these days and I'm afraid that I would not be able to commit the time. Also I currently live in a broom closet in Brooklyn and while it's more than enough room to run a pico, maintaining one still requires a good amount of tools and supplies and I'd hate to subject my roommate to the accidental meth lab that happens when you're running a reef tank. Also, money. I like having money for once and not quite ready to be all #allmymoneygoestocorals.

11 hours ago, el fabuloso said:

Yep. You can easily cut Ricordea and softies with a razor blade.

The overflow by the intake happens with the AC70 too, although it usually doesn't happen until much later when the filter media gets clogged with detritus. Definitely try it with some mesh and see if it helps.

Don't hold your breath, it's not gonna happen any time soon. As much as I want another tank and I feel like I'm mentally ready for it, It's just not practical for me to have one at this time. I'm traveling a lot these days and I'm afraid that I would not be able to commit the time. Also I currently live in a broom closet in Brooklyn and while it's more than enough room to run a pico, maintaining one still requires a good amount of tools and supplies and I'd hate to subject my roommate to the accidental meth lab that happens when you're running a reef tank. Also, money. I like having money for once and not quite ready to be all #allmymoneygoestocorals.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath, I'm mostly just teasing you. I definitely understand the money and commitment issue, I can't save any money or go on vacation between all my hobbies. Bonsai, FW planted tanks, and the big one- SW tanks, makes it feel like I 'spin wheels' as far as saving money.

I think you'd be surprised how little equipment you can get away with now. All my stuff, besides a water jug, fits in a small drawer under the tank. The tanks almost like an AIO with the filter and compact LED light clipping on the side. All you'd need is something the size of a nightstand. None of this eliminates the money and commitment issues however...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 11:44 AM, JoeR said:

I think you'd be surprised how little equipment you can get away with now. All my stuff, besides a water jug, fits in a small drawer under the tank. The tanks almost like an AIO with the filter and compact LED light clipping on the side. All you'd need is something the size of a nightstand. None of this eliminates the money and commitment issues however...

I think you'd be surprised at how little space I truly have. lol 

My pico setup was exactly that. Tank on a dresser, tank stuff on the top drawer and a few bigger stuff in a closet (buckets, jugs, etc.). I could do the same but it would leave me with little room for anything else. In other words, I myself am living in a pico. ;)

Speaking of things taking up space, I have a jellyfish tank that's been sitting in my closet for the past two years. I keep telling myself to finally have it up and running but I can't even do that. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, el fabuloso said:

My pico setup was exactly that. Tank on a dresser, tank stuff on the top drawer and a few bigger stuff in a closet (buckets, jugs, etc.). I could do the same but it would leave me with little room for anything else. In other words, I myself am living in a pico. ;)

Speaking of things taking up space, I have a jellyfish tank that's been sitting in my closet for the past two years. I keep telling myself to finally have it up and running but I can't even do that. :rolleyes:

I've looked at those jelly tanks before, thought one would be pretty cool. Especially with one of those walnut jellyfish (I think that's what they're called). Have you had it running before? Are you impressed with it (even if you haven't got it running before)?

On 8/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, el fabuloso said:

#tinyhouseinthecity :lol:

• Haha 1
On 8/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, JoeR said:

I've looked at those jelly tanks before, thought one would be pretty cool. Especially with one of those walnut jellyfish (I think that's what they're called). Have you had it running before? Are you impressed with it (even if you haven't got it running before)?

It was one of those kickstarter things on Indiegogo. Specifically this one:

bvrdrvtukdava7ge2wqk.png

It's a five gallon acrylic tank and it seems like a pretty good tank but I have yet to run it. It's still in the box. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 year later...

Updates El Fab?  

I joined years ago and remember reading about your tank.  Am in the process of upgrading my equipment (to an AC 70) and re-stumbled up this thread.  Your honestly is commendable--I hope you are well, tank or not.  

--Superdave

• Like 1