inTank Media Baskets

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

What a bummer, man. I know it's gotta be tough but you have to remember how many people you've inspired and how many you'll continue to inspire even though it's gone.

I'd love to see you start up another some day.

Thanks everyone and yes there will be another pico someday just not anytime soon.

You're tank really did change my mind about picos. I once thought of them as small tanks to keep people happy at work for a few hours until they returned home to their tanks but yours was a full blown reef. Without a doubt one of the most interesting threads on N-R.com.

I always say that a pico—when done right—can be just as dynamic and enjoyable as any size tank. Maybe it was my dogged determination to keep everything in a pico that made me continue to push the limits. There seems to be this notion that a pico is merely an experimental tank for people who are new to this hobby and more often than not, most people do end up upgrading to larger tanks. But of course I wanted to prove people wrong and I'm really glad I went through with it for as long as I could. Thanks again for following along. :)

I think you are making a good decision.Alot of people said to keep it going when you posted your last pictures.I was the one who said put a bullet in it. YOU are the one who inspired alot of the pico tanks here.I have never had a pico but I recall when I first started I read your thread.You pushed the pico to the max.Speaking of the max how is it doing?

I remember you saying that but I had a hard time letting go. As for the MAX, everything is finally nice and cozy in there. I finally got around to rescaping it which I haven't done since the move. It also isn't fun when you have a tomato clown that's overprotective of her anemone. Otherwise everything looks good except I really need to scrape down all the coraline algae that's overgrowing all around the sides and the front of the tank. But a coraline infestation is the least of my worries. ;)

Mr. Microscope

Sad to see it go, but you and your pico are what got me into reefing. Thanks for your major contribution to the hobby. I say, plumb it into your bigger tank and turn it into a frag tank. ;)

I'm very sad that this has been taken down. It had a great life, and I bet you had tons of fun taking care of it, planning and building it.

Since you did take it down, I do have a question:

Did you at any point undergo a substrate change? Did you change out the sand or take everything out and clean the tank up any?

I think I am going to run my pico w/o doing any sort of changes like those, but I just wanted to know what you did with yours.

RIP Tank

Happy New Years.

Thanks guys and happy new year! :)

I was doing frequent water changes to keep nutrients down and I was just thinking about changing out the substrate when I noticed that the clam wasn't looking too good. And that's when I felt bad. Meanwhile the MAX was sitting in the living room running smoothly but still not completely put together from the move because I've been trying to concentrate all my efforts into bringing the pico back up. So I moved the clam, the pistol shrimp and the yasha goby over to the MAX and at that point I realized that the pico was just an empty box and it just didn't make sense to prolong the inevitable.

Well worth a try.

Oh hey, I have a spanish joke you have probably heard. I don't think anyone else on here would get it but here we go:

"Que hace el hombre en el mar?"

Un tío entra en una panadería y dice: "Me da una barra de pan."

El panadero respuestas: "Tendrá que ser duro."

Le trinca por la solapa, le da un par de bofetadas y le dice: "Me da una barra de pan!!!"

:happy:

I get it! I think?

He wants bread but the baker says it will be hard to do (and it could also mean the bread is stale, right?) so he gets mad and slaps him lol? Ahhh jokes in a second language are tough.

Close. The baker says it will be hard, or stale. But the punchline is in the misinterpretation of the phrase "Tendrá que ser duro" which could mean "It will be hard" (obviously the bread) or "you will have to be tough" hence why the man grabs and rough handles the baker. Entiendes?

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

It is sad to see this tank go. I remember following this thread a couple of years ago before I set my tank up. Your tank has been such and inspiration!!

Time for you to update the MAX thread with some pictures, etc!! I hope the MAX turns out as nice as the "Sexy Pico" did!!

BTW, do you have a thread for your 125 FOWLR set up?