Top Shelf Aquatics

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

animalmaster6
:lol: My goby is nice, he brings food to the pistol shrimps. I would love to think I have 4 or 5 baby pistol shrimps from when the femaloe was carrying them but I know they ate them :lol:

Ha Ha! great vid!! I love it when he says "... And the goby doesn't help. In fact if anything, it gets in the way..."

Yeah my yasha is the a total hog.... but my pistol comes out and seems happy and fat so my guess is the goby is sharing....

Would love to see your current list of corals that you have in this. Looks like a wide variety for a pico. I'm worried about trying to fit a monti or acro in my AP12, and seeing you do it in this gives me hope.

Current list:

• Yasha hase goby

• Tiger pistol shrimp

• 2 red legged hermits

• Crocea clam

• Orange montipora cap.

• Yellow sunset millepora

• Pink birdsnest

• Aussie delicate

• Unknown encrusting monti

• 3 unknown acro frags

• Orange yuma

• Florida rics

• Green striped mushrooms

• Xenia

• Blue cloves

• Random zoas

Most of the corals in my tank now are remnants from a time when my tank was filled to the brim with a lot more diversity.

CIMG7485.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

If I can stuff that much life in a three-gallon tank, you shouldn't have a problem fitting a monti or an acro in your AP12. ;)

Hey Fab! Tank is looking awesome! :)

have you made any changes to the filtration? you still using a moded A/C 70 Fuge?

what else have you added or changed to your setup ? :)

JC

Edited by jdskidawg
  • 1 month later...

After reading all the thread, and gaining some inspiration, I decided to build myself a pico. Thanks for putting so much good info and detail on this thread, I hope my pico will someday look as amazing as your.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Three Years Later

My little tank finally hit the three year mark this month and it's been somewhat of a bittersweet milestone to say the least. As some of you guys probably already know, I had to move last month and the tank did not cope well with the move this time around. All my SPS frags died and the survivors bleached out. Not to mention the tank is currently plagued with red slime algae.

CIMG3053.jpg

Bleached out ricordeas:

CIMG3054.jpg

Aside from the bleached out rics, I have two two hermits, the yasha-pistol pair and my crocea that's actually happy as a clam. Probably from all the nutrients.

CIMG3055.jpg

Now the big question is… where does it go from here? I feel that this tank still has a fighting chance and I could go back to basics and get everything back the way it was. Or I could easily move the survivors over to the Red Sea Max which would put an end to this pico once and for all.

So I thought I'd make a poll and get some feedback from everyone. Is this tank worth saving or is it time to put it to rest? Please cast your votes. Feedbacks, comments and words of encouragement are also welcome.

Dude, that is harsh. That having been said, you've come this far... 1096 days if my maths works... to tear it down now would be more of a dishonour to it than an honourable burial... if there's still hope, resurrect it. You know how to keep a pico just about as well as it's possible to know, if anybody's got the skills I think you'd be one of the picks man.

Let it live on. Shelf life is for suckers :)

I think part of the problem is that I had much bigger plans when I decided to turn it into an all-SPS tank almost a year ago. But things didn't exactly work out according to plan. :(

They seldom do, man. The art isn't in having everything going to plan and being able to say that it did, it's in being able to respond to hiccups in the recipe and correct it and still come out someplace good. You know how to do that well enough Fab, don't let this take that away from you.

Keep it going man, I know your tank was the inspiration for many of the picos alive today. I will admit that your tank is the reason I decided to start mine .

Hope to see it back to its glory days soon. Hang in there , dont throw in the towel.

Edited by jbb_00
animalmaster6

Another vote for keeping it up, it once looked incredible and it can look incredible again!! To be honest, if you want complete SPS, then turn your RSM into an SPS tank. I really, really miss the Overgrown Jungle. A little bit of trimming here and there and you could've kept it.

You are the Pico King of course ;)

• Like 1

You have to keep this going or at least start over. You and this tank are inspiration to a lot of people on this site including me. without you and this tank i probably wouldnt have made the decision to go for a 3 gal. Your tank was epic and there is no doubt in my mind you can make it just as epic the second time around. Your tank now is better than some of our tanks will ever be lmao! :lol:

You have to keep this going or at least start over. You and this tank are inspiration to a lot of people on this site including me. without you and this tank i probably wouldnt have made the decision to go for a 3 gal. Your tank was epic and there is no doubt in my mind you can make it just as epic the second time around. Your tank now is better than some of our tanks will ever be lmao! :lol:

+1,000,000

Don't just let it die. cyano is nothing, dont let something that silly take it down.

Why is the SPS pico idea not working out? (besides there being soft corals in the tank)