ReefCleaners.org

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Hey, look at that! You don't have to upgrade your lighting to go full sps! :lol: Wonder how that happened? ;)

Goes to show all the doubters that sps can be very healthy in a pico, and grown under LEDs to boot. Glad the fixture is doing well for you bud.

Hey fab! cant wait for all the new changes

are you still using the same ATO design you had started with

float switch to and extension cord air pump and reservoir

your tank looks so empty! It's fuller than both of mine though

It won't stay empty for long! ;)

What is your livestock? CUC I mean

All of my original CUC are long gone and with all the hitchhikers I have that do a good job at cleaning up, I've never felt the need to replace them.

Goes to show all the doubters that sps can be very healthy in a pico, and grown under LEDs to boot. Glad the fixture is doing well for you bud.

Exactly. It's just the kind of thing I like to show off to people who are convinced that you can't keep SPS in a pico or under LED's. :happy:

Hey fab! cant wait for all the new changes

are you still using the same ATO design you had started with

float switch to and extension cord air pump and reservoir

Yep! And now that I don't have to keep my water level too high, I can finally secure the float switch in place.

i would like to see how you made that ATO

Sent you a PM. ;)

are you wating to rid of the mushies you are goin to scrape off?

I already scraped the mushrooms out of this tank save for a couple I couldn't really get into. The ones that were pretty intact after scraping are now in the MAX. I tossed out the rest that were all mushed up.

What a road it's been to here, man. I've gotta admit I'm hoping like hell the pico I'm in the middle of getting up and running goes even remotely as well as yours has :) time shall tell how it goes for both of us being full SPS and LED, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

i read your posts on how you made the ato. wow. thats pretty creative. i am gonna try and make a float switch like yours, but where did u get the foam switch part from??? thanks!!!

There's not a whole lot to update on just yet. So far I've taken out all the LPS corals out of this tank and have moved them over to the MAX. All that's left are the SPS, rics, yumas, blue cloves, xenias and some rogue zoas. And a mushroom or two here and there that I can't get at. The cool thing though is that while moving things out of this tank, I found my sexy shrimp! I thought I'd lost them all but it turns out I still have one left though she pretty much hides most of the time. Problem needs some friends.

In the mean time I'm still looking for some SPS frags so I can get this thing rolling again. :)

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso

This tank continues to be neglected while I focus my attention on the MAX and the 125g behemoth I'm finally trying to get up and running. And no, I'm not allowing algae to grow out of control or neglecting on maintenance, I just haven't focused on restocking it with the frags I want. In other words, there still isn't a whole lot to look at. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso

A Sneak Peek of What's To Come

I know everyone's been wondering what's going on with this tank. Between focusing all my attention on getting the 125g FOWLR up and running and putting out disasters on the Miracle MAX, I haven't been putting a lot of time and effort into getting the SPS conversion finalized until last week when I finally got some new frags.

CIMG2065.jpg

CIMG2067.jpg

CIMG2068.jpg

CIMG2073.jpg

CIMG2078.jpg

As you can see, I haven't decided on where they'll eventually end up but that's something I'll have to figure out within the next week or so. And yes, that's a clam in there. A nice little crocea to be exact. :)

CIMG2081.jpg

As for the SPS frags that were already in this tank, they're growing and coloring up rather nicely.

CIMG2066.jpg

CIMG2074.jpg

Also, the yellowtail damsel has been removed from this tank and is now swimming happily in the 125g FOWLR. :happy:

SeaMonkeyz13

WoW! :o Awesome tANK Fab!, very great write up.....i been following this tread for a week and finally catch up....very inspiring.... :) i got the picotope fever now lol if you know what i mean.... i guess i'm plunge back in to saltwater hobby all over again after almost 2 year :lol: Ohhhh! also can you send me a pm on your setup for ATO thanks!

can't wait to see your other tanks come up!

D.

• 4 weeks later...
saltyliving

just jumped on here. NICE TANK!!!

Im going for the same type of look with my tank.

64 pages WOW can i get a quick equipment, dosing and mantinence overview?

Thank you i will get a thread statred on mine when i can figure out how to take some decent pics

el fabuloso
WoW! :o Awesome tANK Fab!, very great write up.....i been following this tread for a week and finally catch up....very inspiring.... :) i got the picotope fever now lol if you know what i mean.... i guess i'm plunge back in to saltwater hobby all over again after almost 2 year :lol: Ohhhh! also can you send me a pm on your setup for ATO thanks!

Thanks! I'd be happy to PM you my ATO write up. :)

just jumped on here. NICE TANK!!!

Im going for the same type of look with my tank.

64 pages WOW can i get a quick equipment, dosing and mantinence overview?

Thank you i will get a thread statred on mine when i can figure out how to take some decent pics

Thank you and congrats for finishing all 64 pages! lol As for equipment, I have an AC70 fuge running full blast with Chemi-Pure Elite and a Rio90 powerhead also running full blast. And obviously a heater. As for dosing, I dose with C-Balance two-part solution twice a day on top of weekly water changes to keep up with demands from all the SPS and the clam. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Looking awesome. :) this is going to be spectacular when it grows out!

I hope so but it's taking too long!!

Are you still using the LEDs for lighting? I am curious to see what kind of coloration you get with them. What % do you run your LEDs at?

Yes I am and I've gotten nothing but great colors from my corals, including SPS. I run the white LED's full tilt and the blue ones at about 90% for aesthetic reasons. At full blast the blues are rated at 15K which is way too blue for my taste.

I've been neglecting this tank yet again, mostly because i've been focusing a lot on the Red Sea Max and the 125g behemoth. I'm still keeping up with maintenance—with a bunch of SPS and a clam, I can't really afford not to. I did lose a couple of SPS frags though they were already somewhat compromised from shipping and just never recovered completely.

But today I decided to give the Max and the FOWLR a break and bring it back home to the pico and got some new additions. Instead of talking about it, I'll just cut to the chase and get on with the photos.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

:happy: