inTank Media Baskets

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

I'm still looking for a nice Blasto but with no luck. I found one at a LFS I infrequently visit with maybe 10–12 polyps but they want $100 for it. :blink: Seems like the best prices I've seen are online but I've yet to order corals online so the idea is a little daunting to me.

I was at Tropical Expressions today, they still have the red ones - is that where you were talking about? Too much for me to spend too, lol - although I just put down $80 for a Favia at Atlantis. :lol:

el fabuloso
Bummer. It's always that way when you have something specific in mind! I haven't had good luck ordering online (have only done it twice). Things come in too big for my tank...Much better to see what you're getting. My blasto started as a little 3 polyp frag I found on the substrate in a dealer's big tank. They may have wanted $15/polyp, if I remember right, but it was worth it. It's now a nice mound of about 30 polyps or so.

This is so true! But also part of the fun. I love the thrill of serendipitously finding that missing piece! :lol:

I was at Tropical Expressions today, they still have the red ones - is that where you were talking about? Too much for me to spend too, lol - although I just put down $80 for a Favia at Atlantis. :lol:

Nope, the one I saw was a nice green one at Green Valley. Do you know how much Jackie wants for the red ones?

Nope, the one I saw was a nice green one at Green Valley. Do you know how much Jackie wants for the red ones?

10 mouths for $90 I think it was; there was a smaller one (5-6 mouths) but I was afraid to ask, lol. Good thing I waited - did you see the two corals I picked up from Atlantis today? Check out my 13g. :lol:

el fabuloso

Xenias!

I've been determined to get some Xenia so I was absolutely thrilled to find this at my LFS:

CIMG4181.jpg

There are about six or seven stalks on a thin piece of rock so it's perfect for what I want to do. The plan is to have Xenia growing on the back wall (which I could very well regret later on considering their infamous reputation). I have the rock leaning against the back corner of my tank so hopefully they'll take off.

CIMG4182.jpg

I'm completely fascinated by their pulsing action and the sexy shrimps—which up to now have been busy hosting inanimate objects—instantly gravitated to them. One use to host the powerhead, the other the heater and the third was smitten with my Mag-Float. After everything got relegated to the fuge and I upgraded to the Nimble Nano, the shrimps haven't been the same. But they seem to be liking the Xenia a lot and appear to be hosting them. :wub:

General Update

I thought I'd post a general update on the other inhabitants for everyone to see where they're at. First off, the new green striped mushrooms are opening up pretty nicely. The stem that the big mushroom left behind has started growing a new cap.

CIMG4185.jpg

I've also discovered that one mushroom is not like the other ones. This one has a darker green color with red bumps instead of the green stripes that the other ones have, as you can see from the photo (third one at the bottom on the right). My runaway mushroom has grown tremendously in the little crevice he found for himself:

CIMG4187.jpg

He's wedged himself in a tight spot that's hard for me to photograph so the photo's a little blurry. But he looks to be about four times bigger than before!

The green star polyps have grown lush and thick that it's hard for me to see their mat during the day:

CIMG4189.jpg

CIMG4197.jpg

The daisy polpys on the other hand are worrying me. For a week now a majority of the polyps have remained close.

CIMG4190.jpg

At first I thought they may have been constantly disturbed by the hermits and the shrimps but I notice the same ones are always close so I'm keeping a close watch on them and hoping this is something temporary.

I'm glad to report that the zoas and plays are doing great and have grown new polyps. Some of them have also morphed into some interesting colors.

CIMG4191.jpg

Last but not least is my faithful orange yuma. While some zoas have succumbed to killer pods and the other corals (mushrooms especially) are prone to temperamental mood swings, this guy is just happy as can be and has never given me any grief or concern.

CIMG4198.jpg

Semper fideles little yuma. :happy:

That's so cool that you were able to find that xenia piece and that the sexy's like it!!

I think it looks great exactly where you've got it and I bet it won't be long before it's growing on the wall.

FYI, if you ever get tired of it and want to get it off the glass, you can peel it off like bubblegum and one quick slice with a razor blade or exacto knife and it's off. Super easy.

Yes, once Xenia's on the glass, you're home free!

Great find!

Loved all the pics. What a beautiful gsp colony! And I enjoyed the yuma story. Wow--beautiful and bulletproof, to boot! What a deal!

Nice sig. :)

--Diane

1+ Month

It's been a little over a month so I thought I'd update this thing. Nothing too exciting though but some progress nonetheless. My parameters have been really stable the past few weeks so I finally threw in some corals in the tank.

Got my hands on purple mushrooms and some "blue zoanthids." Forty bucks for both which I guess isn't bad.

Purple mushrooms:

CIMG2957.jpg

"Blue zoas:"

CIMG2956.jpg?t=1197014589

The zoanthid rock came with a bunch of crap. Mostly worms, a couple of feather dusters, brittle stars and I think some aiptasia too. One of the nassarius snails died so I'm now down to two. Not sure what happened though I did see another snail wrestling with it before I found its empty shell. In any case one of my hermits moved into it so he might've killed the snail himself.

CIMG2998.jpg

Other than that, I seem to be getting some good coralliine growth.

CIMG2963.jpg

CIMG2965.jpg

CIMG2966.jpg?t=1197015111

your doing great. nice tank.

el fabuloso

Thanks for all the compliments! Weetie, I'm sure your Xenia tip will come in handy once they start taking over my tank. Thank you.

Jonathan, did you want to point out/have any questions about my one month post? I'm a little confuse... :huh:

Thanks for all the compliments! Weetie, I'm sure your Xenia tip will come in handy once they start taking over my tank. Thank you.

Jonathan, did you want to point out/have any questions about my one month post? I'm a little confuse... :huh:

just complimenting the tank progress.

LaceySaysMeow

You have one of the most amazing picos I've seen.

Your sexies are, well, sexy<3

And all the corals are amazing. You are making me impatient to have my tank filled up :x

constantocean

I'm going to move to vegas. Together we shall start a sexy shrimp farm and take over every pico in the WORLD.

Edited by constantocean
el fabuloso
You have one of the most amazing picos I've seen.

Your sexies are, well, sexy<3

And all the corals are amazing. You are making me impatient to have my tank filled up :x

Thank you! I'm flattered. :happy:

I'm going to move to vegas. Together we shall start a sexy shrimp farm and take over every pico in the WORLD.

Sounds like a plan! Better yet we can have a sexy shrimp ranch. I don't think it'd be legal in Vegas though so we'd have to run our operation in Pahrump. :lol:

Sounds like a plan! Better yet we can have a sexy shrimp ranch. I don't think it'd be legal in Vegas though so we'd have to run our operation in Pahrump. :lol:

Lol! :lol:

O boy.

el fabuloso
That is a nice pico. I wish I would have gotten my son the JBJ and not the TOMS.

Simply incredible looking.

Kc3

Thank you! :blush:

I can only say great things about the Picotope. A lot of people pick the TOMS Deco over it because it has better stock lighting and filter. But people usually end up upgrading these stuff anyway and the Picotope holds up better and doesn't scratch because it's made of glass. The filter and the lighting may not be that great but you can still run it stock with some easy softies.

constantocean

+1

If I had gotten the JBJ from the start I wouldnt be upgrading so soon.

The deco isnt even acrylic, it straight up plastic and develops coralline faster than you could possibly imagine.

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso

BIG Update!

After what seemed like a long and endless search, I finally got my hands on the coveted Blastomussa merletti! I found a nice bunch at my LFS which also cost me a pretty penny but I like to think of it as an early birthday present to myself. :D

Here it is acclimating in my tank:

CIMG4292.jpg

The nice LFS guy threw in this crazy-looking palythoan polyp for free!

CIMG4293.jpg

Along with a blue-legged hermit:

CIMG4295.jpg

The B. merletti opened up nicely after a day in my tank:

CIMG4319.jpg

CIMG4303.jpg

One of the sexy shrimps inspecting the new paly:

CIMG4312.jpg

CIMG4357.jpg

Recent FTS after a bit of shuffling:

CIMG4298.jpg

CIMG4306.jpg

Other Updates

The Xenias haven't made it on the glass but are quickly migrating towards that direction.

CIMG4287.jpg

I finally found a good spot to keep all my mushrooms together.

CIMG4320.jpg

A rare sight of the sexy shrimps gathering in one place.

CIMG4270.jpg

Sexy pyramid!

CIMG4273.jpg

The only other time they're ever together in the same spot is during a feeding frenzy.

CIMG4323.jpg

I finally got some Lugol's Solution so I'll be dipping my sickly zoas to see if that helps. The daisy polyps still have not opened up completely and it's beginning to worry me. It's been over a month! Should I dose with iodine to see if it helps the tank overall? I'm afraid to dose... :unsure:

strangelove

I just saw the link to your pico, awesome tank, makes me want to start my pico project again. Must resist... I've got way to many projects going on right now. But now that I know about your tank, I'll be checking in.

:lol: Sexy Pyramid, they are like synchronized swimmers :lol:

CIMG4273.jpg

I'm so glad you found those blasto's, they look awesome in your tank!!

Those are the same ones I have and I love them, they're one of my favorites. You can feed frozen mysis to the individual heads. They'll probably grow faster if you do, but you don't absolutely have to. I rarely feed mine (I'm so bad about spot feeding corals. :( ) and they're still doing fine.

el fabuloso
I just saw the link to your pico, awesome tank, makes me want to start my pico project again. Must resist... I've got way to many projects going on right now. But now that I know about your tank, I'll be checking in.

Yay you found my tank! Welcome aboard. You gotta start a pico and you gotta put sexy shrimps in it so you can join the "Sexy Club." :D

I'm so glad you found those blasto's, they look awesome in your tank!!

Those are the same ones I have and I love them, they're one of my favorites. You can feed frozen mysis to the individual heads. They'll probably grow faster if you do, but you don't absolutely have to. I rarely feed mine (I'm so bad about spot feeding corals. :( ) and they're still doing fine.

They're an instant favorite for me and now I see what all the fuss is about! They're so stunning and I can't stop staring at them. lol I'm pretty bad at spot feeding corals too thank god my yuma doesn't eat!

wanna trade tanks dude? mines taking a turn towards sh*tville.

Sorry about your tank, I'm sure you'll recover and have your tank up and running great in no time! In the mean time though, I'm gonna have to put your membership in the Sexy Club on probation. :P