Innovative Marine Aquariums

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

I've been working hard to pick things up where I left off with my tank and have made some significant changes. I've inadvertently switched salts from Oceanic to Instant Ocean and I think my corals prefer the latter. I was completely out of salt and the LFS didn't have Oceanic so I settled for IO. Miraculously my corals—which have been looking rather drab—came back to life almost overnight after a water change so I don't know if the salt had anything to do with it. Maybe I had a bad batch of Oceanic? In any case, I'm thinking of giving Reef Crystals a try to see if there's any truth to their claims to having more calcium and etc.

The desert sun has been brutal and for a while I've been trying to keep my tank from getting too hot. So I decided to put my Rio 50 back in the tank to add more flow and in hopes that it would also help cool things down.

CIMG5475.jpg

It turned out to do just that and all the corals seem to appreciate the extra flow. :happy:

The orange plate had me worried for a while. It was doing fine the first couple of days and then all of a sudden it started bleaching and looked like it had some tissue recession. I thought it was a goner but then a week later it started regaining its color and had plumped up again.

CIMG5462.jpg

The Experiment

I've been talking about trying my hand at a Monti cap. and have finally found the perfect piece! I found this beautiful orange Monti cap at my LFS that's just the right size that I've been looking for and with one end already starting to scroll.

CIMG5467.jpg

CIMG5470.jpg

CIMG5468.jpg

CIMG5478.jpg

Right away I saw full polyp extension and so far has held up its color pretty well. Also it has now become a favorite hangout for my sexy shrimps.

CIMG5460.jpg

More Experimenting

While at the LFS I came across a beautiful bright green galaxy coral. I've read/heard from different sources about how aggressive they are so I've never even considered them. Then LFS guy tells me that this particular one was a "Nano Galaxy." He assures me that this one wasn't at all aggressive and proceeds to show me one sitting in his 12g display tank sitting right next to other corals. Even the one I was looking at was sitting in a tank full of corals and frags which looked cute compared to the angry-looking galaxy coral in another tank sitting all by itself in a corner covered with sweeper tentacles. I'm pretty sure he was lying but I was feeling adventurous and I gave into temptation...

CIMG5466.jpg

I'm keeping an eye on it and if it starts attacking any of its neighbors I'll transfer it to the M9 Tank. It seems to have acclimated well into my tank and has also held up its color. I placed it in a low flow area as to discourage it from spreading sweeper tentacles despite the LFS guy's reassurance (I still think he's lying).

CIMG5471.jpg

I also placed a piece of rubble to corral the galaxy from the yuma. So far it seems to be playing nice even with the mushrooms occasionally brushing up against it. I'm keeping my eyes peeled nonetheless.

New FTS

CIMG5463.jpg

CIMG5464.jpg

CIMG5465.jpg

CIMG5480.jpg

CIMG5481.jpg

el fabuloso
Tank looks awesome! Love the monti....I remeber when mine was that big!

Thanks! Your montis look great, one of the things that inspired me to try my hand at one. It's amazing how much their shape and texture adds to the tank!

Damn. I'm jealous. Mine looks like a barren desert landscape at this point. :(

I remember when my tank was barren. How far along are you with your tank? It's always better to stock it slow than to do it all at once.

I remember when my tank was barren. How far along are you with your tank? It's always better to stock it slow than to do it all at once.

Well, someday I'll get my ass motivated and do a tank thread. It's about 5 weeks old, and has some anthelia, a selection of rics, zoas and palys with one kickass rhodactis (that just split :)). I had a fast cycle, because I use long cured, very porous LR that was transported in water about 15 minutes from work :)

el fabuloso

Green Clown Goby

After much deliberation I've finally settled on a green clown goby to add to my tank. His personality caught my attention at the LFS as he actively swam back and forth. At an inch long he's also plump for a clown goby which I took as a good sign. I was also told that he's been eating just about everything so I decided to take him home.

CIMG5517.jpg

He's still getting use to the tank and although he doesn't hide, he often freaks out and darts all over the place only to return to the same spot. It's actually quite entertaining to watch. He's not eating as much as I want him to but I'm hoping this will change in a week or two. So far he's been nibbling at some of the brine shrimp and cyclop-eeze that I throw at him. He's definitely taken a liking to the ricordeas and is often found chilling around them.

CIMG5519.jpg

A funny thing he does is swim up and down one side of the glass almost like he's looking for a way out. I'm guessing this goes away once he's completely settled and realizes that he's got a whole tank all to himself. :happy:

Very nice job!

I hope your monti is a success, i would be scared to have any SPS in the desert without a good chiller on hand.How have you found your sexy shrimp with your zoanthus and mushroom's? I have been tempted to try a few out in my 10g but I'm concerned with them picking at my corals too much.

el fabuloso

Thanks! The monti is actually doing well. I had a little problem with temperature fluctuation at the beginning of the summer but I've been able to work around it.

As for the sexy shrimps, I have not had any incidents with them picking at my corals. I find that regular feedings help a lot. It's when they're hungry that they're like to pick at corals as they rummage and look for food.

Thanks! The monti is actually doing well. I had a little problem with temperature fluctuation at the beginning of the summer but I've been able to work around it.

As for the sexy shrimps, I have not had any incidents with them picking at my corals. I find that regular feedings help a lot. It's when they're hungry that they're like to pick at corals as they rummage and look for food.

Awesome I think I will pick up a couple today and see how they do.Are you feeding mysis?

appsgang43
Week 9

It's been nine weeks and things are looking good. My parameters have been stable and every thing's growing in nicely. Everyday has been a constant battle to keep coralline algae off the glass but I guess that's a good thing.

My three blue leg hermits have gotten bigger so I'll have to get more shells for them to grow into. The nassarius trio are down to one and with my algae in check I don't intend on adding more anytime soon. Hitchhikers everywhere—brittle stars, mystery snails, chitons, all sorts of worms, hydroids and lots of pods. I discover something new almost everyday.

I got my hands on an orange ricordea and more zoas. I'm starting to grow an addiction for zoas. At first I was a little worried about putting them in my tank since I got them from a shallow tank with halides but they seem to have adjusted to my tank just fine. On to the pictures...

The front

CIMG3626.jpg?t=1199427320

From the left

CIMG3620.jpg?t=1199428892

From the right

CIMG3621.jpg?t=1199428916

The blue zoas showing some growth.

CIMG3622.jpg?t=1199429015

Purple mushrooms

CIMG3623.jpg?t=1199429083

Orange ricordea. The feather duster below it came with the rock. There's also a smaller ricordea on the top that gets indirect lighting through a hole in the rock.

CIMG3628.jpg?t=1199429229

I found this branching coral covered with green/orange zoas and I couldn't resist. Plus it's the perfect size for my tank.

CIMG3625.jpg?t=1199429527

Top-down view (sorta):

CIMG3629.jpg?t=1199429741

View from afar:

CIMG3630.jpg?t=1199429645

Do you remove rocks when you add your Zoa's, or are they not attached to anything when you put them in your tank? If not how do you add them. Very nice tank, I have an 8 gal Bio that I am struggling with.

hey for your light fixture, where did you buy the feets at? or does it come with it?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13637

I clicked more info and it stated "Apply the four rubber feet (supplied) to the underside of the fixture to elevate the light fixture above the aquarium 1/4". You may also use the fixture mounting brackets to elevate the fixture above your aquarium (sold separately)." But I can't find them on the site

hey for your light fixture, where did you buy the feets at? or does it come with it?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13637

I clicked more info and it stated "Apply the four rubber feet (supplied) to the underside of the fixture to elevate the light fixture above the aquarium 1/4". You may also use the fixture mounting brackets to elevate the fixture above your aquarium (sold separately)." But I can't find them on the site

The feet are included in the box ...

el fabuloso
Sooooo beautiful. Thats one big clown goby!

Thanks! He's huge and fat, which was definitely a selling point for me. A lot of the clown gobies I see on sale are tiny and emaciated.

looks sooo pretty.Makes me want to start a pico :happy:

Do it! IMO picos are not all that hard to maintain. There's something satisfying about being able to keep a thriving chunk of the ocean in a small box. The smaller the better! :lol:

Do you remove rocks when you add your Zoa's, or are they not attached to anything when you put them in your tank? If not how do you add them. Very nice tank, I have an 8 gal Bio that I am struggling with.

Zoas almost always come attached whether it's only one head, a small frag or a big colony. Aside from the colony that's on my combo rock, most of my zoas come in small frags or branches. I prefer these because they're usually just the right size for my tank and I can also easily glue them on my live rock where they can grow and spread.

I think some places sell them separately but I got mine from Big Al's and it came with the legs. Link

Awesome tank!

I really want to start a pico....

:happy:

And that monti is gorgeous, and sexy shrimp are the bomb :P

Thank you! Sexy shrimps are awesome, no pico should be without one. They're just full of personality and spunk! You should definitely start a pico with some sexy shrimps so you can join the sexy club. B)

• 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso
he fab! hows the monti doing? has it grown anything yet???

The monti is doing surprisingly well. It has kept its color more than I expected.

CIMG5547.jpg

I'm not expecting for it to have a lot of growth under 36W PC but after comparing the photos from when I first got it three weeks ago, it does show some noticeable growth. I'm also noticing more polyp concentrations in parts that use to be bare so I guess that's a good thing.

Three weeks ago:

CIMG5468.jpg

Now:

CIMG5549.jpg

Wow.gif

lol... thanks Weetie! :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Fabby, your tank is such an inspiration and the impetus for my newbie venture into a 4 gal Finnex. (The LFS guy laughed when I told him the size of my tank. :angry: ) Just mixing up my first batch of seawater tonight, getting ready for LR and sand day after tomorrow... :D

Hey Fab, that galaxy is really cool. Are you having to feed it plankton? What about the monti? If you are feeding plankton, what type, how much, and how often? Thanks! That monti looks so good, I think I want to try an Idaho grape.

Wow!! :o

just read through all 12 pages and that about sums it up for me!

the tank looks awesome and i wish i had the money to set up a little pico. Do the sexies thrive in smaller tanks better than big tanks? They just look so small....

dang, fab! that is one sexy tank! B) i usually don't care much for montis but that does accent it just right!

amazing tank evolution! ntotm nominee! *thumbsup*

el fabuloso
Fabby, your tank is such an inspiration and the impetus for my newbie venture into a 4 gal Finnex. (The LFS guy laughed when I told him the size of my tank. :angry: ) Just mixing up my first batch of seawater tonight, getting ready for LR and sand day after tomorrow... :D

Awww... thanks! Good to know I can inspire people. :happy: Picos are lots of fun. Most people are skeptical about picos especially when you're new to the hobby. I remember the first time I told my LFS guy how big my tank is he looked at me like I was crazy. Every time I walked in he would ask me (with a sly grin on his face) how my tank is doing and hoping to hear the worst. Now he puts up a picture of my tank behind the register and proudly points it out to people that it can be done! :lol:

Hey Fab, that galaxy is really cool. Are you having to feed it plankton? What about the monti? If you are feeding plankton, what type, how much, and how often? Thanks! That monti looks so good, I think I want to try an Idaho grape.

Hey! Long time no hear. How's the pico? The galaxy is doing surprisingly well. I feed my tank every week with a concoction of tank water, ZoPlan, chopped up silversides, cyclop-eeze (or mysis) and a little Seachem Reef Plus. Once a week, the night before my water change, I'll throw out the filter floss and turn the powerhead off. I feed the shrimps and the hermits first so they don't steal food from the corals. I'll spot feed the yumas, rics, blastos and plate coral with larger pieces of silversides. The galaxy and some of the larger palys get the smaller bits. I suck up the leftover "soup" with a baster and blast it at the monti, the zoas and the feather dusters. The whole tank goes into a feeding frenzy and my goby goes nuts! I don't put a new filter floss in until my water change the following day giving the plankton some time to drift around the tank.

Wow!! :o

just read through all 12 pages and that about sums it up for me!

the tank looks awesome and i wish i had the money to set up a little pico. Do the sexies thrive in smaller tanks better than big tanks? They just look so small....

Thank you! The initial cost to set up a pico isn't that much especially if you plan ahead. Sexy shrimps really stand out in a pico and are much happier having a whole tank all to themselves. Yes, they're tiny but don't let their small size fool you, they have big personalities! :lol:

dang, fab! that is one sexy tank! B) i usually don't care much for montis but that does accent it just right!

amazing tank evolution! ntotm nominee! *thumbsup*

Thanks! The monti is actually doing well. The color has faded a little bit which I expected it to do under PC lighting but it's not too bad. It's also growing more than I expected.

More Zoas

Last week I found some zoa frags at another LFS that were just the right size for my tank. I picked up three frags to displace the mushroom rock which has pretty much been bare since most of the mushrooms have drifted off elsewhere.

I'm not a label whore when it comes to zoas so I don't know what they are but I like their colors:

CIMG5613.jpg

CIMG5614.jpg

CIMG5612.jpg

I found the third frag on the sand in the back of the tank at the LFS and thought it had some potential so I picked it up:

CIMG5617.jpg

Now I have a nice zoa garden corralling my plate coral:

CIMG5618.jpg

Top-down view:

CIMG5619.jpg

New FTS:

CIMG5609.jpg

Goby Update

My green clown goby has finally settled in my tank after two weeks. He's gained a lot of confidence and meticulously surveys his domain.

CIMG5591.jpg

CIMG5600.jpg

At first he wouldn't swim far from the rics (one green one in particular) but now he has made the monti his new home and it's quite a sight to behold:

CIMG5601.jpg

CIMG5599.jpg

CIMG5608.jpg