Coral Vue Hydros

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

Weetie and Diane, you guys have been a tremendous help and an inspiration! Thanks for all your insight and support. :happy:

Texx, my Xenia stalks have grown into a Xenia forest but they haven't left the rock! I'm still waiting for one of them to get on the glass.

constantocean
Weetie and Diane, you guys have been a tremendous help and an inspiration! Thanks for all your insight and support. :happy:

Texx, my Xenia stalks have grown into a Xenia forest but they haven't left the rock! I'm still waiting for one of them to get on the glass.

my xenia are inching towards the glass a little closer everyday! Too bad I am shrimpless and fishless at the moment. the corals certainly pretty but I find without my fish or shrimp I hardly ever even look at my tank.

constantocean
When are you getting sexy shrimps again? You're missing all the fun at the Sexy Club!

well I got rid of the coral that ate the first two.

So just as soon as I spot them at an LFS, they are mine.

However, thats a rare occasion in my parts I NEVER see them, I might have to break down and pay for shipping costs to order them online.

I even work in an LFS and they are never on the order list from any of our suppliers.

el fabuloso

Harvesting Chaetomorpha

I recently just realized how much my chaeto has grown since I've kept it in the fuge. I'm astonished at how fast it's growing!

I started from this...

CIMG4011.jpg

...to this!

CIMG4529.jpg

My fuge is literally brimming to the top with chaeto.

CIMG4530.jpg

I found some cool critters in my fuge while harvesting the tangled mess.

CIMG4531.jpg

I really feel bad weeding and throwing some of these stuff out knowing that some people out there are probably in need of it. :(

lol, don't feel bad - between my tank and the 135g, I probably throw away a 5g bucket's worth every month. I've offered it (free, mind you) to our LFS's, but they all passed. Idiots. :rolleyes:

constantocean

Hey sexy club president,

you'll be happy to know I'll be back in action as the vice president in a week.

My LFS is ordering me a trio of sexies.

HOPEFULLY THESE ONES DONT GET EATEN/DISAPPEAR.

edit: retort spelling.

Edited by constantocean
el fabuloso
Hey sexy club president,

you'll be happy to know I'll be back in action as the vice president in a week.

My LFS is ordering me a trio of sexies.

HOPEFULLY THESE ONES DONT GET EATEN/DISAPPEAR.

Sweet! Get your butt in the Sexy Club already!

Hey well I'm happy to say that I started my Pico which will house a couple Sexies, i've been inspired. Where can I pick up my sexy badge of honor :lol:

Yay! I'm glad to hear that. :happy: Make sure to take pics and post 'em up in the Sexy Thread.

Hey - I love your tank man...

If you're looking to upgrade to alittle over 6.5G I just built a 24x8x8 pico for a guy in michigan who has since stopped returning my emails, so whatever happened, I wanna get rid of this tank....

I think you could really do something cool with a pico like that...

anyway - if you're interested in that, or any custom pico for that matter, shoot me a PM

(btw I'm talking about acrylic incase you didn't know)

el fabuloso

Day 153

I'm happy to report that my tank is doing well. Aside from a small infestation of bubble algae and a small aiptasia problem, I'm no longer plagued with nuisance algae as my tank begins to mature.

Some bad news: Last week I noticed that three of my blasto heads were pining away and I couldn't tell why until today. It turns out that a sneaky little aiptasia has wedged itself between my blastos and has been stinging them to death!

CIMG4626.jpg

I made a mad dash to my LFS looking for some Joe's Juice only to find that they didn't have any. The LFS guy sold me Elimi-Aiptas by Tropic Marin instead and said that it works better than Joe's Juice. I'm not sure if this is true but I hope it works nonetheless. :(

Some good news: My coral inhabitants are not only thriving but are also growing! My birthday zoas are growing new polyps and are coloring up nicely.

CIMG4621.jpg

CIMG4622.jpg

CIMG4624.jpg

My freebie paly polyp by far has shown the most growth. It went from one polyp to eight in a little over a month!

CIMG4620.jpg

The baby yuma on the other hand isn't growing nearly as fast but it's interesting to watch it develop. It's finally starting to look like a yuma with tentacles radiating from its mouth.

CIMG4627.jpg

I'm finding daisy polyps in weird places. These things are growing everywhere! Like daisies!! :o

CIMG4633.jpg

The back corner of my tank has turned into a Xenia jungle. None of them have made it on the glass which is where I want them to go. They're mostly growing towards the rock instead. <_<

CIMG4628.jpg

There is one stalk that seems to be moving towards the glass as seen from this night shot:

CIMG4502.jpg

Future Plans

How much more can I put into a pico? Plenty! :lol: Some people think I'm crazy for wanting to put more corals in my tank which is already filled up as it is. When I look at my tank, I see empty spaces and I can't hep but imagine what I can fill those spaces with.

Here's a visual of what I've been thinking about adding and where I want to place them:

TankPlan.jpg

• More Ricordeas: As most people know, I can't get enough of my yuma so I definitely want more! There's a lot of empty space on the right side of my tank which I think would look really nice covered with more Ricordeas, preferably yumas. I haven't seen any rics at any of my LFS so this will be an ongoing hunt.

• More Zoas: The proliferation of my birthday zoas have renewed my faith in all zoanthids. With that, I want more interesting and colorful zoas to line the left side of my tank. I'm looking for small frags that I can glue on the rock.

• Small Plate Coral: Diane's baby plate has been very inspirational so I'm reserving the empty space in front of my tank for one of my own. I'm on the hunt for a small plate but so far all the ones I've come across are too big for my tank.

• Montipora Cap: Recently I saw a bunch of orange Montipora cap. frags at my LFS and felt the urge to experiment. Maybe I'm being too ambitious but I feel that the empty space on the top of my tank would be a great spot for one. I would relocate the branching coral rock to my friend's 9g, which still has a couple of zoas left from an old colony that was wiped out.

I'm somewhat nervous about adding a monti in my tank though it appears that people have successfully kept them under lighting that's similar to mine. Thanks Diane for the vote of confidence! :)

I love daisy polyps, once they have settled in, they take off big time! I had them growing on the back wall of my 24g ap, it's cool how fast their root system spreads.

Now that is one Sexay tank! B)

Great pics, and the remainder of the stocking plan sounds good. I'm curious about how the monti will do.

Your sexies look happy!

constantocean

Great pics, and the remainder of the stocking plan sounds good. I'm curious about how the monti will do.

Your sexies look happy!

Ditto for my curiousity on the monti. Interested to see how that turns out.

el fabuloso
I love daisy polyps, once they have settled in, they take off big time! I had them growing on the back wall of my 24g ap, it's cool how fast their root system spreads.

No kidding! Most of them are connected by their stolon but I'm finding some polyps growing in places that are completely isolated from the colony. I find this weird. :huh:

Your sexies look happy!

Ditto for my curiousity on the monti. Interested to see how that turns out.

Thanks Kim! The monti will be a fun little experiment and I'll definitely update you guys on how well it will do. Hopefully my LFS still has some good frags left. Is $45 reasonable for a Monti cap. frag? Of course this is at that one LFS where everything I want/buy is $45. <_<

Is $45 reasonable for a Monti cap. frag? Of course this is at that one LFS where everything I want/buy is $45. <_<

Depends on the size of the frag... but have you checked with local reefers? You can usually get small frags on the cheap.

Day 153

I'm happy to report that my tank is doing well. Aside from a small infestation of bubble algae and a small aiptasia problem, I'm no longer plagued with nuisance algae as my tank begins to mature.

Some bad news: Last week I noticed that three of my blasto heads were pining away and I couldn't tell why until today. It turns out that a sneaky little aiptasia has wedged itself between my blastos and has been stinging them to death!

CIMG4626.jpg

I made a mad dash to my LFS looking for some Joe's Juice only to find that they didn't have any. The LFS guy sold me Elimi-Aiptas by Tropic Marin instead and said that it works better than Joe's Juice. I'm not sure if this is true but I hope it works nonetheless. :(

Some good news: My coral inhabitants are not only thriving but are also growing! My birthday zoas are growing new polyps and are coloring up nicely.

CIMG4621.jpg

CIMG4622.jpg

CIMG4624.jpg

My freebie paly polyp by far has shown the most growth. It went from one polyp to eight in a little over a month!

CIMG4620.jpg

The baby yuma on the other hand isn't growing nearly as fast but it's interesting to watch it develop. It's finally starting to look like a yuma with tentacles radiating from its mouth.

CIMG4627.jpg

I'm finding daisy polyps in weird places. These things are growing everywhere! Like daisies!! :o

CIMG4633.jpg

The back corner of my tank has turned into a Xenia jungle. None of them have made it on the glass which is where I want them to go. They're mostly growing towards the rock instead. <_<

CIMG4628.jpg

There is one stalk that seems to be moving towards the glass as seen from this night shot:

CIMG4502.jpg

Future Plans

How much more can I put into a pico? Plenty! :lol: Some people think I'm crazy for wanting to put more corals in my tank which is already filled up as it is. When I look at my tank, I see empty spaces and I can't hep but imagine what I can fill those spaces with.

Here's a visual of what I've been thinking about adding and where I want to place them:

TankPlan.jpg

• More Ricordeas: As most people know, I can't get enough of my yuma so I definitely want more! There's a lot of empty space on the right side of my tank which I think would look really nice covered with more Ricordeas, preferably yumas. I haven't seen any rics at any of my LFS so this will be an ongoing hunt.

• More Zoas: The proliferation of my birthday zoas have renewed my faith in all zoanthids. With that, I want more interesting and colorful zoas to line the left side of my tank. I'm looking for small frags that I can glue on the rock.

• Small Plate Coral: Diane's baby plate has been very inspirational so I'm reserving the empty space in front of my tank for one of my own. I'm on the hunt for a small plate but so far all the ones I've come across are too big for my tank.

• Montipora Cap: Recently I saw a bunch of orange Montipora cap. frags at my LFS and felt the urge to experiment. Maybe I'm being too ambitious but I feel that the empty space on the top of my tank would be a great spot for one. I would relocate the branching coral rock to my friend's 9g, which still has a couple of zoas left from an old colony that was wiped out.

I'm somewhat nervous about adding a monti in my tank though it appears that people have successfully kept them under lighting that's similar to mine. Thanks Diane for the vote of confidence! :)

Now, that was one great post! To begin with, the pics were excellent, and you had a lot of 'em! :D

All in all, it's better to find out an Aiptasia is the problem with one of your corals than a lot of other things that are harder to treat...glad you caught it early as that's such a sweet Blasto!

It's a sign of your skill that everything is growing so well in your tank, and I can't get enough of that yuma. And its little offshoot as well--you sure get great pics of that! And it's so amazing looking!

I think it'd be great fun to find daisy polyps springing up all over, and your Xenia is certainly doing well, even if it's stubborn about the wall. It's so close now, I'd think it's bound to attach soon! Cute how your sexies were huddled up in it at night. :D

I esp. like the fts/future plans diagram and explanation. Wish I were that good at photo handling & formatting! Your plans look very exciting and as far as trying something like the monti--what have you got to lose? Maybe you'll be a pioneer. B)

Good luck finding a small plate! I know what you mean--I love the behemoths at the lfs's but they can be half the size of my tank or more! There are some naturally smaller species, and you may have to try online or talk to an lfs about ordering you one. Or maybe one of the reefers lucky enough to have a lot of plate generating sites will have some available...? They are incredibly cool corals!

And as I've said before, that blasto looks so nice there!

--Diane