Pod Your Reef

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

constantocean
Wow, that tank is a rock pile! I personally don't like that look and prefer tanks that are clean and simple. How are you going to fix all the dead spots in a tank that crowded?

havent quite thought about that yet, guess I'll have to leave a little bit more space than that. I'm also thinking about getting a 5.5. up and running too, so maybe I'll save that type of design for my 5.5. Going frag hunting today so maybe I'll pick something up.

Nice Pico!

I will definitely be following this one.

Thanks! I'm trying to keep my tank as simple as possible and with minimal care. And by minimal I mean no skimmer, no fuge and no dosing of any kind. Regular water changes and maintenance are obviously important especially for a tank this size. So far it's been good and everything in my tank seems to be thriving so it's definitely possible.

• Like 1

IMO, a fuge becomes nothing more than a novelty item in a tank this small. I'm sure it helps but I don't think it's significant enough to have to go through all the trouble of rigging a HOB filter to make one.

• Like 1

I do a 10% water change every week. I take out 40 oz. (~1.25 liters) using a graduated bucket that I got from Lowe's. With all the rocks in my tank this is probably more than 10% but it seems to be working for me.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: There isn't much of an update to post. I'm currently on the hunt for a crab that may be responsible for the the decimation of my lush colony of yellow-orange zoas. After doing some research it sounds like it might be a xanthid crab so I definitely want to get him out to confirm.

My purple mushroom has split yet again. Yay for me!

My pods are getting big in size and are beginning to look like cockroaches. Is this normal?

When I set up this tank I had every intention of keeping everything stock and everything has been running great. But lately I've been entertaining the idea of upgrading my lighting, to see if things can get even better and now that idea is in the works. I was mostly inspired by this tank. But mostly I'm just bored. So much for "keepin' it real." :P

Stay tuned.

Gee, I've been subscribed to this thread but apparently have yet to post! Well, fab, I've been really loving it so far...I like it just as much as the one you linked to, which is also very nice. I think whatever direction you go you'll be happy...Great job so far!

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Day 105

My tank has officially been up and running for a full 105 days (I like odd numbers). Last weekend I found a combo rock at my LFS that's just the right size with just the right stuff on it for my tank. The rock is covered with various zoas, button polyps, daisy polyps and GSP.

CIMG3824.jpg

I swapped this in with the piece of live rock I had sitting on the top, just when it had finally won a long battle with cyano.

I've also upgraded my light to the Current Dual Satellite which kicks my light up to 36 watts. And I must say it has definitely made a big difference. Aesthetics aside, my corals never looked happier with full polyp extension.

CIMG3852.jpg

FTS

CIMG3821.jpg

From the left

CIMG3826.jpg

From the right

CIMG3825.jpg

Top-down

CIMG3853.jpg

Button polyps

CIMG3828.jpg

Daisy polyps

CIMG3827.jpg

Various zoas. The small cluster of daisy polyps next to them broke off from the colony on the other side.

CIMG3829.jpg

The green star polyp sits proudly in the back.

CIMG3830.jpg

Actinics only

CIMG3860.jpg

Night shot with the lunar light.

CIMG3867.jpg

My goal is to create different focal points from different angles. So even though my tank looks full, I can still see some good places to fill in. At this point I feel like I'm up to the brim with zoas so no more zoas. Maybe a striped mushroom to complement my purple mushrooms. I'm also thinking of getting some xenia but a little worried about it possibly taking over my tank. Some sexy shrimps are definitely in the works though.

Stay tuned.

• Like 2

Nice, I haven't been there in a while, that's why I didn't see it, hehe. They had a nasty flatworm outbreak a while back, I'm still pretty wary about the reef stuff.

Nice, I haven't been there in a while, that's why I didn't see it, hehe. They had a nasty flatworm outbreak a while back, I'm still pretty wary about the reef stuff.

Meh, it's close to me and they're friendly and helpful. I just wish their stuff wasn't so bloody expensive. <_<

I'm Bringing Sexy Back

Sexy shrimps that is. I put in a special order through my favorite LFS and finally got them over the weekend. Wow. They're a lot smaller than I imagined with a lot more attitude! And since they apparently do better in odd number groups, I made sure to get three. Which works for me since I like odd numbers.

CIMG3907.jpg

CIMG3900.jpg

CIMG3899.jpg

They go off to do their own thing for the most part but every now and then they like to congregate on the palys and zoas. This is where they do their little dance off.

CIMG3885.jpg

I've heard of sexy shrimps harassing polyps and zoas so I've been keeping an eye on my corals. So far they've been doing a good job of leaving them alone. When they first got in the tank most of the polyps retracted as they wandered around and stepped on them. But now it seems as though all the corals have gotten use to them as they allow the shrimps to gracefully dance over their polyps.

CIMG3884.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how much attitude and personality these little guys have despite their small size. They're definitely an endless source of entertainment as they're fun and interesting to watch.

Day 105

My tank has officially been up and running for a full 105 days (I like odd numbers). Last weekend I found a combo rock at my LFS that's just the right size with just the right stuff on it for my tank. The rock is covered with various zoas, button polyps, daisy polyps and GSP.

CIMG3824.jpg

I swapped this in with the piece of live rock I had sitting on the top, just when it had finally won a long battle with cyano.

I've also upgraded my light to the Current Dual Satellite which kicks my light up to 36 watts. And I must say it has definitely made a big difference. Aesthetics aside, my corals never looked happier with full polyp extension.

CIMG3852.jpg

FTS

CIMG3821.jpg

From the left

CIMG3826.jpg

From the right

CIMG3825.jpg

Top-down

CIMG3853.jpg

Button polyps

CIMG3828.jpg

Daisy polyps

CIMG3827.jpg

Various zoas. The small cluster of daisy polyps next to them broke off from the colony on the other side.

CIMG3829.jpg

The green star polyp sits proudly in the back.

CIMG3830.jpg

Actinics only

CIMG3860.jpg

Night shot with the lunar light.

CIMG3867.jpg

My goal is to create different focal points from different angles. So even though my tank looks full, I can still see some good places to fill in. At this point I feel like I'm up to the brim with zoas so no more zoas. Maybe a striped mushroom to complement my purple mushrooms. I'm also thinking of getting some xenia but a little worried about it possibly taking over my tank. Some sexy shrimps are definitely in the works though.

Stay tuned.

Aaron,

Just had to copy these pics to this page of your thread. I love that new rock--what a great find! All that variety growing together so naturally in such a perfect capstone to your 'scape. Your fts's are totally captivating! What a super job. Everything seems to be in just the right proportion and your color palette varies so harmoniously.

I know what you mean about different focal points, tho I can't say I created any on purpose--they just sort of happened. But anyway, you've just reminded me of a fairly recent set of pics I took of my tank from an unusual--for me--angle. Must post those...but I digress...

I've always wanted to have sexies! I just kind of managed to fill up with other things, tho, so I'll have to enjoy them vicariously through your posts. You are a great writer! Keep those updates coming. (Great photographer, too.)

--Diane

PS: When thinking of things to add--ever consider an lps or 2? IME Blastomussa merleti and candy canes are hardy lps's that do not look out of proportion in a small tank...if you can find small frags to start with, of course.

I'm so glad Diane posted and replied on those pics, I wouldn't have seen them otherwise!

This tank is looking really nice, I'm impressed!

I've always wanted sexies too, I've just been afraid they'd nibble my corals.

I've always been intrigued by them though.

Thank you both, I'm extremely flattered by your compliments! :blush:

Diane, I've been thinking about adding some LPS in my tank, especially now that I have some better lighting. Candy canes have crossed my mind so I could possibly try my hand at that. I've also thought about getting a fox coral, which oddly enough I don't seem to find a whole lot in people's tanks—as hardy and easy as they sound. There's a few of them at my LFS though. I also found a nice Goniopora that would make a nice center piece in my tank. I'm tempted to take it home but I also hear how difficult they are to keep for any length of time. :( I haven't considered a B. marleti until you mentioned it and it might just be the thing to add some color in my tank. So I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. Thanks for the tip!

I'll definitely try to catch a footage of my sexy trio doing their little dance for you all to see!

More Mushrooms and Video Link

CIMG3969.jpg

I picked up some green striped mushrooms, about ten of them on a cookie-shaped rock. Not sure yet where in my tank I should put them but the big one has already took off and decided to find himself a little nook. A bit of rearranging may be in order to make room for more stuff.

I also have a video footage that shows my tank from different perspectives with a couple of the sexy shrimps caught on tape. With narration too! :P

Edited by el fabuloso

What an awesome sexy dance video!

That whole butt-waving routine was something else!

I like Fox Corals, but wouldn't they be a little large for this tank?

Red Goni's are MUCH hardier than green ones, but also more expensive. BibleSue has a REALLY cool one that's definitely the centerpiece of her tank and quite healthy.

Candycane and B. Merletti would probably both work well.

I think you need to fill in the back left corner of your tank a little more.

Cool new mushies, I've got some of those too.