SaltCritters.com

Are these Spaghetti worms?

saltman123

So for the past few weeks I have what I first thought was just some red stringy type algae growing out of the sand in one spot. Today, my hermit decided to hang out there and I got a new camera so I was taking some close ups and realized that these things may be alive!

Are these Spaghetti worms? I did some searching around and think that is what someone else confirmed they had and it looked the same.

Here is a picture. At first I thought they were just moving with the current, but now think that they are alive.

IMG_0273.jpg

Very cool then.

Just one worm? How is it all connected to itself? If I moved it or tried to dig it what would happen? Just curious.

that is what i know it as. does it look more like this when it is not in the sand?

post-32227-1195020432.jpg

post-32227-1195020490.jpg

So for the past few weeks I have what I first thought was just some red stringy type algae growing out of the sand in one spot. Today, my hermit decided to hang out there and I got a new camera so I was taking some close ups and realized that these things may be alive!

Are these Spaghetti worms? I did some searching around and think that is what someone else confirmed they had and it looked the same.

Here is a picture. At first I thought they were just moving with the current, but now think that they are alive.

IMG_0273.jpg

Why does this picture remind me of an old Godzilla movie.

I've never seen it out of the sand. I actually thought it was algae so I poked at it with my tweezers the other day trying to scoop it out and then decided to just let it be. I am glad I did since I wasn't even aware that it was alive and moving.

I have tons of those white looking 1or 2 tentacle worms that hang out in the sand, but this is my first colorful one. As long as its a friendly critter, it is welcome in my tank :)

Probably a Cirratulid family worm, the common name of which is hair worm. These are sometimes also called spaghetti worms, but it would be clearer if we reserved that common name for the Terebellid worms, a different family.

Scroll down to the Cirratulid section of this page and compare with your worm:

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

Seems like a very nice hitch hiker!

--Diane

PS: Very cute pic!

Probably a Cirratulid family worm, the common name of which is hair worm. These are sometimes also called spaghetti worms, but it would be clearer if we reserved that common name for the Terebellid worms, a different family.

Scroll down to the Cirratulid section of this page and compare with your worm:

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/hitchworms.html

Seems like a very nice hitch hiker!

--Diane

PS: Very cute pic!

YES! Looks a lot like the Cirratulid worm with the mixture of green dotted tentacles, and red tentacles.

Thanks for helping me spot this one out.

My Hermit is blushing, thanks for the compliments on the pic :)

These are good?

How good? I mean, what do they do that makes them welcome hitchhikers?

I have a ridiculous amount of these stuff! White, green, yellow..

I am concerned that it may irritate corals.. wouldn't it?

Their appendages can be seen crawling through my zoanthid colonies, making them retract.

Archived