Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cal's Nanocustomed AP 24

calvin

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice clam. How's he doing?

He was doing really well the first few days. opened up nicely (as you can see in the pics above). but he doesn't open up fully anymore. i feel like such a n00b! :angry: maybe i should try to sell him to someone in the reef club, but getting him unattached from that rock will not be fun.

I may be having buyer's remorse for the lighting upgrade. I very intentionally did not get a sunpod because I don't like the look of them and wanted the nice enclosed design, but now I'm wondering if I should have just gone MH anyway. I'll have to stew on that for a spell...

That sucks, Calvin. Maybe you might want to sell it back until you get MH on it. You should get some frogspawn to replace it. B) I love frogspawn.

That sucks, Calvin. Maybe you might want to sell it back until you get MH on it. You should get some frogspawn to replace it. B) I love frogspawn.

well, he's actually been a lot more open today, so i may hold on to him a little longer. i'm wondering if he's experiencing any allelopathy from the sinularia right next door. i think i'll run some carbon and perhaps change the placement of the Koralia and see what happens. Thanks for hangin' in there with me HP. looks like you and Flo are the only ones following this thread.

Went to the LFS today. Update coming soon!

Make sure he isn't opening too much to strain for light; the key will be very open apertures. Looks like it a bit from that pic, but maybe not.

Any updated pictures of the tank? It's always cool to watch coral growth/progress.

How's the Clam now? (He needs a name, BTW)

sorry, no update pics. i put in a pair of shrimp gobies about 10 days ago, but haven't spotted either of them since day 1. :( so nothing to update. clam's not looking so great. +1 for Flo. :(

Calvin the 6th picture on your first post seemed to have the same green algae i had in my first tank. Im not sure if you've gotten rid of the algae on it yet. If you havent, you should clean off the algae on that frag asap. I had that in my 12 gallon tank. Once it started spreading, i was never able to remove it from my tank =\

Calvin the 6th picture on your first post seemed to have the same green algae i had in my first tank. Im not sure if you've gotten rid of the algae on it yet. If you havent, you should clean off the algae on that frag asap. I had that in my 12 gallon tank. Once it started spreading, i was never able to remove it from my tank =\

I can't get the algae off. but i've had that frag for about 9 months and it hasn't spread anywhere else, so I'm not too worried.

HP: I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. nothing new to see though

There was a frag at work with that exact same algae. Same strain of polyps, too, with slightly different coloration. Like in Cal's tank, it never spread, just hung around on that frag despite being cleaned many times. Instead it just kept covering the frag, moving up the polyps but not actually covering them; however, they were stretching their stalks longer in an attempt to escape it via outgrowing it, and at one point one of the polyps had a nearly three-inch-long stalk! It was hilarious.

There was a frag at work with that exact same algae. Same strain of polyps, too, with slightly different coloration. Like in Cal's tank, it never spread, just hung around on that frag despite being cleaned many times. Instead it just kept covering the frag, moving up the polyps but not actually covering them; however, they were stretching their stalks longer in an attempt to escape it via outgrowing it, and at one point one of the polyps had a nearly three-inch-long stalk! It was hilarious.

yeah, mine kinda does that, too. i'm not too happy with the guy who sold it to me.

thanks. sorry that i haven't gotten more pics up, folks, but it'll have to be after Xmas before I can do it.

I don't believe that you're going to ever post new pictures. I knew it was too good to be true when I saw a lounger with a thread outside the lounge. I just knew it. Shoulda' listened to my instincts and stayed in the louge where it's warm and cozy. :P:D

I don't believe that you're going to ever post new pictures. I knew it was too good to be true when I saw a lounger with a thread outside the lounge. I just knew it. Shoulda' listened to my instincts and stayed in the louge where it's warm and cozy. :P:D

still not back in Charlotte yet. was planning to go back today but my little boy is throwing up, so I don't want to transport him in the car.

lol, ok I'm doing a WC today and I can take a pic after that

well, i take it back. just got finished with the WC but it's just too cloudy in there ATM and it's almost lights out, so no pics today. sorry HP!

on a side note, I learned two interesting things:

1 - My stock pump runs at 18w, not the 40w # that so many people are throwing around. this would explain why my tank temp actually went up when i switched to the mj a few weeks ago (and subsequently switched back. the mj has been demoted to salt mix pump)

2 - My silenx fans do not work most of the time. they've begun rubbing against the hood housing and stopping altogether, making a horrible noise in the process. so i guess im gonna have to remove the hood and take a look. will probably try to call nanocustoms tomorrow about the problem.

Archived