Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cal's Nanocustomed AP 24

calvin

*emerges from the murky depths of the lounge*

So this is what the rest of the site looks like? huh. I remember this place!

Anyway, I finally have a nano again, so I thought I'd start a thread in an actual reefing forum to test the waters.

Aquapod 24g with 3.36w (108w) Nanocustoms upgrade, with Silenx fans and a Koralia nano ph. I still have to buy tubing so I can swap out the stock pump with an MJ 1200.

I recently moved to a new house and decided to downsize my 65g. I settled on the AP 24, mainly because it's the largest tank I could fit on the furniture I'm using as a stand. It fits like a glove! Bowed front and everything.

I finally finished the lighting upgrade today, (I will NOT tell you how long it took me, so don't ask!) so I snapped a few pics. Forgive my camera skills. Enjoy!

dscf2004-20071112-185458.jpg

dscf1990-20071112-184620.jpg

dscf1993-20071112-184713.jpg

dscf1994-20071112-184806.jpg

dscf1995-20071112-184902.jpg

dscf1996-20071112-184950.jpg

dscf1997-20071112-185042.jpg

dscf1998-20071112-185132.jpg

dscf1999-20071112-185220.jpg

dscf2000-20071112-185306.jpg

dscf2003-20071112-185402.jpg

dscf2006-20071112-185621.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GASP! Who let you out?!

Eh, looks great- I see you don't need to be out here to have a great looking tank.

I know, right? I feel naked! :ninja:

I need to do a little rearranging of stuff, and I want to move the koralia pump somewhere else, but overall I'm pretty happy so far.

nice Calvin... that xenia looks great! are you running a skimmer?

nope, no skimmer - though i still have my fingers crossed to be an ER beta tester. fingerscrossed

nope, no skimmer - though i still have my fingers crossed to be an ER beta tester. fingerscrossed
Skimmerless, FTW!!! I've been running skimmerless for years - actually forever - without any problems. My 12g NC never crashed, and all my soft corals love the dirty water. I have yet to delve into the hard corals, mostly because I never bought a Kh Cal test kit. Your Kenya looks like it doesn't like that bright light at the top too much. Notice how much healthier the color is on the little frag in the back compared to the big guy on top? I have an arse-load of it in my 26g Bow with 150W HQI and it loves it on the bottom of the tank. The frags near the top, next to my leather are all bleached and don't open up as much as the ones on the sand. Just a little info. The rest of the tank looks awesome though.

One more thing - your maroon clown isn't killing your perc yet? My maroon clown is mean as snot. I can barely keep a blood shrimp in my 12g NC with him in it. He's got a lot of personality though, which makes him fun to watch.

Oh yeah, back to the skimmerless stuff. (sorry, ADHD kicking in again) I have run my 12g NC with no skimmer for 4 years now and haven't had a crash. I've had my 26g Bow running for about 2 years now and it's not had a skimmer on it. I just built an AC110 fuge that's stuffed with Chaeto. As the chaeto overgrows in the 26g's fuge, I drop it into the sump of my Nano Cube. Both tanks are always clear, no No2, No3, or Ammonia....ever. Get yerself some of that chaeto. It's magical. :)

EDIT: I don't like it out here, in the area where you discuss "reef related stuff." I'm going back to the Lounge. :unsure:

HP: I don't have any Kenya tree in this tank. Are you referring to my green sinularia? The green doesn't come through well in my pics, but it's actually doing quite well. I had it near the top under T5s in my 65g, so it does just fine with the light. Oh, and the coral in the bottom back (left side) is anthelia. I think that's the one you were referring to.

Also, the clowns are both ocellaris. No maroon. They've been paired for about 2 yrs.

No.. I was looking for THE ORIGINAL "No reef for you" av (Gil's Santa 2.0 version) and found this, figured I'd actually wait until December before having an XMas av.

And it's Tool, silly.

:haha: You pulled the rest of the lounge with you! They are your mindless slaves!!! Who woulda thought they would remember how to reef? I guess it's like riding a bike- in the immortal words of tiny, "Reefing's easy".

Yea, you have the same problem as me, powerhead in front of intake- no worries though, mine turned out ok ;)

Yeah, Tool....Just like you, Andy! :haha:

All we need is lgreen and we'll have half the lounge's top posters, which also just happen to not have tanks. FTW!!

:haha: You pulled the rest of the lounge with you! They are your mindless slaves!!! Who woulda thought they would remember how to reef? I guess it's like riding a bike- in the immortal words of tiny, "Reefing's easy".

No kidding. Now we just need Strangelove to come post something inflammatory and MrA to lay the smack down and we've got ourselves a partay!

Nice tank i have an ap24 that is 3months old and hope that in a year it'll look half as goood as yours!

thanks, Nick! :blush: I transferred all this stuff over from my 65g, that's how it looks so established so fast, plus I've had that rock for 2.5 yrs.

You could've set that tank up a whole lot easier if you had used a mac. Just sayin'...

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!!???

wow, it's like I've brought the lounge with me. If this continues, I think CM is gonna get mad at me... :ninja:

HP: I don't have any Kenya tree in this tank. Are you referring to my green sinularia? The green doesn't come through well in my pics, but it's actually doing quite well. I had it near the top under T5s in my 65g, so it does just fine with the light. Oh, and the coral in the bottom back (left side) is anthelia. I think that's the one you were referring to.

Also, the clowns are both ocellaris. No maroon. They've been paired for about 2 yrs.

Oh yeah?!! Well......at least I don't......I mean...dangit! I guess I'm back to n00b-dom. :P

The sinularia looks really nice. If it were kenya however, it would have looked un-healthy. :P As for the clown, I guess I just can't be right. :angry::P I need to read more in these sections.

Don't quit your day job halfy :P
HEY! What's that supposed to mean? I don't have a job. I'm a full-time student! :P

Reeftard. :P
I take it you're referring to me. It's alright. I deserve that one. It had a reeftard moment. :lol:

Calvin, you DO have Kenya tree: a tiny, tiny piece on the sand on the left side of the rocks. :P

I'm not going to circle it in a pic for joo; it's to the right of the clove polyps. (Awesome, btw--one of my all-time original favorites.)

Calvin, you DO have Kenya tree: a tiny, tiny piece on the sand on the left side of the rocks. :P

I'm not going to circle it in a pic for joo; it's to the right of the clove polyps. (Awesome, btw--one of my all-time original favorites.)

meh, you're right. i tried to get rid of it all in the transfer but IT KEEPS PULLING ME BACK IN!!!!! IT EVEN SNEAKED ITS WAY INTO MY SIG!!!!

Archived