Pod Your Reef

Do you turn your wavemaker or extra flow off at night?

SCUBABRUCE

I have a CAD 34 Signature and it has been running about 8 weeks. All is going good. Water Paramaters are excellent, and the LR and SPS and LPS Corals are flourishing.

I have added two addtional powerheads on a wavemaker timer to increase flow in my tank, one MJ900 and one MJ1200.

My first fish inhabitants will be arriving tomorrow, two Onyx Clowns from Rod's Reef.

I have my whole system on a timer, and my wavemaker with the MJ900 and MJ1200 turn off at 10:00 for the evening. It turns back on at 7:00 in the morning.

I am wonderring if I should adjust my schedule and let the wavemaker run longer or continuosly? There really is not much flow in the tank without the extra power heads on.

Do fish do well in tanks that have waves and flow all night, or is it better to "give them a rest?"

Thanks,

Scubabruce

Ok, I understand that the Ocean continues to move at night, but not at the same rate as during the day, waves die down at night. Do fish need this calmer period to sleep?

The clownfish babies arrived this morning and are doing great. However, they do have to swim pretty hard as the current alternates. Will they get used to this enough to sleep?

your fish will seek shelter in the rock. i've got 600 gph moving through my 20 gallon tank (and thats nothin compared to what a lot of people have, or to what i'm upgrading to soon) 24/7. my fish do fine, tucking in behind the rocks at night if they sleep. just like in nature, where fish hide to evade night-time predation.

• 12 years later...

No. The ocean doesn't turn off. 

You should always have sheltered places your livestock can hide from the motion, though, and fish that live in a strong current should probably be fed a bit more to compensate for the energy expenditure. 

• Thanks 1
Efrendagod
On 11/10/2007 at 4:12 PM, travisurfer said:

your fish will be fine.

2 minutes ago, Tired said:

No. The ocean doesn't turn off. 

You should always have sheltered places your livestock can hide from the motion, though, and fish that live in a strong current should probably be fed a bit more to compensate for the energy expenditure. 

Thanks a lot !