Coral Vue Hydros

Common Zoa Pests, Diseases, and Treatments

Weetabix7

Lugol's is extremely concentrated and I wouldn't personally apply it directly to polyps without first diluting. If you wanna do a stronger dip, try doing 5 drops lugol's in one cup tankwater for 5 mins or so.

24178143191_8fc5c3887e_k.jpg

After looking around, I may have my first case of zoa pox :/

In need of veteran advice. My daughter and I are very new to this hobby, and we noticed something going on over the last week.

_MG_2447_zpsgijqk8tx.jpg

These zoas :wub:​ , which we really like, decided to stretch out their necks and clam up a bit :blink: , but not completely. You can sort of see what I talking about in this pic below. This is when I first noticed it.

4babd75d-f900-4155-9c3a-50f7c8a4d9f5_zps

They were still popping out new babies, but clearly not happy. I've read that it could be lighting or flow, and really don't think it is that. I have a IM 10g with RW4 (12v) and a nanobox. Everything else is looking solid. When I went to the LFS, they said it was probably iodine depletion. I make instant ocean reef crystals salt+rodi.

So I pulled the zoas and did a FW iodine dip. I did one drop of Lugol's to four cups. I've never done this before, and I hope that this helps. Any and all advice is welcome.

This is what they looked like immediately after dip. Strange looking transparent bubble around the top????? Normal?? :scarry:

IMG_4285_zpsfe9pjblf.jpg

• 1 year later...

Help Id black thing

Pic?

Closest black thing I see is the printer to my right. ;)

How are things looking now?

Transparent white bubble is normal after a FW dip and nothing to worry about.

When I dipped with lugols to treat or prevent disease, I used more lugols, in the neighborhood of 2 drops lugols to one cup water.

In need of veteran advice. My daughter and I are very new to this hobby, and we noticed something going on over the last week.

_MG_2447_zpsgijqk8tx.jpg

These zoas :wub:​ , which we really like, decided to stretch out their necks and clam up a bit :blink: , but not completely. You can sort of see what I talking about in this pic below. This is when I first noticed it.

4babd75d-f900-4155-9c3a-50f7c8a4d9f5_zps

They were still popping out new babies, but clearly not happy. I've read that it could be lighting or flow, and really don't think it is that. I have a IM 10g with RW4 (12v) and a nanobox. Everything else is looking solid. When I went to the LFS, they said it was probably iodine depletion. I make instant ocean reef crystals salt+rodi.

So I pulled the zoas and did a FW iodine dip. I did one drop of Lugol's to four cups. I've never done this before, and I hope that this helps. Any and all advice is welcome.

This is what they looked like immediately after dip. Strange looking transparent bubble around the top????? Normal?? :scarry:

IMG_4285_zpsfe9pjblf.jpg

do not smoke the reef(er)

I have a similar problem to the one above. Had these on my Palys for a couple weeks. I have tried dips in coral RX, using a turkey baster etc. but it never goes away and comes back. Any idea on what i should do with this coral? Do not want it to effect some of my higher end zoas.

There is a white / cloudy mucus in between the polyps and it has pretty much over taken this colony. 

IMG_7101.JPG

19 hours ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

I have a similar problem to the one above. Had these on my Palys for a couple weeks. I have tried dips in coral RX, using a turkey baster etc. but it never goes away and comes back. Any idea on what i should do with this coral? Do not want it to effect some of my higher end zoas.

There is a white / cloudy mucus in between the polyps and it has pretty much over taken this colony. 

IMG_7101.JPG

What I can see in the pics actually almost looks like some kind of clear, kinda bubble shaped colonial organism and not something bacterial or fungal. It doesn't look cloudy or white to me, it looks like clear bubbles. Does it look different in real life?

Correct, it is bubble shaped but only half of the bubble if that makes sense. Almost looks like it could be a type of sponge but not sure.  they are a milky white and brown as well. Wondering if i should dip them? I tried the turkey baster in a separate containers and manually tried to take some off but it continued to come back. 

I'm wondering if it's some kind of tunicate colony. 

I tried to link a pic of one here but failed, sorry. 

Just google tunicate image and tell me if it looks similar to you. 

If it is, it isn't really a pest but rather, a hitchhiker, and only a problem if it annoys the Coral. Do the Zoas mind it, or do they open fine?

Dont think it is a tunicate colony i did some more research. But it might be a sponge of sorts or an algea i have some on my live rock. i really need a beter camera.

Yes everything opens fine and they are actually growing new heads.  I just dont like the look, creates too much space between the heads and doesnt look rightl.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread. It still seems like a good place to post rather than start a new one. I got four zoanthid frags on 6/24. They were put in a 3 gallon QT tank. After reading about another member finding zoa pox on her zoa's I dug out my magnifying glass it is not a very powerful one maybe 5X. I see some white spots and swishing the frags around did not remove the spots so I do not think it is sand. I went to the store where I got the frags and got some Furan-2. The employee I spoke with said he has used it and he mixed 1 pack in 2 gallons of SW dipped the zoa's for 15 minutes, rinsed in SW and returned to his tank. Repeated for 7 days with pretty good results. On line I found the following suggestions. 1 pack mixed with 2 cups of tank SW, soak for 20 min.'s rinse in tank water and put back in the tank. Repeat for 3 days. Let alone for a week then decide if you need to repeat or not. I also found 1 pack, 1 cup of new SW, soak 15 minutes, rinse return to tank. do this for 3 days. And setting up a 10 gallon QT tank, add 1 pack for 3 days in a row with 25% water change after a few hours each time. So I am going to use 1 cup tank water one cup new water and mix in 1 pack, soak for 20 minutes, rinse in 1 cup tank and 1 cup new water and put back in the QT tank. Repeat for 3 days. All of the dip/soak instructions included not to exceed 30 minutes. I will take some before and after pictures but they will be with my pretty old phone and I have no expectations of being able to see spots. Just the zoas.