Pod Your Reef

Common Zoa Pests, Diseases, and Treatments

Weetabix7

i have zoa eating nudis'.. working on the dipping method to get rid of them.. but im not seeing any text on what to do to 'treat' the rest of the tank.. ?

i have zoa eating nudis'.. working on the dipping method to get rid of them.. but im not seeing any text on what to do to 'treat' the rest of the tank.. ?

While I can't answer your question, I'm gonna give ya HUGE PROPS for finding this thread.

Way to find your answers ....YOU ROCK!!!

While I can't answer your question, I'm gonna give ya HUGE PROPS for finding this thread.

hahahaha thanks bro

Agreed!!!

To answer your question, you will need to monitor the Zoas and the rocks they live for a week after Nudi removal to make sure you got everything.

Nudis and their eggs will pretty much always be either on Zoas, beneath Zoas, or very close by.

Agreed!!!

To answer your question, you will need to monitor the Zoas and the rocks they live for a week after Nudi removal to make sure you got everything.

Nudis and their eggs will pretty much always be either on Zoas, beneath Zoas, or very close by.

ok will do..thanks

• 4 months later...

I am using the famous Furan 2 method to cure my Zoa of the crud (those white spots...newbie here).

I did the third treatment/25% water change last night.

QUESTION: Should I be doing the dipping of the sick colony at the same time? :huh:

Thanks!

Wait, you're not dipping the sick colony?

I'm confused, what are you doing?

Cause when I do the Furan2 treatment, it involves dipping.

• 1 month later...

hey all, I just noticed some funky spots on my Zoas that are not opening up. I have had them for a couple months but just now started this pox? Please id for me to make sure so I can then dip with the Furan right? There are also some half spiral looking things on one or two of the zoas, not sure if you can see in the pics, could these be eggs of some kind?post-66453-1306893134_thumb.jpg

I just noticed them two days ago when they stopped opening. If you enlarge the pics you cam see the spiral thing on two of them, any ideas? Where do I buy the Furan, LFS?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but you def have Zoa Pox, and the spirals are Zoa Nudi egss. :(

See the first page/post for info on how to get the eggs off.

Check your LFS for Furan 2, if they don't have it you'll have to order it from Marine Depot or Fosters & Smith and hope they get it to you quick.

Good luck.

Man! I can't believe how stealth those nudis are!! I never saw them when looking at my zoas, and i'm totally obsessed with looking at my tank about every 5 minutes! Last night when trying to remove the eggs, i picked off 3 that were the EXACT same color as the dark purple zoas! Amazing how nature works!

I'm not sure if that was everything, will the Furan dip kill nudis, I know it won't kill the eggs. Also will the pox spread to other zoas throughout the tank or should the others be fine for now?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I treated my purple zoos for the pox, now I've noticed tiny nudis on my orange zoos, or spiders not sure? Do the spiders have colors on them like the nudis? The only time I see them is at night because of the moon lights? Any ideas if they are spiders or tiny nudis? I don't see any eggs.

Also will a wrasse eat nudis and spiders?

Ok so has anybody heard of an arrow crab eating nudis, sixline was not a good fit for my tank. I have a very territorial pseudo that would most likely kill the wrasse. So the guy at LFS toldme to try arrow crab, any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Hello.,

I seem to have an amphipod (or many amphipods), they look like this Amphipod1.jpg

Characteristics include this tan shrimp like appearance, size is about 1/4 inch or so.

VERY FAST! Scuttles about in the blink of an eye.

They are bothering my Zoas. I can't dip or anything to the Zoa rock/branch as the amphipod is not there all the time. These things are causing my otherwise happy Zoa polps to be closed. I have not seen them eaten but they are very unhappy.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don;t have any fish yet but I do have a CUC. These pods are too fast for anything other than a fish to catch IMO. (BC14)

Thanks

Hello.,

I seem to have an amphipod (or many amphipods), they look like this Amphipod1.jpg

Characteristics include this tan shrimp like appearance, size is about 1/4 inch or so.

VERY FAST! Scuttles about in the blink of an eye.

They are bothering my Zoas. I can't dip or anything to the Zoa rock/branch as the amphipod is not there all the time. These things are causing my otherwise happy Zoa polps to be closed. I have not seen them eaten but they are very unhappy.

Any suggestions on what to do? I don;t have any fish yet but I do have a CUC. These pods are too fast for anything other than a fish to catch IMO. (BC14)

Thanks

You could add a Sixline Wrasse, they will eat them.

• 1 year later...

Man I wish I had read this when I found my first nudi! I'm a beginner and as a word of advice to other newbies- assume that your zoas ARE infected/infested with something. Dip dip dip before putting in your tank. I lost almost a whole colony of zoas, not knowing what was going on, before I saw the first nudi. I had no idea what is was, and thought it was kind of cute- until I looked it up on this website and found my coral eating culprit! Ended up doing a FW dip and using flatworm exit just to be sure. Man those eggs are a pain to get off- if this ever happens again- and I pray it doesn't- I'll use the paper towel trick as the tweezers mangled the heck out of everything.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
tanweisong

Under what situation should i be applying lugol directly on the zoas. Anyone able to tell how to know if the zoas may still survive? My zoas looks intact but some looks pale and some just looks like i cant find the opening

• 5 months later...

Under what situation should i be applying lugol directly on the zoas. Anyone able to tell how to know if the zoas may still survive? My zoas looks intact but some looks pale and some just looks like i cant find the opening

Lugol's is extremely concentrated and I wouldn't personally apply it directly to polyps without first diluting. If you wanna do a stronger dip, try doing 5 drops lugol's in one cup tankwater for 5 mins or so.