SaltCritters.com

Common Zoa Pests, Diseases, and Treatments

Weetabix7

Are nudis fast? I have what seem to be very fast invertebrates that crawl across my rocks. They remind my of small, clearish invertebrate rats. I recently got a zoa colony, and they may have come in on that rock. I didn't dip it, just acclimated it (my mistake). I never see them on the zoas, mainly on the rocks. Thanks!

Well, I guess if they're motivated, they're like a fast snail, but no faster than that.

You should check out the links for pics of pests in the first post on this thread, it might help you ID what you're looking at.

Also, are you really a Giant? :huh:

Okay, this thing is way faster than a snail. I checked out the links, but my eyes don't have macro mode, so I can't always tell if it is the same thing :-)

I did see a big, slower moving thing that looked like a rollie-pollie, but I don't think it was a nudi.

As far as GiantBen, I'm 6' 215, so maybe bigger than I should be, but not a giant :-P

It's the handle I use for fantasy football and fantasy baseball, so I just carried it over to here. SF Giants fan. And yes, I know they have no lineup.

Thanks for the info.

Rolly Polly dude is most like an amphipod.

Nudi's look like slugs with spikes or ruffles on their backs.

Your eyes prolly don't work in macro mode cause they're Giant eyes.

(sry, sense of humor is a lil quirky tonight, I'm too tired. )

Sooooo.....

I come home from work today and one of my corals is shriveled and looking much like death. I see a brown thing crawling all over the zoa heads. This coral was a freebie that I got, which I like okay, but certainly care about my other zoas more. In my thread I forgot to take a picture of the one this one, which might be saying something, but you can at least see the ones I like. I am pretty concerned about the things (nudis I think) getting on my other zoas, so I freshwater dip this thing. Hastily. Hastily as in the water was pretty cold. 3-4 of the nudis died off the in the bowl, but the coral looks pretty bad too. It is spewing junk out of its heads, but these are actually starting to open a little and some of them have some color. I'll take a pic later if I can.

Question:

Can the zoa bother other zoas if it is not doing well? It is somewhat by itself in a sea of dynoflagellates (UGH that's another story), so will it be okay to leave it in there and see how it does?

Can the dynoflagellates be a problem for zoas o the sand? I have 4 down there and none of them but this one are having any problems.

Thanks.

Is it worth trying to get rid of Amphipods? I see quite a few of these running around at night. The zoas close up when run on,but are otherwise okay. I'm not sure how I would get rid of the, as they are in multiple places. Anything that will eat them?

Is it worth trying to get rid of Amphipods? I see quite a few of these running around at night. The zoas close up when run on,but are otherwise okay. I'm not sure how I would get rid of the, as they are in multiple places. Anything that will eat them?

Don't worry bout the pods unless you're sure they're eating your zoas.

Sixline Wrasse and Yellow Coris Wrasse will eat pods. Sixline is more aggressive.

Sorry I didn't see your previous post til just now for some reason. Is that frag okay now?

You can do an iodine dip to help the frag recover in that situation:

1 cup tankwater

1-2 drops lugol's iodine

3 mins

Don't worry bout the pods unless you're sure they're eating your zoas.

Sixline Wrasse and Yellow Coris Wrasse will eat pods. Sixline is more aggressive.

Sorry I didn't see your previous post til just now for some reason. Is that frag okay now?

You can do an iodine dip to help the frag recover in that situation:

1 cup tankwater

1-2 drops lugol's iodine

3 mins

I dipped the frag in fresh water, but the water was kinda cold. I think that shocked the frag to death. It was barfing all over itself, and I was worried about it bothering my other frags, so I tossed it. It was a freebie, but I was dissapointed to lose it. In retrospect I should have been more patient on a number of levels:

(1) Let the water warm up more

(2) Let the frag try and recover longer

I have a different frag that came with a few dead heads. My turbo went over it, cleaned of the dead heads into clean stumps and now one of them is openeing again. Had I know they could be so resilient, I mught have left the other frag in a bit longer to see if it would make it. I really doubt it would have, it looked REALLY bad. Seemed like some of the under structire was showing through.

I'll get some iodine dip to have around in case something else comes up. Thanks again for the help weet!

I dipped the frag in fresh water, but the water was kinda cold. I think that shocked the frag to death. It was barfing all over itself, and I was worried about it bothering my other frags, so I tossed it. It was a freebie, but I was dissapointed to lose it. In retrospect I should have been more patient on a number of levels:

(1) Let the water warm up more

(2) Let the frag try and recover longer

I have a different frag that came with a few dead heads. My turbo went over it, cleaned of the dead heads into clean stumps and now one of them is openeing again. Had I know they could be so resilient, I mught have left the other frag in a bit longer to see if it would make it. I really doubt it would have, it looked REALLY bad. Seemed like some of the under structire was showing through.

I'll get some iodine dip to have around in case something else comes up. Thanks again for the help weet!

The next time you have to do a FW dip, take around a cup of distilled or RO water and put it in a bag (I use ziploc) and float it in the tank for 15 mins. This will get the water to the same temp as your tank and will prevent the temp shock you described.

If polyps are so bad off that they have partially dissolved, I doubt you could save them.

However, if they are intact but just unhappy, it's worth your time to try to save them.

I usually start with an iodine dip.

If the situation is really severe or lugol's iodine has been ineffective, use Furan-2.

I try to always keep both on hand.

• 2 weeks later...
danimal1211

As far as how long zoa's/paly's can be out of water there was a discussion over at reefcentral about it a few days ago

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...hreadid=1618267

With my first four frags I did both a FW dip with TMPCC, and a saltwater dip with 1:10 peroxide, I think it was a bit too stressful as one frag is still recovering after 3 weeks, I also lost one frag to fungus. I didn't notice the fungus till after putting it in my tank. I tried a second dip last week but at that point it was too far gone. In the following pic the frag looks healthy but you can see the fungus on each stalk especially the lower left polyp.

DSCF0014-1.jpg

if your getting one of two go with brightwells. He used to be one of Kents top chemist's back when Kent was good. Since he left Kents stuff is rather watered down.

• 1 month later...

So for the super noob, how do I adjust the PH of the RO water to match that of the tank? Understand how to float a baggie to get temp right but not sure on PH. Bought a frag (10-12 heads) for a new tank and they looked good for 4/5 days. They did take a tumble thanks to a snail, I saw it happen. Fall wasn't more than a few inches and they landed on their side but with heads against the glass. I put them in a different spot w/ putty this time but they haven't opened back up since. I'm trying to look at them closely for pests, etc. but haven't seen anything.

Thanks!

Just use something like Reef Buffer to raise PH, test PH before adding it.

It's a trial and error kind of thing.

I wouldn't give your frag a FW dip for what you've described though, only do it if you're sure there are pests.

I would try something like lugol's first, and maybe give the frag a couple of days to recover before worrying about it too much.

Thanks. I probably won't dip these unless I can see something on them for sure. I was just thinking about the next ones and making sure I do it right next time around. These were just floated in the bag with a little tank water added every 5 minutes and then put right in to the tank.

By the way just south of Chattanooga here, not quite neighbors but close enough :)

will any type of lugol's iodine work?

I think so.

I don't think the brand name matters as much as long as it's lugol's.

If anyone out there has different info on this, please post it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
If I use Kent Concentrated Iodine Would the zoe recipe be the same as the lugols recipe?

That's the clear liquid, right?

If so, the recipe is different, and unfortunately I don't remember what it is.

yes it is clear.

Totally off the top of my head, if I had to do a dip using this I would do 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon of water for 3 mins or so.

It's been so long since I used this that I don't remember an exact recipe, so keep an eye on coral response as well, and if they start to slime up, take them out.