ReefCleaners.org

MARINE ENVIRONMENT SEA SALT MIX

JavaJacketOC

I'm currently using Oceanic Sea Salt Mix but someone recommended Marine Environment Sea Salt Mix. It's a 2 part salt mix, 1st the salt then additives. Seems like the second part a.k.a. "the little bottle" as they call it is supposed to contain all elements but it sounds a little too good to be true. Has anyone used this mix before?

imo oceanic and marine environment salt both suck.

Do a search for marine environment salt. Anything that could be said about it has already been said many times in many threads.

dont you wonder that if the salt were good, they wouldn't need the additive?

Unless in theory, you have to split certain ions like Mg2+ and Ca2+ to get a more homologous mixture with more consistent concentrations. But I sort of doubt you can attain that by a single bottle.

Another thing to consider is a drop is in no way uniform, so if you don't mix 50gals at a time, how useful is that bottle?

And lastly, I used this company's bio-sea salt. I don't recommend that one.

Thanks for the info. I'm all for trying new things but prefer to get more than one opinion for reasons just like this. So far is 2 to 1 not in favor of. I agree on the additives being separated...no way to really dose properly unless you mix the amounts they require.

while i agree on the difficulty of properly mixing the two-part to achieve the mfg's "optimal" mix, i think i understand why. some compounds just can't exist together without reacting/combining prior to actual intended use or being able to be used optimally, e.g. two-part ca/alk solutions like b-ionic.

also, while i did use ME i prefer bio-sea and have had very good results with it. although i don't do a lot of waterchanges it does perform well when i do/did use it on my various setups in the past. i also suspect ME salt is merely bio-sea with the extra bottle/additive setting it apart as the ME grade.

Archived