Coral Vue Hydros

ACETEMINOPHORS, good guys or bad?

Weetabix7

There seem to be a lot of aceteminophors cropping up lately in new tanks, so I thought it was about time to get some info out there for those who are unfamiliar with them.

Aceteminophors are a reef hobgoblin of a very different sort. They have had all sorts of behaviours attributed to them, both good and bad, and I'm hoping that this thread will generate some good discussion that will help to separate myth from fact.

Aceteminophors differ slightly in both size and description, depending on their subtype. The smaller ones are about the size of a large pod while the larger ones can get to be as big as some of the smaller hermits. There have been reported sightings of some that were as big as a cleaner shrimp, but I myself think this is an Urban Reef Myth and possibly generated by someone who sniffed a little too much palytoxin.

All aceteminophors have six legs, and if examined closely, you can see rings that run around right about where you'd expect their ankles to be located. Most just have simple brown rings, but the rarer ones actually have ruby and/or emerald rings. I even saw a sapphire-ringed aceteminophor sell on eBay the other day for $500!!!

They're fairly shy and also nocturnal, so they're quite difficult to get a picture of.

They have had all sorts of behaviours attributed to them: mysterious snail deaths/eating snails, irritating zoas to the point of not opening and "melting away", plague cyano and GHA outbreaks, and even the dreaded "WhyCan'tIKeepAnythingAliveInMyTank"-itis.

They are also quite intelligent and there are reports that they can be trained to eradicate common reef pests such as flatworms, zoa eating nudis, and even sea spiders. This will only work, however, if they are fed a steady diet of turducken. That's right, turducken. And not just any turducken either, it has to be the turducken with bacon in it. If offered less than prime turducken, they become quite offended and go on a rampage, mowing down anything in their path until offered the "Good Stuff".

Mvite and Clifford513 are actually much more familiar with these unique creatures than I am, and I am hoping that they chime in here to share their wisdom and experiences. If not, please feel free to bombard their PM boxes with aceteminophor inquiries until they do.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to get ready for work so I will keep this short (man, what a detailed post Weetie). Aceteminophors have been addressed to a small degree but because of the rarity of actually acquiring one, not many are aware they even exist. For instance, this poor guy may have tossed one out. What a shame. The vivid description he gave really has me thinking he had an Aceteminophor! Which brings me to my next point. While you are correct in your description above, the only way to positively id is to examine skeletal formation. Unfortunately, this means the Aceteminophor must die. I prefer the toe and ring count method as it is fairly reliable. I love these boxes (and bowls) of water! :)

See my info was slightly off, I was under the assumption that the turdunken was derived from the bacon! And one old timer told me the best was derived from the leanest of lean backfat from canadian bacon! I must admit I never tried the Canadian bacon, I'm not a big fan. Hth.

It was my understanding that it had to be a turducken hen?!?

But this info was gained from an acclaimed NR member who turned out to be a 12 year old kid hidding his reef obcession in his parents basement.

In my experience, behaviorally aceteminophors seem partial to "dropping in" on powerhead currents and shooting themselves as far as possible across the tank.

Possibly a dominance display?

A nice Halloween turducken meal would probably help clear things up.

Weetie,

When you feed turducken, do you shut off all flow like when feeding cyclopeez?

Or leave pumps running, like with reef snow and such??

Weetie,

When you feed turducken, do you shut off all flow like when feeding cyclopeez?

Or leave pumps running, like with reef snow and such??

I find that it's better to shut off the flow for about 30 mins.

Aceteminophors are pretty serious about their turducken, and once they clamp onto it, they don't let go or stop eating til it's gone.

I remember one time when I was feeding my ruby-ringed aceteminophor and he was so intent on eating that he didn't even notice when the current picked him up. He was sucked right into a powerhead and shredded all over the tank. This of course led to a nasty outbreak of the runs for all of the corals in the tank, not a pretty sight.

I remember one time when I was feeding my ruby-ringed aceteminophor and he was so intent on eating that he didn't even notice when the current picked him up. He was sucked right into a powerhead and shredded all over the tank. This of course led to a nasty outbreak of the runs for all of the corals in the tank, not a pretty sight.

That's what caused the crash of my first tank (55g). I lost over $4300 because of that Aceteminophor. For a long time, I considered them pests. But, just like with this maxi mini mini maxi mini mo craze, I find myself longing for another. I want sp. Cobaltis Blue this time. So elusive. :mellow:

That's what caused the crash of my first tank (55g). I lost over $4300 because of that Aceteminophor. For a long time, I considered them pests. But, just like with this maxi mini mini maxi mini mo craze, I find myself longing for another. I want sp. Cobaltis Blue this time. So elusive. :mellow:

I have one for sale in my prop tank! I was saving him for a special customer. PM me for a price quote. You live close enough that you can just come pick him out!

Got it! Just let me know when you want to come over. I'm going to weetie's tomorrow but any other day should be OK. I am going to a LFS in Knoxville to see if I can find something to use as a breeder box for them.

I have one for sale in my prop tank! I was saving him for a special customer. PM me for a price quote. You live close enough that you can just come pick him out!

Oh NO you DON'T!!!!

You had better not be talking about that Diamond Eclair Ruby Encrusted Double Helix Ringed Aceteminophor that you were gonna trade me for my Eeny Meeny Miney Maxi Mini Mini Maxi with a Muu-Muu anemone!!!

Don't MAKE me put the Smackdown on you, Sistah!!! :rant:

Oh NO you DON'T!!!!

You had better not be talking about that Diamond Eclair Ruby Encrusted Double Helix Ringed Aceteminophor that you were gonna trade me for my Eeny Meeny Miney Maxi Mini Mini Maxi with a Muu-Muu anemone!!!

Don't MAKE me put the Smackdown on you, Sistah!!! :rant:

Would I do that to you?

With a name like Bible Sue?

You know my word it true.

Don't get all in a stew!!!

I haven't heard of breeding pairs in home aquaria. That would be awesome. I wouldn't know where to start though. They do tend to be hardy. Definitely worth a shot :)

I want the Cobaltis Blue. Not interested in yours Weetie B)

I haven't heard of breeding pairs in home aquaria. That would be awesome. I wouldn't know where to start though. They do tend to be hardy. Definitely worth a shot :)

I want the Cobaltis Blue. Not interested in yours Weetie B)

You BETTER not, or I'll have to come over there and smack you with my flip-flops!!! :angry:

The Propagator

I can find absolutely nothing on "aceteminophors" on all of the intrawebz. Is the spelling correct are you sure thats the name?I have honestly never even heard the name before. Weird LOL!The only Google hits that come up using "aceteminophors" leads directly to this website in both your post ( here and in one other on eon here as well) :lol:

is this a joke? do these things really exist? i can't find one online for the life of me

it's one of those inside joke things. really should be pointed out for those outside the loop. it's like people who read The Onion and think it's real news :lol:

I can find absolutely nothing on "aceteminophors" on all of the intrawebz. Is the spelling correct are you sure thats the name?I have honestly never even heard the name before. Weird LOL!The only Google hits that come up using "aceteminophors" leads directly to this website in both your post ( here and in one other on eon here as well) :lol:

<everybody at once> Aaaarrrgh Prop :slap: </everybody at once>

:lol:

Archived