Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

EL CHUPACABRA SECRET SURGING FRAG TIDE POOL

EL CHUPACABRA

EL CHUPACABRA
*achoo*ghey*achoo*
Was that the worlds first homophobic sneeze? I guess God-bless you. I think Buzz Lightyear said it best, "You are one sad strange little man and you have my pity, farewell."
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EL CHUPACABRA
May have edited the first post, but it looks like it's still quoted in it's entirety :P

I liked not having the tub online. The first post with all the tank info is gone, along with the pictures. If you saw it then good for you, if not, don't worry about it, it really wasn't even cool.

How about answering questions you doof?

there were quite a few questions--did you post to share or to play some exciting game with yourself?

It is very exciting.

there were quite a few questions--did you post to share or to play some exciting game with yourself?

It is very exciting.

Yeah chup, what's up?

LOL!

This sounds like a familiar story!

It's exhilirating--and then it starts to get to be too much to keep up with.

As Chup says though---it's easy to make money to----totally invest into your system. The only way to keep it going is to take most of the cash and put it back.

It's a lot to keep up with at times but you need:

--The lifestyle to ship your a$$ off--(everyone thinks they can do it---but actually doing it well takes dedication.)

--A supplier who won't consistently screw you. (good luck!)

--Utilities will kill you---doing it at an apartment with utilities included is KEY!!

Best advice ever!!

EL CHUPACABRA

It is very exciting.

I just think that the tub being up was making it out to be really easy, and motivating others to jump onto the frag tub wagon, and really it is not always easy. I answered a ton of questions in PMs and on this thread. I do not think it is responsible for me to promote a big system packed to the brim with coral, to the masses, who skills may or may not be ready for such an endeavor. I think MVITE had some really good advice on needing the proper lifestyle to be able to ship the coral, I could ship everyday. Finding livestock suppliers is also a challenge as he mentioned; their are so many issues to address. When I started this thread I just wanted to share my frag system, but it quickly became a thread about how to profit selling coral, which was not my intention, therefore I took it down.

I think if people are ready to take the plunge and have a frag tub system, and move a bunch of coral then they should already know how to do it. It is irresponsible of me to encourage people that may be lacking in the skills to maintain such a system to have said system. Plus if I ever get back into this, I was giving all the information that made me successful up. I do not want to encourage everyone and their mom to have a frag tub, it is just going to cause problems with the sponsors, and get me in trouble.

I wasn't wanting a frag tub, my bad if it came off that way. I was wanting a surge system and thats why I was so interested. I'm glad you shared what you did, gave me tons of ideas for a new setup. You have some really great stuff and you're very innovative. Sucks that it didn't turn out like you planned.

Bill

Everybuddy should have a frag tub!!!

That's the only way we are gonna keep a supply of AFFORDABLE coral!

You didn't make it sound "too easy"----I just wanted to add my .02--like I always do.... :blush:

I set up my initial set up for a couple hundred bucks that I earned (EMBEZZELED FROM MY WIFE) on ebay selling my first couple corals.

Everybuddy should have a frag tub!!!

That's the only way we are gonna keep a supply of AFFORDABLE coral!

You didn't make it sound "too easy"----I just wanted to add my .02--like I always do.... :blush:

I set up my initial set up for a couple hundred bucks that I earned (EMBEZZELED FROM MY WIFE) on ebay selling my first couple corals.

I have to agree with you there, even though Chupa's got a point about "getting in trouble with sponsors". They are so threatened by "home brewers" and often get nasty whenever you start talking about "going into business"

My favorite ploy they use is how home growers spread all kinds of disease and pests.

Jeez, every nasty thing I've ever gotten has come from lfs's, not home growers.

HecticDialectics
I have to agree with you there, even though Chupa's got a point about "getting in trouble with sponsors". They are so threatened by "home brewers" and often get nasty whenever you start talking about "going into business"

My favorite ploy they use is how home growers spread all kinds of disease and pests.

Jeez, every nasty thing I've ever gotten has come from lfs's, not home growers.

Screw the sponsors! This isn't a communist Russia! No one can make posts about frag tanks any more cause they might threaten a sponsor? Any sponsor with that attitude can blow off, imo. This is hobby is fueled by individuals. I want to know which sponsors are getting their panties in a wad over home frag tanks, so I know who to boycott.

--The lifestyle to ship your a$$ off--(everyone thinks they can do it---but actually doing it well takes dedication.)

--A supplier who won't consistently screw you. (good luck!)

--Utilities will kill you---doing it at an apartment with utilities included is KEY!!

Soooooooo much the truth. Finding a reliable wholesaler/transshipper that has good stuff on a weekly basis is like finding a diamond in your son's sandbox. Hard to come by and when you do find one, just hope they don't get permits pulled on them.

mvite is right on his assessment. He only named three points out of the hundred you have to pay attention to. I'm working on this exact thing as I type.

AcroporaLokani
Screw the sponsors! This isn't a communist Russia! No one can make posts about frag tanks any more cause they might threaten a sponsor? Any sponsor with that attitude can blow off, imo. This is hobby is fueled by individuals. I want to know which sponsors are getting their panties in a wad over home frag tanks, so I know who to boycott.

+1, And any ways the "sponsors" may have started out the same way who are they to get mad?

Hey!!! I'm a sponsor!!!! :D

But before that---I used to be the fragginest mothafugga around.

I never got in any trouble with sponsors. Ever--- Well, not because of selling too much anyway!!! :D

You can't say screw the sponsors---cuz they are who provide the arena for all of us a-holes to communicate and benefit.

I don't know where Chupa was selling that he got in trouble with sponsors. I never saw him selling too much here. Maybe some of the gestapo reef forums---but not here. (Hence why I'm a sponsor HERE you turdheads!!!)

HecticDialectics
Hey!!! I'm a sponsor!!!! :D

But before that---I used to be the fragginest mothafugga around.

I never got in any trouble with sponsors. Ever--- Well, not because of selling too much anyway!!! :D

You can't say screw the sponsors---cuz they are who provide the arena for all of us a-holes to communicate and benefit.

I don't know where Chupa was selling that he got in trouble with sponsors. I never saw him selling too much here. Maybe some of the gestapo reef forums---but not here. (Hence why I'm a sponsor HERE you turdheads!!!)

I apologize. :D Screw SOME of the sponsors! hehe Some are cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think its irresponsible at all to share your techniques with a wider audience. If this hobby is to survive much longer, captive propagation has to usurp collection from the wild. Its irresposible NOT to share information and advice regarding propagation.

This hobby is entirely about knowledge and experience. Either share what you know or join the people who charge hundreds for "LE" corals, and then refuse to tell what kind of system they were grown in, so that the customer may best meet the needs of the animals they sell.

There is just no room in this hobby for "proprietary information". The Mark Weiss types in this industry need to find another group of people to intentionally keep in the dark and step aside for people who actually give a crap about the world's dying reefs.

Knowledge and education is the only antidote to misinformation and propaganda. Please spread the antidote as far and wide as you can. Its impossible to sell snake oil to an audience that knows the difference between sh*t and shinola.

Rant over.

- Josh

Lol. 'LE' purple and blue SPS. I thought brown and green were the only sps colours? :lol:

The reality is that fragging is REALLY quite easy. Get a good system with good flow, lighting, skimming (if you're into that), feeding, but stay economical at the same time. Find some easy to frag corals such as zoas, favias, acans, sps, etc and cut them up and glue them to the base of your choice. Now let them grow out.

And here is the kicker...take really good macro shots with heavy actinics and 20K lighting. Those lights and photos will sell more average corals than you can shake a stick at.

I don't think its irresponsible at all to share your techniques with a wider audience. If this hobby is to survive much longer, captive propagation has to usurp collection from the wild. Its irresposible NOT to share information and advice regarding propagation.

This hobby is entirely about knowledge and experience. Either share what you know or join the people who charge hundreds for "LE" corals, and then refuse to tell what kind of system they were grown in, so that the customer may best meet the needs of the animals they sell.

There is just no room in this hobby for "proprietary information". The Mark Weiss types in this industry need to find another group of people to intentionally keep in the dark and step aside for people who actually give a crap about the world's dying reefs.

Knowledge and education is the only antidote to misinformation and propaganda. Please spread the antidote as far and wide as you can. Its impossible to sell snake oil to an audience that knows the difference between sh*t and shinola.

Rant over.

- Josh

Excellent post.

The Propagator

Fragging is easy, growing them out not so much. ( well depending on what your focusing on and what you intend to do with said frags I guess)

• 2 weeks later...
AcroporaLokani
I liked not having the tub online. The first post with all the tank info is gone, along with the pictures. If you saw it then good for you, if not, don't worry about it, it really wasn't even cool.

Why even start this thread if you had no intent of keeping the pics up? Whats so bad about people starting frag tubs/tanks?

I actually have no intentions of setting up a frag tank of any kind. What I do have intentions of setting up is a surge tank. I think that's why many people were/are following this thread. Fortunately, I've got a decent enough memory to more or less know how you made it function. Brilliant plan by the way. I'm thinking of making a surge system out of a long and low tank to simulate a tidal pool.

Thanks for the info and the inspiration...pics or not.

Bill

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived