Cultivated Reef

Cali-girl's Biocube29

Cali-girl

hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!!!! :D

my torch pulled through! :happydance: it's fully extended and happy! phew! the bag of purigen also helped a lot in polishing the water. because of the decay in the water from the torch i got another diatom bloom so my sand is all brown. the clean up crew is workin on getting it all taken care of.

I still have a bubbles in the water column, i'm not quite sure how to get rid of those.

In other news, I found my Goby that disappeared over 2 weeks ago!. I was rinsing out the filter pads and looked in the pump chamber to make sure all was good, and lo and behold!!! there he was lookin up at me! Talk about a hassle to get him out tho! i disconnected the pump so i could get my hand in there and he jumped to the second chamber, so i emptied the second chamber of all the rock rubble and filter media and he jumped into the first chamber!! tried to get him out of the first and he jumped back into the second where i then caught him and dumped him in the display. geez! <_<

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear it was alive though and you were able to get it back into the display! I have a fridmani pesudochromis that's been MIA on me for almost a week, but it's definitely not in any back or filter chambers. I fear that my cinnamon clown had it for Thanksgiving dinner. :(

You should put a barrier up between the display and the sump so your fish can't jump over. When I was using the stock hood on my bc29 I bought a pc. of gutter guard from Lowes and altered it to fit.

+1 on getting a barrier up on the baffle wall. Details and pics of what spanko is talking about in my thread. Best 99 cents I ever spent

Glad you found and rescued your little friend! And the torch coming back around is a testament to your water quality and attention you pay to your tank. Kudos.......now get some glue and get some things locked down :P I bet it was your giant turbo

thanks for the kudos!

TuDizzle: the Turbo you keep referring to is actually my hermit crab. I'm sure he fought for that shell at some point!! i'm amazed that he can move that thing around.

i'll have to pick up some of that gutter guard. I was also thinking that i could use some of that plastic guard stuff that goes on glass tank covers. I came home today and all of the sand had been sifted! no more diatoms! that Goby was probly starving back there in the chamber. poor guy :(

Hi! Your tank looks great! I really like the corals you chose too, looks good with your rock. So...how's your tank doing? It looks like you set your tank up just a day before I set mine up! It's a lot of fun, huh? I am really enjoying it.

Your torch still doing good? I just got one yesterday and the heads look really delicate, is the tissue between the heads supposed to be solid? Mine looked like it was torn a little, but all of the heads are starting to open, so hopefully it's ok!

What other corals do you plan to add?

And...:welcome: We will learn together!

RSG - they are delicate, that's why i had issues with mine. it got knocked around by my hermit crab. The "trunks" of the torch are pretty solid. but they can be cracked.

i plan on adding frogspawn and a suncoral maybe. i love TuDizzle's tank! Don't want to copy his exactly, but it sure does look nice. Maybe something like it...

Sorry for not adding pics like i said i would, at the moment i am camera-less and it's hard to take a picture with the camera on my laptop. as soon as i have access, I will post, I promise!!!!

Gurnie- as far as my coral stock goes, all i have so far is a growing Torch and a rock full of green striped mushrooms. got the regular clean up crew, 1 occellaris clown, and a whole lotta small feather dusters. Oh!! and some of that red seaweed/algae that Kappa was selling. I randomly found it growing on my rocks! :D

That yellow head sleeper goby needs a much bigger tank to survive in the long run. He needs alot more sand to be happy and a 14 cannot provide it. Great looking tank by the way.

Oh and the goby will drop sand all over your corals as he gets bigger, its kinda a pain in the ass to blow sand off of all the brains and other sand corals every half an hour. We have one in our store 460G and is a constant pain.

Gv: ur talking about the fan mod right? I had it set up during the summer and it worked really well. Now that the temp has dropped with the season i took it out as i didn't need it anymore. i've been able to keep the tank constant at 79 without needing any fans.

hopefully, after christmas i'll be able to get more livestock. my tank looks so bare, its pitiful!

hopefully, after christmas i'll be able to get more livestock. my tank looks so bare, its pitiful!

No, it's lovely! Before you know it you'll run out of room, so enjoy this stage while it lasts. :) By going slowly as you are you will really find yourself studying each individual inhabitant in much more detail and thus getting a lot more satisfaction out of your critters. Plus, patience is the best way to a stable tank, hard as it is for most of us to realize that ideal...:(

Your rockwork is VERY nice!

--Diane

tank is looking great....super clean!

You might want to remove the feather algea growing on your mushroom rock. If you stay ontop of it and pluck it gentlly from the base you should be able to eradicate it without much problem.

Keep those pics coming...very nice!

Archived