SaltCritters.com

Cali-girl's Biocube29

Cali-girl

Hey Cali-Girl, are you using stock lighting?
Nope I have a 150w Sunpod on there right now. Clam is doing great! I think I've had him over a year. If anyone can ID him for me it would be awesome :) I don't remember from when I bought him and I can't for the life of me tell the difference in species and I don't think color patterns help in that area.
  • Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sooooooo I've been thinking.....

I was sitting in front of my tank this evening looking over all the corals and doing my regular inspection. I might be going back on my decision to do Seahorses in this tank. I've always loved the look of corals swaying in the current and one of the first corals I knew I had to have were the frogspawns and hammers - which is a big NO for Seahorses. I love Seahorses but I'm reluctant to let go of all the corals I've collected.

Im now leaning towards keeping on the same track with this tank, get more variations of corals I like, add some different fish, and see how far I can take it. AND there aren't many set-ups past the 2 year mark.

Maybe in a little bit, I'll set up a tank specifically for the horses. That way I won't have to get rid of the stuff I like.

Anyway, Those are my thoughts. :happy: Comment if you will

Sounds like a good plan! You've worked hard on your BC, so it's probably a good idea to not change what you've built too much.

Maybe, in the meantime, you can keep your eye out for a sweet deal on another tank for seahorses. I still want to see a seahorse tank thread from you some day soon... :)

Sounds like a good plan! You've worked hard on your BC, so it's probably a good idea to not change what you've built too much.

Maybe, in the meantime, you can keep your eye out for a sweet deal on another tank for seahorses. I still want to see a seahorse tank thread from you some day soon... :)

haha thanks mkregs :)

I'll defnitely keep my eye out! I'll still be following your thread tho, I love the "unusual" seahorse you picked up!

After looking through Heylookitscaps thread and talking to him about the 20K Radium bulb he's using now, I decided to go ahead and replace my old bulb with it.

First of all, let me tell you that Hello lights is awesome! I put in the order late thursday, it shipped friday, and it arrived at my door today (saturday)! talk about a fast turnaround! These guys mean business too when it comes to packing. That bulb wasn't moving anywhere!

So far I like the crispness of the light. I scraped down the glass and scrubbed the rock a little so I can't tell yet what the final picture will look like. I was getting tired of the blue of the Phoenix bulb, and so far this is a nice change. When the water clears, I'll post some pics.

;)

Any pics of the new bulb and how it compares to the Phoenix? I don't so much like the blueness of my 14K Phoenix... :( Also, might be too soon to tell, but do you notice more response from your corals and tank in general with the new 20K Radium??

Matt, haven't uploaded the pics yet, but I do notice that the overall colors of the tank look a little better. It's a given with the blue bulb you're going to tint everything into the blue spectrum, but because the Radium light is a brighter white you can see more range of color. That doesn't mean the colors are a ton more bright or popping out everywhere, but i think it's more true to what they are.

I haven't noticed any difference in the corals response to it yet, i haven't been home that much the last few days to tell. Heylookitscaps put a Radium on his a little bit ago and he said his corals have grown a lot under it. We'll see i guess. I'm shutting the lights off over xmas to battle some algea but after that i'll be keeping track of any new growth.

Hope that helps a little. i'd look at heylookitscaps thread, he put up before and after pictures of the Phoenix and then the Radium.

Cool, thanks for the info Annie! :) Yeah, I should go check Caps tank out, he actually lives near me and helped me move my tank into where I currently live, last year in fact. :) So hmm, now I'm wondering if the Radium is a higher PAR bulb than the Phoenix, everyone was telling me go with the Phoenix since it's high PAR, especially compared to the XM bulbs which I almost picked one up at RAP earlier this year. The advantage of the blueness of it is that I don't need actinics, lol! But I would like whiter light, I love the look of my 70w 14K Astralux on my 10g tank... :( THAT is what a 14K bulb should be and look like IMO.

• 2 months later...

The Biocube is no more *sniff

All is well, nothing crashed. Everyone got moved over to the 75g a few weekends ago. If anyone has any questions about what I did or how I worked something, please feel free to keep posting on this thread, but I'll be switching over to the 75g's thread for all updates.

This tank was a great thing to run as a beginner. The smallness of it really makes you pay attention to the maintainance and stability of things to keep it running. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to start a nano as their first saltwater aquarium. Thank you Biocube! You've been great! ;)

Archived