SaltCritters.com

What is this growing on my LR???

KamDesai

I had originally posted this on the beginners forum but someone told me to add it here too. More pictures can be found at:

my beginners forum post

Also, can you tell me if it is good or bad? If bad, how do I get rid of it? I have three blue leg hermits and 2 astrae snails who don't touch it.

Thanks for any help!

Look like it's just cyano. Looks like you got cruddy live rock like me. It realistically took 3 months for my "live rock" to look healthy.

Should I worry about it at all? Do I need to manually scrape it off or what should I buy to get rid of it?

Thanks!

I can't tell by the pics. If it truly is cyano than you should remove it. Cyno can and will smother your corals. Do a search on cyanobacteria and you will get lots of threads on how to remove it.

If you don't have any corals in your tank then just ride it out. It will get bad Bad BAd BAD. Then one day it will just disappear!

I'm going to offer this for your consideration as well. I have a piece of LR that has the same deep blood red patch of stuff on it, which as you mentioned in your other post, seems to have stalks coming out of it. It is firmly attached to the rock and not slimy like cyano is. Been there, done the cyano thing. :(

After about three weeks in the tank, mine sprouted sargassum macroalgae. Just my opinion, not worth much most of the time, but hey, I keep trying. :)

yes, that is probably the really deep red coraline that I have. It grows in really low light so that's probably why it's on the bottom. Plus, cyno likes more light than the bottom of that rock will receive.

Luke

Anyone else have any ideas? I am hoping its some form of coraline algae and not anything I need to worry about.

Thanks!

Archived