Top Shelf Aquatics

My first SW tank - BC 14

RIKennedy

yeah, it is sweet! small problems though.

I added the cheato and it gave me a small ammonia spike and a little diatom breakout again. I'll test the water in a little bit to see the severity. My CUC won't be hear till Monday or Tuesday... should I be worried? what should I do if my params don't get back down to zero before they come?

I'm definitely not freaking out or anything I was just wondering what people thought...

Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure it will be ok ... small amounts, although aren't desirable, aren't completely detrimental ... post some params and we will help put aside your fears ...

The diatoms will just be some extra food for your CUC when they arrive ... ;-)

Just tested the water...

pH: 8.4

Sg: 1.023

Temp 78

Ammonia : 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0-2

Phos : 0

dKH: 8

Calcium: 360

So it looks good!!! I worried about nothing... That Cheato sure is eating up those Nitrates... lowest reading yet!

Now I'm really excited to get my CUC!!!

I'll test my water again before I add them, but everything looks spot on. (except I want my Calcium up near 430...)

I'll update when my critters get here! yay

oh and the diatoms are going away already... now I'm getting some red stuff coming back... lookin good :P

Cool! What brand of tests are you running? I am in need of a Calcium and Alkalinity test ... I was looking for a Salifert test kit but all the LFSs in the region are out ... Boo ...

Um, again, not very experienced but apparently there is not real need to add additional supplements. With most Salt mixes you should be replacing the depleted nutrients with the new water .... What Salt are you using? I use Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals once in a while. (Also note, no idea what my cal. is cuz, duh, no test) maybe for Christmas ;-)

Did you add your CUC?

I'm just using the API (aquarium pharmaceuticals Inc.) test kits. thats what my LFS has... but I hear the Salifert test kits are really good. I'm sure you could get them on www.DrsFosterSmith.com

My CUC didn't get shipped out until today... so I should get it in the next couple days. I hope they get here ok, it's pretty cold this time of the year. but I cant wait!!!! I have a blue spotted porcelain crab coming too! the pics look sweet on reefscavengers.com

I have my cheato in chamber 2 right now with a 13w plant light Velcroed to the back. I also have my timers all set up and I'm doing 1hour of actinic, then 9 hours of 10,000k and actinic, followed by a last 1 hour of actinic. kind of a sunrise/sunset feel to it. Is this too much light or too long of a cycle? I'm not quite sure what other people have theres at. :huh: Let me know...

besides that, it is lookin really good and I'm getting a lot of red/purpleish algae back. I don't have a decent camera right now so I'll try and borrow a friends when my CUC gets here. either way, I'll have pictures then!

oh and I just checked my nitrites/nitrates... 0,0 yay!

• 1 month later...

Wow! it has been a long time since I have updated... So here it goes

I've been extremely patient... All I have is my sand rock and CUC as of now. I've been battling the green algae... I had huge blooms, but I have switched to distilled water, basted, and just manually ripped out all the algae and it doesn't look like it's coming back. I only have a small patch towards the top now and it looks like it's dieing too :) yay.

Now for the fun stuff, I 'm going to start with a few zoas and maybe a ric

I'll also be getting a skunk cleaner shrimp, a few more hermits and some turbo snails

Until then, here is an updated FTS (1/5/08) and some shots of the CUC

Oh yeah! and I got a Nikon D40 for christmas and now I can take some pretty good shots, It's tough with the BC slightly curved glass though

TankJan5th021.jpg

Can anyone Identify what is growing on the back of this hermit???

TankJan5th007.jpg

TankJan5th037.jpg

TankJan5th004.jpg

TankJan5th032.jpg

TankJan5th010.jpg

TankJan5th015.jpg

TankJan5th012.jpg

TankJan5th022.jpg

Very cool dude. No clue as to what is growing on the back of the hermit. Could be anything, lol ...

Everything is lookin good. I think your right, time to start adding some colour! Go to it!

• 2 months later...

What the heck, dude? Where are the updates? or did you kill off everything ... ? lol kidding (I hope)

Oh man! I figured this post was all but gone.... Well, I waited a long time before I started stocking. but I actually have corals and a fish now :) At this point I haven't had anything go wrong and not one thing has died along the way. I battled the GHA for a few months there and now I only use distilled water. But everything is going great! I do 2-3 gallon changes every week and clean about every-other day :) I still haven't bought a skunk cleaner shrimp but that will be next. I need to take some new pictures as I have changed things around a bit.

This is what I have: Link to My Fishtank

I'll post some new pics soon but I have to get to school and then I work tonight :/

I've been focusing a lot on my gecko breeding as of lately and thats why I haven't updated in sooooo long.

- Ryan

• 1 year later...

It's been a long while since I posted! I thought I would get back to it now that my tank is pretty cool. I have a bunch of corals now and everything is going really good. I love this tank and I'm pretty obsessed with it.

I switched back to the stock pump because my MJ was making tons of noise... I didn't like it... I also put a stevie T's media rack in the back, this thing is awesome! I love it, it keeps everything so organized and my cheato has been growing like crazy since I put it in.

I battled Bryopsis for a while and that algae almost ruined it for me but the red mithrax crab saved the day! That thing eats algae by the handful! it's the best thing I ever did for my tank.

Stocking list:

Corals: zoas and palys

Branched frogspawn

Green Star Polyps

Mushrooms

Candy cane/trumpet coral

Brain Coral

Clove polyps

Feather Duster

Acan lords

Ricordea mushrooms

Inverts: A bunch of snails