Pod Your Reef

My first SW tank - BC 14

RIKennedy

Don't change the water as it will just make the cycle take longer it you do. You just have to wait it out and let the bacteria on the rocks bring the levels down.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been over a week and I don't have any signs of life yet except these sweet reddish/pinkish things growing on my rock. They are sweet but nothing is moving... Getting my rock shipped really gave me some die off...

I haven't touched my water yet... so I think I'm going to keep it that way

I bought some more supplies and my new testing kits and refractometer will be here early next week. Then I can see really what is going on in there and get some good param. readings. Until then it is wait mode... I already sit at the tank for at least 30 minutes a day and nothing is even in there yet :D I'm going to be in trouble when I finally start stocking.

I re-aquascaped a little to give me more, and better spots to put things. Also a little more room in the front of the tank.

more pics to come soon.... I have to work tonight :o

Hey man, just catching up on your thread. It looks like you got some great rock there and I really like your initial scaping that you have. Glad to hear that you are taking things slowly and just enjoying things as they come....if you look close enough, you will start seeing all sorts of really cool things in and on the rock. I applaud people that take things slowly and do it the right way by just enjoying the journey and not just jumping the gun on getting corals and fish.

Sounds like you are really enjoying the tank as is....just wait until you get something in there....it will be all over after that :)

SO, I bought some Purigen and chemi-pure to add to my filtration.

The purigen comes in a bag that is for 100 gallons... Should I only use 1/5th of it???

What have others done?

I'm going to just use the full "1 unit" of chemi-pure though...

I hope someone can help me with the purigen...

UPDATE!!!!!

Thanks for the comments divecj5, I think I improved my aqua-scape pretty nicely though. I took some rock out and put it in chamber two. I also added some really good spots for corals with that rock on the top left. And I really like how my Cave ended up. I'm going to put GSP for the floor of the cave on the sand and have it coming out the front hopefully. I've brainstormed a lot on where I'm going to put things...

As for the pump, I finally replaced it with a Maxi-Jet 600 with the Hydor-flo reflector. I went with the 600 because I already have the Hydor KORALIA Nano in there and the 600 runs even cooler quieter and pumps more water still than the stock pump. I have incredible circulation in there!

I also added Chemi-pure and I will add Purigen when someone chimes in and tells me how much to use :) Oh and I added some filter floss to the top of chamber 2

Still no Cheato.... I need to get some still....

My testing equipment came in:

Ammonia = 0!!! yay

Nitrite = 0!!! oh my

Nitrate = 25ppm can you say water change...

Phosphate = 0 - .1

dKH = 9.5 =KH 170ppm

Calcium = 380

SG = 1.021

PH = 7.9

I'm also trying out the Live Meter (Mardel, master test kit) for ammonia and PH. I'll let you know....

Any suggestions on what I should use to bring my pH up and my calcium up (i want it at 430ppm)????

and PICS!!!! you can see how much the red and purples have gone away :( especially in that front bottom left rock which is now green...

nov10post1.jpg

nov10post2.jpg

nov10post3.jpg

I'll look into the Bionic 2 part for sure, thanks for the suggestion.

I HAVE DIATOMS!!! yay finally.... I was worried for a little bit there that I wouldn't get them. but hurrah they are here.

I'm still wondering about how much purigen I should put in there, I know I'm not the only one that has used it....

it only comes in a packet for 100 gallons, should I take a lot out or just use the whole thing???

Thanks to anyone who actually looks at my post and pictures... and who is helping me out.

Everything is looking good! I'll have my CUC in no time... I can't wait.... (I'm waiting till everything is holding at 0 though till I do anything....)

Your PH will go up when you do your WC. You might not need to use the B ionic till a little later in the future, when you get corals that suck up the calcium. The water changes should provide you with just the right amount of PH and alkalinity and magnesium etc. Just take it slow and you will be ok.:welcome: to NR

So I've waited a little longer and did another test:

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 25ppm

Phosphate = 0 - .1

dKH = 10

Calcium = 350

SG = 1.022

PH = 7.9

My ammonia and Nitrite seem to be holding at 0.

I have Diatoms right now....

Should I do this water change now or wait till the Diatoms are gone???

Welcome! I am still a newb too but here is my two cents ...

I am not sure about the water change as of yet (you should get a tickerfactory.com url so we can see how long your tank has been up!) I waited for about a month before my first water change ... nothing in there to really hurt ...

I would remove the chemi-pure and not add the purigen quite yet. Let the tank do is thing naturally. There are posts out there both for and against this, especially during the cycle.

25ppm Nitrates aren't that bad for an initial cycle. Mine were up to 40ppm for a long time before my first WC.

Seeing any pods yet? Believe me, they are really hardy and will start to reproduce like mad ...

How long has your tank been up? Good luck!

Thanks HoomHow

I took the chemi-pure out...

I'm just going to wait a little longer before I do my water change... (next week sometime...)

My Diatoms are still spreading... and yeah, thanks for the info...

Kewl ... NICE TICKER! ;-)

Yeah, next week do a water change to drop the nitrates then add your CUC ... exciting! Any ideas what you want yet?

"Kewl ... NICE TICKER! ;-)" ------- Thanks :) it took me a while to figure it out since I didn't want to know my menstrual cycle....

As for what I want to put in there.... I constantly think about.

Just the usual CUC with a good cleaner shrimp

corals:

Ricordea!!! or Yumas My favorite so far

Zoos

I want a clam...

frogspawn

GSP

and some cool LPS if I get an MH...

Fish:

1 true perc

1 gobie - prob a watchman like yours

I'm sure I'll get interested in some other stuff though...

Just taken it slow though.... no rush for anything....

Believe me .. it is hard once you start putting corals in. I moved a little fast when I went on a local saltwater forum, hooked up with some people selling cheap frags and bought a lot of coral for very cheap (i.e. see my thread -- i think I spent a total of $70 for all my zoos, palys, corals, etc) and a YWG for $4.99 I definitely should have waited longer but it is SO HARD!!!! :wacko:

What are you considering for your CUC? I have 3 nassarius snails, 1 cerith (and one baby), 1 trochus??, 2 small blue legged hermits, one small zebra legged hermit and one pep (for a few aptasia) which I started out with (now have a skunk cleaner shrimp as well) For my tank, this is not enough ... I need a few more snails and a hermit or two more .... currently contemplating a small emerald crab.

--> "Thanks it took me a while to figure it out since I didn't want to know my menstrual cycle...." LOL, are you sure? It is helpful to know! :D

Yeah, that's not a very big clean up crew...

I think I'm going to get the nano CUC from Reefscavengers...

8 Juvenile Nerite Snails

5 Nassarius Snails

5 Dwarf White Leg Hermits

4 Blue Leg Hermits

4 Juvenile Stocky Cerith Snails

and I want to get a Spotted Porcelain Crab...

and a shrimp of some sort... not sure what to get yet. What is the best cleaner?

As for the tank... 25 days old, WOO HOO! I'm really glad I made this ticker :D Diatoms are still spreading... but I'm starting to get some coraline back... I'm going to do my first water change soon, My ammonia and Nitrites have been 0 for over a week now... I'm excited to get some stuff moving in there, not rushing it though :happy: I'll add the CUC when everything is steady at 0. Here is an FTS I just took: sorry my camera is crap, but I'm getting a new one for Christmas, yippy!

TankNov17thpost.jpg

Later ya'll

Kewl, lots of great places for placing corals and things (you will know how difficult it is once you start buyin' em).

Clean up crew sounds great. I just bought 3 small nerite snails (forgot the name duh!) and a small emerald crab... they are going to TOWN!

yeah, LOVE the ticker ;-)

PS - my pep shrimp did wonders on the few small aptasia I had ... even the ones hidden within the rock. He was kinda shy till I got the skunk clean. That guy has got to be everyones favourite who comes to see the tank... he is always active and very friendly.

"He was kinda shy till I got the skunk clean. That guy has got to be everyones favourite who comes to see the tank"

So you have both in there? and you like the skunk cleaner better?

What about CB shrimp?

Coral Banded? They look cool but I have no experience with them ... I figured for my first tank I would start out with the basics lol

Yes, Have both the pep shrimp and skunk. They get along well enough .. the skunk is obviously more dominant but they play well. Yes, I do like the skunk better. He is definitely friendlier. If I didn't have any aptasia at the begining I probably wouldn't have bought the pep. But he is part of the family now ;-)

WOO!!! Day 30. I did a water change and my pH went up to 8.2-8.4 I haven't checked my calcium levels but I would assume they went up too. My Nitrates went down to about 10 - 15 ppm, will Cheato help bring nitrates down? or should I just rely on the water changes to bring it down?

Is it safe to get my clean up crew??? and I think I'm going with the skunk shrimp also.

oh yeah and my Diatoms are slowly fading away and I'm getting some green hair algae growth now. looks much nicer...

still no signs of life... not even pods...

So, I'm not sure if I have said much about my problems but they have all been solved.

When I got my tank the Actinic bulb has broken... right out of the box :o so I quickly emailed Oceanic (which is now Central aquatic) and they said no problem, a new one will be there in a week. Sure enough a week goes by and I get a package, open it up and its a ballast?!?!? So I email them again and ask them why they sent me a ballast and not a light bulb? All they said is you will have your replacement in a week (again) This time 2 weeks go by and sure thing yesterday I got a package!!! It was an actinic bulb! yay! I'm glad they sent me one free of charge but it took a month :angry: On the bright side I now have a spare ballast in case I ever have that problem :) The Actinic makes such a difference! I can't believe I went this long without it...

I ordered my clean up crew!!! and I went with the reef scavengers nano pack as it thought I would.

I'll keep you updated when they get here!!!

-Ryan

The CUC should be here early next week, I hope... and they had a blue spotted porcelain crab for me!!! I can't wait!

I recieved my cheato and just threw it in the display for now to eat up all the nitrates (about 10ppm now)

Everything is looking good and all my parameters have been stable and safe for at least 2 weeks now.

Updates to come :)

Very very cool. I am excited for you ... how about some pics? ;-) They are always ooh'd and awe'd over ;-)

Thats kewl about Oceanic Sending you that stuff ... yeah, crappy about it taking a month but you can't really complain about getting stuff for free (i.e. the ballast) ... not like you really needed the light asap anyway. ;-)

Archived