SaltCritters.com

Warning for all People Thinking of the Oceanic Biocube

Insane Reefer

Insane Reefer
I don't own one of these cubes but in doing some research on which one to buy I came accross this thread. I emailed them for their opinion about bad ballasts. I just received this email from the company.

"There was bad run of ballasts that were manufactured the first half of 2006."

-------------

Does this model have overheating problems?

Thanks for the info, OB1 :) Funny that this is the first time I am aware of them openly admitting to there being a problem, but nice of them to tell you (and us by extension) how to figure which lot your ballast is from.

As far as I know, all Biocubes have some issues with heat. The most common "fix" is to simply leave the feeding door up, which, unless it is really hot out, seems to keep at least the little 'cube cooled fairly well.

Anyone have spare ballast cord?

Sorry guys - I just looked and I did not keep the bad ballast - sometimes I do keep things like that, but I guess this didn't seem like something I needed. Good luck - I'm sure one of these nice people will send you theirs :)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I searched Y! for "Oceanic Biocube bad ballasts," and this was the 3rd thread I found. So OF COURSE you are going to have a lot of people ON THIS THREAD complaining about blown ballasts. I mean, let's be serious. If you search the 'net for "water overdose," you are going to hear about people dying from drinking water. You CAN NOT THEN CONCLUDE that a lot of people die from drinking water. Only a moron would make that leap of logic.

It's assanine to shed a bad light on this company/product because of some bad ballasts. And their WARRANTY SERVICE IS BAD? I bought my tank USED and I just talked to someone in customer service who said I will get my ballast within 5 business day. NO questions asked.

Tell me, what companies nowadays take care of their customers that way?? You ever call Microsoft and tell them you lost a disc for Word? You have to bypass a CIA-like interrogation JUST TO GET TO THE RIGHT DEPARTMENT!

Please, bashing this company is silly. MANY things can cause a ballast to burn out. And after 18 months, if that is the ONLY problem I have with my 'Cube, I am happy.

Thank you to the new owners of Oceanic for providing a great product, and MOREOVER, for having a "no-questions-asked" policy when something goes wrong.

My experience with this company has been nothing short of amazing.

Matt did you get my PM? Usally NR message shows sent pm's but mine isn't show I sent you 1.

To fix that, you have to click "Track this message?", and it will be in your sent folder- just watch, these take up your max of 50 pm's ;)

Glad to hear they admit it- I guess I'll go check mine :)

New2Salt: :welcome: to NR!

While your logic is correct, and Oceanic is a great company, insane did not say "don't buy a biocube!" He just said "buyer be aware of.." I love my cube, and if oceanic made a 40 gallon Bcube, I'd jump on it! Sadly, they don't :(

I had an 8 gallon Bio that the ballast went out in after about 6 months... Talked to the LFS they said bring it back and we'll switch it out... Happy about that not so happy about having to redo my tank...

To fix that, you have to click "Track this message?", and it will be in your sent folder- just watch, these take up your max of 50 pm's ;)

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Once again I will come to the defence of this product and the compnay that now owns it. On Dec 7 one of my ballast had died and I had posted request for another dead ballast so I could replace the stock ballasts with something of my own. DIY ballast project.

In the mean time I sent an email to the company requesting a replacement ballast for the stock one that failed. Today as I was leaving my office for lunch the UPS truck pulls up. As I drove away I figured it was the Pony 2X36 ballast I ordered from Nanotuners to start my DIY project. By the way Nick is the best at Nanotuners, he anwsed several of my question leading to my DIY ballast project.

Anyway back to my story. I get back to my office and open the box and to my suprise it was a factory Oceanic ballast from AGA.

Thank you for the great service Oceanic.

!!!!DIY ballast project still in the parts gathering stage. Still needing a dead ballast so I can maintain the factory hood connections.!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a ballast fiasco happen to my BC29 as well. After 6 months one of the ballast blew, I called the number and they sent me a replacement right away. The same day that I recieved and installed the new ballast, the other ballast blew. I thought I was on crazy pills or one of those hidden camera TV shows. So then I called the number again and demanded that I recieve a new hood and 2 new ballasts, just to start new. They sent me what I asked for and I have not had a problem since (going on 1.5 years now).

But everyday, it feels as though my tanks is living on borrowed time. I should just invest in one of those nice MH SunPods, those are dependable. The fact that they ran out of ballast means that there is a serious problem with the quality of these things.

WOW...seems like every1 hates oceanic...i was thinking of getting a BC29...but since their ballast blowout so often...im having second thoughts about this tank...oh well... -_- maybe i should just get a 30 gallon AGA then build a sump and get better lighting...

WOW...seems like every1 hates oceanic...i was thinking of getting a BC29...but since their ballast blowout so often...im having second thoughts about this tank...oh well... -_- maybe i should just get a 30 gallon AGA then build a sump and get better lighting...

I would highly recommend that idea as well. I will even give you the list of what to buy. Find a tank that is 20 to 30 gallons with a length of 20 inches across. Purchase the Current SunPod MH HQI 150 Watt system, there is one that is exactly 20 inches. Get your self some really strong HOB filters and your are good to go. The cost of a new All in one will be the same or more than what you will pay for this set up. Only thing different is that this setup will function alot better and will be easier to add stuff to. The downside will be that the All in One may look nicer, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

nanoreefnate
I would highly recommend that idea as well. I will even give you the list of what to buy. Find a tank that is 20 to 30 gallons with a length of 20 inches across. Purchase the Current SunPod MH HQI 150 Watt system, there is one that is exactly 20 inches. Get your self some really strong HOB filters and your are good to go. The cost of a new All in one will be the same or more than what you will pay for this set up. Only thing different is that this setup will function alot better and will be easier to add stuff to. The downside will be that the All in One may look nicer, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

yea...i might just get the 30 gallon and use a 10 gallon sump/refuigum...and if i get the halide...i could get acro and stuff like that...thanks!!!

Nate

DESERTHEATRACING

I have to say I have been treated very well by oceanic. Love there products and my tech tank! Just wish it had the starfire glass it was advratised as having on the front haha. Seems that I purchased an old unit before they started to use starfire.

im sure currentusa is a great company, specially their new product solona, but i just dont like my biocube, i hate how they made the filtration in the back. and it looks like one of my ballast has gone out after 1 yr and 2months of use.

I dont see why they dont just sell these ballasts. They could make a fortune off these things. The nanocube ballasts are easy to find, but I have not seen one internet site selling BC ballasts, why? BC filtration is probably the best setup, 2nd only to the new Nanocube MH HQI tank filtration setup.

ITeach2Wheels

Just another positive for Oceanic:

I have a noisy fan in my BC8. I took the top apart this morning to clean it out, when I reassembled it the daylight bulb was out while the actinic and fans worked. I switched bulbs and ballasts to eliminate them. I then called the tech number and was transfered to a tech. I left a number about 10:00 this morning and had a call back by 2:00 this afternoon.

I explained the situation to the tech. The diagnosis is a bad socket, apparently there is a resistor that goes bad. He then asked me for my name and address after which he stated that I would get a socket right away as he had them at his desk. I live north of Chicago so I should be getting the socket by Wednesday. The fan will take a little longer as he needs to take one off the line. He never asked for my proof of purchase, or how old the tank is.

I am very new to the hobby. My BC is about three months old with mods: fuge, w/light, filter removal new pump and Hydor-flo. I am grateful to all you guys and gals who have posted your mods for me to copy.

My point is that while I could complain about the quality.....Instead consider the price point of this tank. While I would love a Finnex or CAD, I would have never have been able to get the much higher price past the CFO. I am just thrilled that a company with a product at such a low price stands behind their product.

Just my $.02

I had bad luck trying to get in contact with them, they never returned my emails or my calls. I just ended up buying a replacement ballast from nanotuners for my 14 gallon BC.

Just talked with their tech support yesterday regarding a loud fan in my BC8. After he got the particulars of the issue he said they'd mail out replacements.

I'm suitably impressed.

Deano, I have a blown BC29 ballast you can have. PM me or post on here. No charge for my time. B)

Aly

Hey Aly I PMed you but I have what I need but hypertech was needing a cable off a bad ballest and I am sure he woud be very gratefull if you let him have yours.

Thanks again :)

Just another positive for Oceanic:

I have a noisy fan in my BC8. I took the top apart this morning to clean it out, when I reassembled it the daylight bulb was out while the actinic and fans worked. I switched bulbs and ballasts to eliminate them. I then called the tech number and was transfered to a tech. I left a number about 10:00 this morning and had a call back by 2:00 this afternoon.

I explained the situation to the tech. The diagnosis is a bad socket, apparently there is a resistor that goes bad. He then asked me for my name and address after which he stated that I would get a socket right away as he had them at his desk. I live north of Chicago so I should be getting the socket by Wednesday. The fan will take a little longer as he needs to take one off the line. He never asked for my proof of purchase, or how old the tank is.

Which number are you calling? I think the 1-800 number only works if you are in the USA and no is responding at the e-mail addresses listed in this thread. I'm having the opposite experience.

Which number are you calling? I think the 1-800 number only works if you are in the USA and no is responding at the e-mail addresses listed in this thread. I'm having the opposite experience.

Hi!

I'm a new salt water enthusiast... I had bought a 29g, but as I was setting it up yesterday, I noticed that not only the ballasts were not working, but also, and more importantly, the tank was leaking. :rant:

I hope to manage to call the people at Oceanic (there is a number that is not 1-800 in the earlier posts on this thread), because as I purchased the tank in the US and I live in Canada, I don't have access to my original dealer... An Oceanic dealer in my area actually told me that if Oceanic would call him, he would exchange my tank... I hope it works out... :scarry:

Thanks for all your knowledge and info, everyone!

• 3 months later...

I read this entire thread almost - this Ballast situation I hope has been resolved. Anyone else have any problems with them burning out?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my tank running for a while now and no ballast problems. I am however having a problem with my fans....it sounds like a bomb is about to go off for a couple of minutes as the fans warm up and then they eventually run without a problem. But i am worried that they may be getting ready to fail on me. Anyone else with this problem? Do you think they would replace these for me?

Side question: Would these be a better upgrade and do they fit a BC 29g

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=462

Thanks

Hello, We had the same problem with our Bio Cube 14, the 1 ballast went out we replaced it , then the second ballast went out and the fan - They sent 2 ballast and 2 fans- and in about a week. I think the product is good they said they had a bad batch of ballast- and they are working to get things corrected ASAP, the parts as with everything these days comes from China so sometimes a delelay can happen waiting for a container. I LOVE MY BIO-CUBE, the problem is now I'm hooked!

Archived