Top Shelf Aquatics

Need several things identified

Paramedic

I'll do these one by one. There are three.

First off, this is some red algae that I have scattered over about 30% of the tank. Sorry it's a little blurry, but hopefully you'll get the idea. It's not slime like has been mentioned in a few other threads, but it is definitely some kind of plant material, there are strands (approx 1/32" to 1/16" in width.

Also, my tank info FYI and help.

5.5AGA, 13W CF 10000K, 13W CF Blue Actinic, AquaClear250 HOB filter, Micro Pump 250 GPH, 80W Visitherm heater, 11 lbs Tonga LR, 6 lbs LS, Green Brittle Star, Emerald Crab, Peppermint Shrimp (used to be two), one blue legged hermit (used to be three), three margarita snails (used to be four), Ammonia 0, Don't have current nitrite and nitrate readings, temp 77.6-78.8 range. Tank is about three months old.

Also FYI, there was a massive outbreak of green algae throughout the tank. The emerald crab has diminished this significantly in the past week. Everything seems to be rather happy with one another, no real problems. The zoo gets things running across it from time to time, but I haven't really seen much digging at it or specific damage.

So, in closing :) The red algae is what I'm trying to identify in the first photo here. Thanks!

Number two, a small star. I'm gathering from research that this is a benign small white star, approx 1/4" in size. I've not seen it anywhere other than the glass and as opposed to many reports, I only have seen one, not the dozens or hundreds reported. (i.e. it has not been anywhere near the coral. I have a small zoo colony (forgot to mention that in the first one) seems reasonably happy. Polyps seem a little stretched, they're about 2.5" below the lights and I don't know of any way to increase their lighting.

Number three, the hitchhiker on the bottom of the rock with my zoos. From research and prior help, I've pretty much narrowed this as a glass anemone. But I wanted to make sure now that I have a pic. Finally, is this a major problem for the tank, it's on the bottom of the rock with the zoo, but not near anything else. The peppermint seems to completely ignore it. (Yes it is a true pepp, not a camelback, pic on request)

Thanks again in advance for your help

Jim

that red algae would be cyano.....take the rock out and scrub it if you can.

The second photo is an asterina star. I suggest you remove him from the tank unless you want to see white spots all over you coraline. Which he will then begin to multiply.

Third..looks like a feather duster worm to me

Archived