Pod Your Reef

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

Here are a few wide angle shots of the total system setup...

1109frontB.jpg

It would be awesome if I could somehow hide the wire coming down from the light.

1109sideB.jpg

1109sideC.jpg

1109rearA.jpg

Need a 2" desk grommet here too.

1109rearB.jpg

At least we've got a little room for pots, dishes, and other real kitchen stuff!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great, great job with the cabinet and wiring. Not sure about height. I assume your planning on SPS on the top rocks? How far are they from the surface?

Looks great, great job with the cabinet and wiring. Not sure about height. I assume your planning on SPS on the top rocks? How far are they from the surface?

Thanks alot. I'm actually planning for SPS mostly everywhere in the tank. The soft corals in there now are only temporary, to give me something to look at while the tank stabilizes. I think I might need to run a fan to cool it down one degree or two.

Someone had mentioned that you cant drill a ADA tank? Does anyone know if that is true? I think this tank would be amazing if you could drill two hole in the bottom of the tank and run a canister filter or sump. Build a cave around the outlet and inlet to cover it up but still be able to service it. Run an inline heater, and place only low flow coral in it. That would be my ultimate dream tank. One with absolutely no hardware showing.

Please tell me that it is possible with this tank... If someone out there can show me how to do it, I will begin ordering tomorrow.

Someone had mentioned that you cant drill a ADA tank? Does anyone know if that is true? I think this tank would be amazing if you could drill two hole in the bottom of the tank and run a canister filter or sump. Build a cave around the outlet and inlet to cover it up but still be able to service it. Run an inline heater, and place only low flow coral in it. That would be my ultimate dream tank. One with absolutely no hardware showing.

Please tell me that it is possible with this tank... If someone out there can show me how to do it, I will begin ordering tomorrow.

That definitely sounds like a custom build tank. The retail store where I purchased this tank insisted that it could not be drilled. Trust me, I wanted to do something similar. What I'll probably do in another 6mos is remove the hang-on-back completely, so I can view the backside without any obstruction.

Last night I was thinking that maybe the setup would benefit by using an outside canister filter instead of the hang-on-back it has now. Since the island now has holes, I can conceal the canister unit inside the cabinet. Only the intake and return tubing would be exposed, and the view from the rear would be unobstructed. Anyone know if these filters sold by ADANA USA can be used for saltwater?

105-101.jpg

ES-600 Filtration System Set (Expensive but very clean looking) MORE INFO

I don't know but I think you should definitely use those glass tubes! I think the HOB filter takes away from the beauty of the ADA tank.

That's right huh? I can always use the glass tubes and run a different (CHEAPER) canister filter. I'll order the tubes right away. any recommendations for a good canister filter? But I'll need to keep the Koralia and MJ1200 pumps in there since I'm planning on keeping a good amount of SPS.

I don't know but I think you should definitely use those glass tubes! I think the HOB filter takes away from the beauty of the ADA tank.

you can definitely use any canister filter on saltwater, however, if I may suggest --- construct a refugium/sump and add a nice powerful skimmer. Or, if you dont want to mess with that, try a euro-reef inline skimmer.

you can definitely use any canister filter on saltwater, however, if I may suggest --- construct a refugium/sump and add a nice powerful skimmer. Or, if you dont want to mess with that, try a euro-reef inline skimmer.

A sump would definitely be ideal, but I don't want to risk using a siphon overflow and have water spill all over the kitchen floor. Remember, I cannot drill this tank. Where can I get some good info on the euro-reef?

only problem with those glass input/outputs is that corraline will grow inside and IMO corraline is VERY ugly.... I have thought about getting those but the corraline inside of the glass tube stopped me.

only problem with those glass input/outputs is that corraline will grow inside and IMO corraline is VERY ugly.... I have thought about getting those but the corraline inside of the glass tube stopped me.

I've thought about that too. Corraline wouldn't bother me so much as brown and green hair algae. I still might do it, but what do you use instead?

i cant wait to see ur tank stocked with a lot of sps

Same here! Not at least for another 2mos though. I think once I get my hardware in order, especially the filtration, the tank will begin to stabalize. Hopefully some corraline will start to develop. The water is already crystal clear, which is a good sign.

Here ya go, Keith.

You can just barely see the suspension cables.

fullkitchen1.jpg

The black cord you see below the tank will be hidden inside the island,

along with the halide ballast and power strip (once I get around to drilling it).

fullkitchen2.jpg

FYI, that's my other nano tank in the right corner - BC14.

Hope you like it. Got my mother-in-law's approval!

That's beautiful! Those ADA cubes are pretty much my dream tanks! I'll be saving this thread because I plan on upgrading to one within the next few years.

EDIT: Why did you choose to put your tanks in the kitchen?

That's beautiful! Those ADA cubes are pretty much my dream tanks! I'll be saving this thread because I plan on upgrading to one within the next few years.

EDIT: Why did you choose to put your tanks in the kitchen?

I chose the kitchen at first b/c of the solid structure of the granite counter tops. They're perfectly level! More importantly, I have a 1yr old son and I worried about him knocking over a simple stand or bashing the glass. The granite counter tops are high enough for him not to reach. In a couple of years, I might venture out from the kitchen and into the living room, where I'll custom build a 2-way 200G - so you can see through the tank from inside the master bedroom and into the living room (and vice versa). But I'll always have a thing for nanos ;) So in the kitchen they'll remain b/c tanks are such a biatch to move!

you can buy 2 sets of glass tubes. when one set starts getting algae growth or whatever, switch it out for the other set. In the meantime, soak the dirty set in some vinegar. It could be a biweekly or monthly routine whenever you do w/c's.

you can buy 2 sets of glass tubes. when one set starts getting algae growth or whatever, switch it out for the other set. In the meantime, soak the dirty set in some vinegar. It could be a biweekly or monthly routine whenever you do w/c's.

Sounds like the perfect solution. Now I just need twice the money and I'm set! I'm definitely switching to an outside canister with glass tubes. After I integrate an in-line heater, that'll leave only the 2 pumps and surface skimmer in the tank. Shouldn't look to bad when it's done. For now, the HOB is keeping the tank extremely clean.

A sump would definitely be ideal, but I don't want to risk using a siphon overflow and have water spill all over the kitchen floor. Remember, I cannot drill this tank. Where can I get some good info on the euro-reef?

Has happened to my dad many times. lol he's got a 75 reef and is in the hallway right when you walk in the door to the kitchen. Every time we have a power outage (which is alot we live in florida and have hurricanes!) the whole hall way floods and my dad gets so ticked off. You should have saw him when he installed his skimmer. The sump overflowed about 5 times.

Has happened to my dad many times. lol he's got a 75 reef and is in the hallway right when you walk in the door to the kitchen. Every time we have a power outage (which is alot we live in florida and have hurricanes!) the whole hall way floods and my dad gets so ticked off. You should have saw him when he installed his skimmer. The sump overflowed about 5 times.

I hear you. that's hilarious, but raw determination, especially since he still has it! It's happened to me several times too and I don't even have a sump! My ATO overflowed a few times b/c I installed it incorrectly.

Here's a pic I took earlier today. Thought it was cool to see the reflection of my son looking out the window.

sonsonson.jpg

Right Side Shot. I've gotta get my other camera. This Sony T1 is taking blurry pics.

sidefts.jpg

I can really hear ADA calling my name next summer. Love the look of the tank. I agree though, the HOB kind of spoils the cleanliness of the tank and the 360 view. Either way, you've got a fan.

I can really hear ADA calling my name next summer. Love the look of the tank. I agree though, the HOB kind of spoils the cleanliness of the tank and the 360 view. Either way, you've got a fan.

Yup, I appreciate the constructive criticism. Based on the advice from this thread, I'm going with an outside canister filter, possibly an in-line protein skimmer, definitely an in-line heater, and clear glass tubes! Once my gear is hooked up, my next consideration is water chemistry. My other BC14 consumes so much ALK and CALC that I can hardly keep up with it. I'll probably go with a dosing pump for Kalwasser this time around.

Yup, I appreciate the constructive criticism. Based on the advice from this thread, I'm going with an outside canister filter, possibly an in-line protein skimmer, definitely an in-line heater, and clear glass tubes! Once my gear is hooked up, my next consideration is water chemistry. My other BC14 consumes so much ALK and CALC that I can hardly keep up with it. I'll probably go with a dosing pump for Kalwasser this time around.

A continuous siphon overflow filter (to 'feed' a sump that contains whatever other devices [skimmer, heater, etc.] you want to incorporate) should work.

There has to be some electrical outlet control device that would prevent the return pump in the sump from coming on after a power outage and then the worst that would happen would be for a small amount of water to drain into the sump (and the sump should be designed/purchased to easily hold extra water specifically for this reason).

There are all sorts of method for people doing this in safe fashions, look it up or get help from someone else here. Having only the sump overflow box hanging on the side of the tank and the return lines from the sump directing flow into the tank would eliminate the vast majority of the clutter in/on the tank and help it look the way that you want.

They have pipe cleaner type brushes for those tubes you know. The ADA canister filter seams way too expensive for my tast. Aquaforest also uses Fluval and Hydor canisters on their tanks.

Archived