Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

loves it. looks great man

Thanks man. I'd recommend this setup to ANYONE. For the cube, pumps, and all the filtration gear you see, it cost me roughly $430. The light was an additional $289. Most of all, I like the idea of being able to clean/change my filter, without recirculating crap back into the tank. I also own an all-in-one biocube and every time I change carbons or floss, accumulated detritus spits back into the tank. Now I can simply turn the pumps off, remove the filter completely and rinse the hole thing with freshwater. Anyway, works for me (so far).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey i was wondering if you could take some pics with lights on in your kitchen showin how the pendant looks hanging..i would love to do something like that, but my gf thinks it would not look good...i think she is wrong lol

thanks

keith

hey i was wondering if you could take some pics with lights on in your kitchen showin how the pendant looks hanging..i would love to do something like that, but my gf thinks it would not look good...i think she is wrong lol

thanks

keith

Np. Gimme 1 day to clean my kitchen first! (so you can SELL it to your GF)

so, 2 weeks ago you had massive ammonia and uncured rock, today it's full of corals, snails and fish... a few days ago a diatom bloom... your tank is cycled? what are the n-cycle parameters at, and what's the water change schedule been?

Here's something you don't see everyday...

ammonia.jpg

2nd day after introducing uncured live rock. AMMONIA. AND LOTS OF IT. Today, my tank could kill a fish quick-style.

nah, i think his dates are straight.

so, 2 weeks ago you had massive ammonia and uncured rock, today it's full of corals, snails and fish... a few days ago a diatom bloom... your tank is cycled? what are the n-cycle parameters at, and what's the water change schedule been?

Yeah, it did cycle rather quickly. The 25lb piece of uncured rock was seeded by 3 smaller pieces of cured stuff from my other tank. Also, I added water from my other tank weekly to speed things up a bit. Lastly, I added weekly doses of live bacteria left over from before. Params are reading 0 for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. If I notice anything out of norm, I'll definitely post. I won't be adding anything from the LFS for another couple of months. Keeping close watch...

no water changes? how do you "add doses of bacteria"? do you have a centrifuge?

so what did your cycle progession look like?

Maybe two 5G water changes within the last month. Bacteria in a bottle, called "STRESS ZYME." Guess it worked - or it could have been a combination of the tank water and live rock from my other system. Or the 25lb live rock I picked up from the LFS may have already been curing in their tank for several weeks already? But that wouldn't explain the high ammonia spike. No centrifuge, just a 3G bucket of water and a siphon. Honestly, I didn't track my cycle progression. The only time I saw any params out of wack was in the first 2 weeks. So far so good and everything looks happy and healthy. From here on out, I'll be changing 3Gs of water every week.

thanks

keith

Here ya go, Keith.

You can just barely see the suspension cables.

fullkitchen1.jpg

The black cord you see below the tank will be hidden inside the island,

along with the halide ballast and power strip (once I get around to drilling it).

fullkitchen2.jpg

FYI, that's my other nano tank in the right corner - BC14.

Hope you like it. Got my mother-in-law's approval!

AcroporaLokani

fullkitchen2.jpg

WOW looks good. How far is the light from the water line? it seems like alot of the 250 watts light is shining on your refrigerator and floor.

That's an interesting place to put the tank.

Typically, one would put food there, I know. But my primary incentives were having a 360 degree view, an intriguing dining centerpiece, and most importantly, keeping the tank safe from my 1yr old son!

WOW looks good. How far is the light from the water line? it seems like alot of the 250 watts light is shining on your refrigerator and floor.

Tx. The light is a good 12" from the water line. I had it about 8" at first, but it raised the temp too high. 12" helps maintain a nice 80 degrees. In a couple of months, when I introduce some SPS, I may lower it a bit. In the meantime, maybe I set a pico bowl full of zoa frags next to the cube and see how fast they grow.

do you notice any bowing with your 6mm glass?

i'm going to scratchbuild a very similar tank and am trying to decide between 1/4" and 3/8" glass

do you notice any bowing with your 6mm glass?

i'm going to scratchbuild a very similar tank and am trying to decide between 1/4" and 3/8" glass

No bowing at all, but a little thicker would be nice. Just for added comfort and security.

I think it would have been cooler to build the tank into your center island, the tanks lights shimmer all over the floor, making your house unattractive. probably add more value to your house. :happy:

I think it would have been cooler to build the tank into your center island, the tanks lights shimmer all over the floor, making your house unattractive. probably add more value to your house. :happy:

That would've been cooler, but I'd only be able to view it from one side? Oh and the kitchen table would block it.

I have a quick lighting question. How high up from the water surface can I keep my 250W HQI, without depriving SPS corals from sufficient light? During the day, water temp can rise to about 82.3 degrees, and I know it's from the heat ray above. It's about 12" above the water surface now. I'm thinking to raise it up 1.5 to 2 more inches. BTW: There aren't any SPS in the tank yet. I don't expect to add any for the next couple of months at least. Just planning ahead.

So I finally found some time to drill the side wood panels of my kitchen island. Still need to order a 2" desk grommet to finish it off. The one shown is from my entertainment system, but it doesn't quite fit. I also need a new power strip plug that won't stick outward like this one does.

1109grommet.jpg

Now all the plugs and balast are now tucked away inside the cabinet below.

1109wires.jpg

Archived