Coral Vue Hydros

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the sexiest tank ever! That light is bright enough to light up your entire kitchen. Envious...can't wait to see what you got planned. Also would that 1 power head be enough flow for your tank? I recall you saying you want mostly SPS. Another question is will you allow Coraline to be covering the back or will you be scraping it off to keep the 4 side view? I definitely think you made the right choices in equipment. Everything is so damn sexy.

This is the sexiest tank ever! That light is bright enough to light up your entire kitchen. Envious...can't wait to see what you got planned. Also would that 1 power head be enough flow for your tank? I recall you saying you want mostly SPS. Another question is will you allow Coraline to be covering the back or will you be scraping it off to keep the 4 side view? I definitely think you made the right choices in equipment. Everything is so damn sexy.

Thank you much. At night, the light casts a cool reflection off the water surface and onto the ceiling. Adds a natural element to the very center of the kitchen. I agree with having more powerheads - at LEAST ONE MORE Koralia. I'm wondering if the new Koralia Nano Pumps would have enough flow? As far as coraline growth, I am going to try to limit it to the rocks only so I can literally see corals from every side (except the bottom, hehe.)

I have yet to drill 2 holes on both ends of the kitchen island, so I can hide the ballast and power cords. The overall setup should look much cleaner after that!

cool. hope to see this tank come out looking as great as your other tank

Thanks for the support. I have a few things up my sleeve this time around. There are quite a bit more caves and tunnels to work with here. I may even try to place some deep water corals somewhere beneath the rockwork. With a 250W lamp, I'm hoping to create a FAST growing environment for more SPS! If all goes well, we can expect 360º of rare zoas, acans, some encrusting corals at the lower levels with acropora and millis up top. There are a nice pair of percula clowns waiting in my 10G laundry room tank for this one to finish cycling. I'm sure they're gonna to dig darting in and out of the holes of the branch rock. I think I may be ordering my CUC sometime next week to get everything prepped for their arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted recently but I have been taking pics...

Last weekend, I added 10 Astrea snails to clean up the diatom bloom.

diatom.jpg

CUC in action!

AddedCUC.jpg

diatom3.jpg

Several days ago, I integrated a RENA heater with my RENA filter. Awesome how it works in conjunction with the filter by acting as a direct intake for the filter.

RenaHeater.jpg

This weekend, I transfered some coral from one of my other tanks. I also introduced the clowns to their new home. Coming from a 10g AGA, everything appears much happier in here.

FTSclowns.jpg

rtsideClowns.jpg

HammerClowns.jpg

worm.jpg

Here's a pic of the tank's filtration. I hooked up the skimmer tubing to a MaxiJet 1200 instead of using the hang-on-back filtration intake. The MJ1200 adds much needed flow to the tank and creates greater suction for the surface skimmer.

SkimmerANDmaxiJet.jpg

Your MJ1200 doesn't blow the sand all over the place? I wonder if the surface skimmer, reduce the MJ1200's flow because I have a Biocube 29 that is about the size of your tank and I would have a sand storm if I aim the nozzle lower. Your powerhead is closer to the glass and is more powerful so I'm not sure why you're not getting any sand storms.

Helfrichs Chick

Purple did I read that you removed the filter and just going with the surface skimmer!!!??? If so glad to see ya try it! Telling ya it works fantastic!

Your MJ1200 doesn't blow the sand all over the place? I wonder if the surface skimmer, reduce the MJ1200's flow because I have a Biocube 29 that is about the size of your tank and I would have a sand storm if I aim the nozzle lower. Your powerhead is closer to the glass and is more powerful so I'm not sure why you're not getting any sand storms.

I'd say it's definitely moving small grains of sand at the front of the tank. The current is rather powerful, but the head of the MJ is positioned just over a ledge of rock. It has created an empty pocket of sand at the front, exactly where I intend to place a scolymia. Here's a pic:

scolyspot.jpg

Purple did I read that you removed the filter and just going with the surface skimmer!!!??? If so glad to see ya try it! Telling ya it works fantastic!

Nope. Haven't taken that step just yet. Maybe in another 6mos, once the biological filtration from the live rock is dialed in. I simply swapped the skimmer intake with a MJ1200 because the RENA heater took its place. The new heater serves 2 purposes by also acting as an intake for the hang on filter. I'm thinking it makes heating more efficient. Plus, it's like I didn't add new clutter except for the MJ, which the tank needed anyway. Here's a better pic:

filtration.jpg

what does ADA stand for? im a nub

Aqua Design Amano. Just a simple cube tank with no built in filtration or holes. Perfect silicone work. They're made in Japan and sold by only a couple of US retailers, I believe.

Archived