Innovative Marine Aquariums

How many Nassarius snails per gallon?

yoitsarson

What do you think?

I would say more like .25 to .5 per. 20 or 40 nass's in a 20 gallon would be way overkill. I think more like 4-8 in 20 gallons. (just a hypothetical tank size). I like to mix up my sand bed cleaners (all cleaners) by maybe adding a fighting conch, serpent stars, or a cucumber. I have 8 nass's, 2 serpents, and 1 Huuugggeee tigertail cucumber in my 40, and I have no issues with sand cleanliness. Also bristle worms which invariably make it into your tank will stir it up and eat detritus.

Good Luck!!

CD

1.5 per gallon.

For example, if you have a 29g - that works out to 43.5 Nassarius snails. Use poultry shears to snap the shell on the last one, making sure to divide it lengthwise. :)

Seriously, I think the rule of thumb is 1 snail for every 2 gallons. Half of those should be climbing your LR and glass (ie.. Astraea or other Turbos), and half be plowing through your substrate (Nassarius, Cerith, small Conch)

-S

1.5 per gallon.

For example, if you have a 29g - that works out to 43.5 Nassarius snails. Use poultry shears to snap the shell on the last one, making sure to divide it lengthwise. :)

Seriously, I think the rule of thumb is 1 snail for every 2 gallons. Half of those should be climbing your LR and glass (ie.. Astraea or other Turbos), and half be plowing through your substrate (Nassarius, Cerith, small Conch)

-S

Ditto. On the poultry shears part, of course :P

rroselavy second paragraph is both simple and spot on. Mix it up!! Diversity is good!

Also bristle worms which invariably make it into your tank will stir it up and eat detritus.

Christ, I hope they're not inevitable. I knew I previously had some, and then after a 4 day power outage everything died in my little 12g (except for the clown), all of them surfaced to die and I gag reflexed when I saw just how many there were. Gross looking and handfuls of them surfaced from my dsb.

Christ, I hope they're not inevitable. I knew I previously had some, and then after a 4 day power outage everything died in my little 12g (except for the clown), all of them surfaced to die and I gag reflexed when I saw just how many there were. Gross looking and handfuls of them surfaced from my dsb.

I don't know what is more cool, a DSB in a 12g or handfuls of bristle worms. Mmmmm...I love critters.

I have a 24g, and have NEVER seen a single bristle...just a few peanut worms at night.

I am a big fan of the fighting conch. He is pretty much the only thing left stirring my sand bed in my 15g (All my nass. snails climbed down the overflow, stupid buggers) I figure he has a better chance of defending himself from evil hermits than the rest do.

I am a big fan of the fighting conch. He is pretty much the only thing left stirring my sand bed in my 15g (All my nass. snails climbed down the overflow, stupid buggers) I figure he has a better chance of defending himself from evil hermits than the rest do.

The fighting conch are great to watch with their vacuum mouths, but I don't think they stir as well as the Nassarius. They seemed to lie more dormant in my SB than the Nass., sometimes not seen for days. I rarely have my Nass climb the walls, much less my overflow. But then again, I have egg crate over my 24g. They seem at home in the sand, but not as sand-bound as the fighting conches.

Archived