inTank Media Baskets

I'm done with CADLIGHTS *really PO'd*

supreme_spork

supreme_spork

Alright, need to vent. :rant:

So, along with lots of other people I had troubles with my CAD 34g signature series -- I received it with a broken bulb and bad T5 ballast, missing screws for the T5 end caps, the divider for the refugium wasn't properly aligned (sticking up about 1/3 inch on one side, most likely due to the silicone not having sufficient clamps when curing) and there were numerous what I would call "trial and error" holes punched into the lighting assembly, several of which were pretty ragged.

Eddie asked me to break down the lighting assembly to look for loose connections, which I did even though IMO it's not appropriate to ask your consumers to troubleshoot electronic malfunctions -- this was when I discovered the inadequate shielding for the lighting components, which looking at all of the ragged hole punches in the metal coupled with sloppy electrical tape bundling things together didn't bode well. But I mostly chilled out, and Eddie sent me a new ballast to wire-in.

I wired in the new ballast and everything was working fine -- although after taking the lighting assembly apart a few times the slapdash construction of the lighting hood components weren't holding up very well and starting to look even rougher around the edges -- and I thought everything was done.

Until today, when I lifted up the lighting hood and got a BIG *****ING ELECTRICAL SHOCK from the lighting hood. After swearing up a blue streak I unplugged it and took it apart *again* looking for an obvious loose wire, but I didn't find anything obvious other than what I had already identified as inappropriately shielded components. The wiring I did on the new ballast is more shielded than what came stock, so i don't *think* my wire job is to blame -- although frankly at this point I don't especially care.

So, now I think it's time to stop trying to put a positive spin on things and declare this tank, and my experience with CAD, a disaster. Eddie's good customer service doesn't make up for the fact that this thing is crappily constructed and, IMO, an electrical disaster waiting to happen -- I only hope that the tank itself doesn't spring a leak at this point. I'm planning to scrap the dangerous light hood in favor of something professionally constructed and I'll call it a day -- I don't trust CAD's construction enough to try and get a replacement. If the tank wasn't already nearing the end of its cycle I would break it down and try to return it for a refund, as I don't believe the things I'm experiencing are the result of just a one-off bad tank but rather poor construction from start-to-finish.

I don't want to bag on anyone else who loves their CAD tank, but I also need to get this review out there... based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend these tanks to anyone due to the fairly serious issues with the electrical components.

Bah. :angry:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Finnex owner I know of has never had any issues like this, and I've already read about two on here with the CAD 34g tank (your's and DropDesigns). IMO if they honestly test their components, then your's should have came in working condition. Sounds like CADs Q/C is minimal if non-existant. I'm sure if they took pride in quality control, then they'd save A LOT of money (especially on shipping) from having to sed out new replacement parts.

Is it possible the "shock" you got was from static buildup rather than the light fixture being crappy? Just throwing that out since it's a dry windy day here in LA and everything metal is f#%@ing shocking me today... =/

supreme_spork
Any Finnex owner I know of has never had any issues like this, and I've already read about two on here with the CAD 34g tank (your's and DropDesigns). IMO if they honestly test their components, then your's should have came in working condition. Sounds like CADs Q/C is minimal if non-existant. I'm sure if they took pride in quality control, then they'd save A LOT of money (especially on shipping) from having to sed out new replacement parts.

Yeah, this is definitely a QC issue -- when I disassembled the lighting hood it was just a mess of misaligned and ragged hole punches and ad-hoc wiring without adequate shielding. This is how the hood was constructed, so it's a manufacturing issue and not a case of just a single bad apple leaving the plant.

Is it possible the "shock" you got was from static buildup rather than the light fixture being crappy? Just throwing that out since it's a dry windy day here in LA and everything metal is f#%@ing shocking me today... =/

Oh no, this was a full-on electrical shock. Another problem with the CAD lighting hood is that the entire outside housing -- the part you touch whenever you lift the lid -- is made of metal that comes in direct contact with the wiring inside -- there's no insulating buffer between the wiring and the metal hood other than a few random pieces of electrical tape. It's dangerous and I would imagine that all of these hoods are at risk for shocking people based on the construction.

I really tried to keep finding the good in this tank because setting up a new reef is a labor of love that takes a huge effort -- and, actually, because Eddie is a good guy trying to do the right thing, and these tanks really do look super-cool (as long as you don't start looking at the details) and they have very generously sized rear chambers. But seriously, these tanks aren't well made and the electrical components -- if what I saw inside my lighting hood is indicative of what they're selling -- are just plain dangerous.

Bottom line: I think this AIO is a stinker.

And now that I've given the negative side which hopefully can give a glimpse of another side of the story to people trying to decide what to buy, I'm going to move-on and try to focus on actual much more enjoyable reef stuff. :)

Sorry to hear about this....but it does make me happier about my decision to buy the JBJ instead of the CAD. When I took apart my hood to instally my nanotuners actinic mod I was actually really pleased with the quality of the components on the inside of the hood, and even more impressed on the extent they went to make sure that it was completely watertight. (20+ screws holding the plexi and glass panel onto the hood with a nice soft rubber gasket)

I am really sorry for your experience. I had 22G Cadlights when I first heard this tank. I actually went down to Eddie's shop and picked it up myself. I think his tank itself is great. It's gorgeous looking nano tank. However, all other parts are very cheap stuffs. I really hated his light fixture. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to setup the system or not for couple of months, and I decided to sell the tank. Luckly Cadlights tank got really popular during that time, so I didn't lose any money.

Kellie in CA

When I decided to buy my tank, all the reviews were good. I couldn't find a bad thing about them. But now, sheesh!!! I wonder what changed. My set-up had major issues too.

does he out source his QC??

is it made in china???

are illegal aliens doing the QC???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I really don't think there's any QC. And yes they are all made in china but all other stuffs are made in china nowaday.

what a bummer!!, I wanted one of these!

I heard a lot of horror stories thus far about crooked back walls, gaps, leaks, and now electrical troubleshooting by the customer??!!!!

Luckily you didn't get more of a shock, or Cadlights will be out of business with all those law students ready to make a name for themselves, like me. B)

I'm sure these threads are being read by them. So I say to you Cadlights, improve your processes, take pride in what you emulate to be a one of a kind tank.

good grief!! unbelievable!!!! :angry:

best luck to you!!

supreme_spork
Luckily you didn't get more of a shock, or Cadlights will be out of business with all those law students ready to make a name for themselves, like me. B) best luck to you!!

Thanks! :) And oh yeah -- you can imagine what would happen if someone got a serious electrical shock while messing around in the hood and had an e-mail from Eddie telling them to troubleshoot the wiring. Yikes! :o

I really don't think there's any QC. And yes they are all made in china but all other stuffs are made in china nowaday.

Definitely no QC -- he probably tests to make sure the lighting works, but there's no way anyone is looking at these for safety or fit-and-finish. :P

When I decided to buy my tank, all the reviews were good. I couldn't find a bad thing about them. But now, sheesh!!! I wonder what changed. My set-up had major issues too.

Yep, reading everyone else's issues is really what pushed me over the edge. I think people might have been reluctant to say anything at first just because it's such a big ticket purchase and everyone is so excited about setting things up -- it was really after DropDesigns posted his frustration that I saw a bunch of people come forward with similar experiences.

I am really sorry for your experience. I had 22G Cadlights when I first heard this tank. I actually went down to Eddie's shop and picked it up myself. I think his tank itself is great. It's gorgeous looking nano tank. However, all other parts are very cheap stuffs. I really hated his light fixture. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to setup the system or not for couple of months, and I decided to sell the tank. Luckly Cadlights tank got really popular during that time, so I didn't lose any money.

Thanks, Savager. I think you made the right decision -- even though I like the tank dimensions of the CAD more than the JBJ, I would have preferred something with a professional assembly. :P

supreme_spork
Sorry to hear about this....but it does make me happier about my decision to buy the JBJ instead of the CAD. When I took apart my hood to instally my nanotuners actinic mod I was actually really pleased with the quality of the components on the inside of the hood, and even more impressed on the extent they went to make sure that it was completely watertight. (20+ screws holding the plexi and glass panel onto the hood with a nice soft rubber gasket)

Yah, I think in this case going with an established large manufacturer with more of a focus on safety might have been the right answer.

Oh well, live and learn! I'm going to replace the lighting hood and go with something like a Sunpod and I'll feel much better about safety, I'm not going to use the unshielded generic UV sterilizer and eventually I'll swap-out the pumps in favor of a brand with a good track record -- or at least in favor of a brand that has some kind of information available online! B)

That is horrible! I think you are right though, I have held back on my overall experience and thoughts of my tank. All in all I would have to say it is sub-par. The sad things is and I've said it before is I would have paid double for the same system, if it came with high end lighting, great skimmer, rockin' pumps, etc. It seems that CAD is more interested though in building and offering a Cadillac body with a Yugo Engine. It's the Twinkie filling that matters right?

The funny and ironic thing is just before purcashing the tank, I went into one of our LFS here and talked to him a bit about a Nano Tank. He was talkin' up the newest JBJ AIO, I told him about CAD and he cautioned me against it. Not that he had ever heard of them, but from buying from an online startup company. And I thought what does he know, these CAD tanks are a superior product.

The fact is that for the most part those of us that are in the market for an AIO are looking for a a bundled deal. So far I've swapped out pumps, skimmer, had to re-wire lighting, ballast, one back chamber of sump had absolutely no silicone attaching it to the back wall, had to buy extensions for all lighting being the cords aren't long enough. Geesh, now you got me goin!

It really sucks to feel bad about spending this kind of $ and not being happy about it. I'm still hoping that my end product will be a great tank though.

I guess I feel slightly better that while Finnex may have been an online startup as well (I'm not sure if they were or not) but they DO sell other products like heaters at various LFSs. I have yet to see any LFSs that sell CAD tanks, just online vendors.

I tore apart my Finnex T5 fixture before when I was having some intermittant issues with the actinic circuit cutting out and tripping off my GFCI for a brief period. Ron @ Finnex sent me a new free ballast (which I actually haven't had to use yet) but I suspected a ground issue from the start anyways rather than a bad ballast. But the interior of the fixture wasn't too shabby. No rough edges really, all wire connections are either terminal type connections, or where wires join and meet, they use those screw cap type things, NO elelctrical tape connections what-so-ever.

BTW, people are always screaming about AquaTrader light fixture, Oddyssea, but if you compared Cadlights light fixture to any AquaTrader light, hands down AquaTrader light fixture wins by miles. Cadlights light fixture make AquaTrader lights looks like one of those premium light fixture.

But I still do like their tank style though. I wish they just sell their tank without pump, skimmer and light fixture, that will be big seller.

yep if it wasn't for all cash spent on getting this thing up and going, and the custom $$$ tank stand, this piece of $hit would have been on its way back weeks ago. But you kind of get to the point were you do what you have to to make it work and call it a learning experience. I guess that my good customer service has reached its max as well, after a few weeks of use my moons lights are toast, and C.A.D lights won't return my e-mails, oh well they got their money so who cares right? I will flat out say "DO NOT BUY THIS AIO" these guys are a joke and will not be around long enough to to supply replacement parts if needed. someone else my try to e-mail this link to them and see what happends, last time I did it, I got taken off of the x-mas list.

CAD who?

well here it is all out on the table..

---- sales@cadlights.com wrote:

> Hi, Dustin

>

> The LED moonlights are one of the new features that we are experimenting

> with. No problem, i will send over a separate LED system for you tomorrow

> to use rather than the same one. it can be easily applied to with double

> sided tape or you can screw it into the reflector.

>

> Thank you

> Eddie

Come on man, that is ridiculous, now I have switch on my fixture that does nothing? This is not an expectable solution; I paid a premium price for an all in one system that has so far been anything but premium. Not to be an ass, but you should really check out the www.nano-reef.com forums and see how many really unhappy customers that you have. My local fish store was thinking about stocking your systems, but was waiting to see how mine came out. Unfortunatly I really have nothing good to say about the tank at all. Just vouch for your service as being A+ but service only gets you so far. There has just been let down after let down with this system. The newest tank that you had sent to me to replace the one that had leaking baffles and a crooked false wall has the bulk head is such a different location than my first, and that causes the pump to be suspended mid tank, instead of resting on the bottom. The glass divider walls for the refugium are so drastically different in height that there is no way for my refugium light to sit level. The newest main light fixture that you had sent looked like it had gone trough a war, beat up and scratched to hell with smears of dried epoxy on it? The wiring looks horrible electrical tape all aver the place. This is not good man, just not good.

Please keep your tape on moon lights and good luck with your business.

Sincerely

Dustin Bellew

I think that's a fair enough reply to them. They should NEVER put into production an "experimental" feature unless you knowlingly know that it's labeled as such. Tsk tsk on CAD. More and more now I'm glad I got my Finnex tank over the CAD.

man you are such a jerk Dustin. i hear ya on the tank problem, but didnt you get an extra tank for free? and it was you who said you were super happy with it saying it was perfect? now you say its not? are you just hear #####in about stuff to prove your point or are you over that and just trying to hurt somebody? if it is just your moonlights not working isnt it a better solution that they send you one that will be on its own plug and it will work? i have seen many pics of customers that used that same LED light for lots of applications before on nano reef and reefcentral. did they deny your problems and then tell you to *uck off?

i read your replies and your response went way too far and it just proves how you are a unappreciative jerk.

also like they said, they dont make the lights and gets that outsourced to a light manufacturer. they are willing to send whatever is necessary to the customer.

why dont you put your money where your mouth is and post up some pics of what you are talking about? and dont just say BS. PROVE IT or SHUT-UP.

well here it is all out on the table..

---- sales@cadlights.com wrote:

> Hi, Dustin

>

> The LED moonlights are one of the new features that we are experimenting

> with. No problem, i will send over a separate LED system for you tomorrow

> to use rather than the same one. it can be easily applied to with double

> sided tape or you can screw it into the reflector.

>

> Thank you

> Eddie

Come on man, that is ridiculous, now I have switch on my fixture that does nothing? This is not an expectable solution; I paid a premium price for an all in one system that has so far been anything but premium. Not to be an ass, but you should really check out the www.nano-reef.com forums and see how many really unhappy customers that you have. My local fish store was thinking about stocking your systems, but was waiting to see how mine came out. Unfortunatly I really have nothing good to say about the tank at all. Just vouch for your service as being A+ but service only gets you so far. There has just been let down after let down with this system. The newest tank that you had sent to me to replace the one that had leaking baffles and a crooked false wall has the bulk head is such a different location than my first, and that causes the pump to be suspended mid tank, instead of resting on the bottom. The glass divider walls for the refugium are so drastically different in height that there is no way for my refugium light to sit level. The newest main light fixture that you had sent looked like it had gone trough a war, beat up and scratched to hell with smears of dried epoxy on it? The wiring looks horrible electrical tape all aver the place. This is not good man, just not good.

Please keep your tape on moon lights and good luck with your business.

Sincerely

Dustin Bellew

man you are such a jerk Dustin. i hear ya on the tank problem, but didnt you get an extra tank for free? and it was you who said you were super happy with it saying it was perfect? now you say its not? are you just hear #####in about stuff to prove your point or are you over that and just trying to hurt somebody? if it is just your moonlights not working isnt it a better solution that they send you one that will be on its own plug and it will work? i have seen many pics of customers that used that same LED light for lots of applications before on nano reef and reefcentral. did they deny your problems and then tell you to *uck off?

i read your replies and your response went way too far and it just proves how you are a unappreciative jerk.

also like they said, they dont make the lights and gets that outsourced to a light manufacturer. they are willing to send whatever is necessary to the customer.

why dont you put your money where your mouth is and post up some pics of what you are talking about? and dont just say BS. PROVE IT or SHUT-UP.

Harsh perhaps, but I can see why he'd be upset about a tank that never came right from the factory to begin with. They send him a new one (did they?) that SHOULD work better than the first, yet things still go bad on it in only a few months time. If there's a lighting/wiring issue, then a customer should NEVER be required to fix it themself, especially since not everyone is on the same level when it comes to electronics or electrical work. Of course it's not CADs fault for faulty fixtures, but actually it is if you think about it. They order the fixtures from a company. If the quality is substandard they can contract it out to another company that might produce better quality, or just go with a cpmplaetely different and better fixture (perhaps the one that Finnex uses). As a potential customer, I'd be MUCH happier with a design change (even if not for the better) to insure a flawlessly working product, then get a better fixture that doesn't work or breaks on me. This is an excellent example of why outsourcing is a BS reason to save money, in the end they will spend the same just shipping out new fixtures between shipping costs themself and having to send NEW fixtures for FREE on their own dime. With the prices of a CAD tank, I'd expect it work better and offer more than Finnex... which as some would say, is the "cheaper" alternative.

I think we all understood that Cadlights has great service. They will send you all the parts need to be fix your stuffs. However, if you are paying top money for your AIO production, wouldn't you want to get something right in the first place? And alot of time, it's their light fixture is one that having a problem. And this is very dangerous, since we are dealing with salt water. As original poster said, you can get shock or if it's not properly sealed or wired, you can even burn your whole house down.

I compared their light fixture with AquaTrader light fixture. I am telling you, AquaTrader light fixture is much much better than Cadlights fixture. And we all know AquaTrader light isn't the safest thing, and there's couple people had fire.

If I have a choice, I can see myself getting their tank only. But no way in hell, I am getting their light fixture.

Kellie in CA

I understand the frusteration. I paid over $500 for my system and have had nothing but problems.

1st shipment: Tank and nearly everything else in the box was smashed into a million pieces

2nd shipment: Tank intact, but MH not working. The tank was in pretty good shape, BUT there is black silicone smeared down the bottom side (totally visible at the sandline). I worked on it with a razorblade for over an hour and could only successfully remove about half because it was part of the bottom seal. Finally got the thing filled up and there was a leak coming from the fuge! I had to drain the whole thing and silicone it.

3rd shipment: New ballast (gear box) and fuge light (original one was so long it made installing the cooling fan impossible). MH finally worked!!! But, the fuge light glass was smashed, all bulbs were broken and I had to piece it back together with parts from the first fuge light I was sent. I have no DIY skills, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Now: everything is finally working, and I have been cycling for a few weeks. However, the flow seemed a bit low, and I was very disappointed when I did the calculation on the pump and found that it was only rated for 356 gph, NOT the 450 gph that was advertised at the site. And to top it off, when I was doing maintenance this weekend I discovered that various parts are rusting. Sheesh!!!

Ok I ‘am an A$$...Um yeah what ever you say. Now moving on,

In response to the 2nd tank being perfect, that was a first impression of when I took it out of the box and looked for the problem areas that I had with the original tank. Wall straight...check Clean joint connections....check All walls properly joined to one another....check. Get the point. In my excitement of what looked like the fawking Mona Lisa compared the first pile of ###### that I got, yeah I posted up everything is AOK. Why am I explaining myself to you? Anyways I never asked to keep the fist tank; I think that it costs CAD more to have the tank picked up, than what it cost them to build it. I can assure you this is not some immature smear campaign; believe me I have better things to do with my time. If you want to call all of this a fluke and chock it up to an issue with some imported lighting, man do you have a thing or two to learn about business and life in general. Open your eyes and see for your self this is but one forum on the net and almost everyone here who has ordered a tank from them in the last month or two have some major complaining to do. So if I upset your harmony and illusion that you have a tank from the greatest Nano manufacture in the world, sorry but all of this is true. Get over yourself. And quit trying to bust my balls.

supreme_spork

Hi donreefer -- I think it's important to note that as consumers we have no obligation to be "appreciative" to the businesses we choose to buy from -- we do, however, have the right to demand superior quality when we pay a premium price. I think some of the griping you're seeing is the result of pent-up frustration that's finally being released -- the expectations of these systems were higher than the product was able to live up to.

I understand that you really love your CAD and I'm really glad to hear a success story -- but there are some serious issues with a fair number of these tanks that need to be addressed. It's OK to be angry when your 700.00+ top-of-the-line reef tank has some of the issues that lots of us have been dealing with. It doesn't matter if CAD doesn't manufacture the individual components in their systems -- because they place their label on the final product and sell the components, they need to be responsible for ensuring that every component in the system is quality-built and fully tested before it ever gets into consumer hands.

I think Eddie has been doing everything he can through this experience and that really does help -- but Eddie's great service can't compensate for some of the things that people are experiencing and -- at least in my case -- some of the real dangers of the lighting assembly. Enough people have reported significant problems that this is something CAD needs to take swift action to correct if they don't want to lose consumer trust.

As consumers let's stick together and not throw each other under the bus when we're frustrated... when I'm researching a major purchase I don't want to see people glossing over real issues, I'd rather that everything was out in the open with no gloss.

SS

Yeah i hate to hear good companies take the fall for outsourcing products. but dont they get any credit for still maintaining great service and standing by the customer? thats why i got ticked off by Drop's accusations and trying to hurt somebody thats trying to sincerely solve the problems.

outsourcing is something we have to deal with as it is much cheaper to have things built in China, India, Korea, Thailand wherever, we can only hope good business practices will also spread to them along with manufacturing.

i live in the upper East side of NYC so i have gone to Island aquarium to purchase my corals and i visit the Cadlights warehouse quite a few times. they have a pretty big operation on building the Cadlights nano tanks and lots of HUGE custom tank jobs all around the city as well, so trust me Drop, they are here to stay. you can see lots of their tanks in clubs and lounges around the City. theres one close to me called club Dragonfly, awesome 700g tank.

Harsh perhaps, but I can see why he'd be upset about a tank that never came right from the factory to begin with. They send him a new one (did they?) that SHOULD work better than the first, yet things still go bad on it in only a few months time. If there's a lighting/wiring issue, then a customer should NEVER be required to fix it themself, especially since not everyone is on the same level when it comes to electronics or electrical work. Of course it's not CADs fault for faulty fixtures, but actually it is if you think about it. They order the fixtures from a company. If the quality is substandard they can contract it out to another company that might produce better quality, or just go with a cpmplaetely different and better fixture (perhaps the one that Finnex uses). As a potential customer, I'd be MUCH happier with a design change (even if not for the better) to insure a flawlessly working product, then get a better fixture that doesn't work or breaks on me. This is an excellent example of why outsourcing is a BS reason to save money, in the end they will spend the same just shipping out new fixtures between shipping costs themself and having to send NEW fixtures for FREE on their own dime. With the prices of a CAD tank, I'd expect it work better and offer more than Finnex... which as some would say, is the "cheaper" alternative.
I understand the frusteration. I paid over $500 for my system and have had nothing but problems.

1st shipment: Tank and nearly everything else in the box was smashed into a million pieces

2nd shipment: Tank intact, but MH not working. The tank was in pretty good shape, BUT there is black silicone smeared down the bottom side (totally visible at the sandline). I worked on it with a razorblade for over an hour and could only successfully remove about half because it was part of the bottom seal. Finally got the thing filled up and there was a leak coming from the fuge! I had to drain the whole thing and silicone it.

3rd shipment: New ballast (gear box) and fuge light (original one was so long it made installing the cooling fan impossible). MH finally worked!!! But, the fuge light glass was smashed, all bulbs were broken and I had to piece it back together with parts from the first fuge light I was sent. I have no DIY skills, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Now: everything is finally working, and I have been cycling for a few weeks. However, the flow seemed a bit low, and I was very disappointed when I did the calculation on the pump and found that it was only rated for 356 gph, NOT the 450 gph that was advertised at the site. And to top it off, when I was doing maintenance this weekend I discovered that various parts are rusting. Sheesh!!!

Kellie,

watch what you say or Donreefer "the cad patrol" will be out for you next.

Archived