Innovative Marine Aquariums

Luk3s 12g AP *new stuff w/pics*

Luk3

by the way dude, i have a feather duster, it likes to be placed in moderate flow so the particles it feeds off of in the water like phytoplankton (they are filter feeders) dose the water with a supplement like marine snow, they love it, LPS will appreciate it too. place it medium to low in your aquarium, try to put it in one of your Live rocks pores (they will move and attach to the rock in time, and face their crown up, so dont worry if its off to the side at first. dont give it too much flow, because then its crown will be folded, preventing food from reaching it well. they are great, low-maintenance animals. go for it! best to get one 2 or so months after tank set up though, although i got one earlier i shouldnt have, but no problems so far, i feed it marine snow and its doing great, its building more onto its tube!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again thanks for the info :) IMO feather dusters are a very intriguing "animal" well, worm really.

Im definetly not going to get a big anemone but what about something like a

Rock anemone? or do they get to big, this website says they are peaceful and have reasonably short tentacles

they can get fairly big, although their tentacles are short, but still in a small tank they cold still sting neighboring corals. the good thing about rock anemones is that they dont move too much. if you want an anemone clowns will host, you wont have luck with a rock anemone. and honestly i would just go with other corals. you can find lots of LPS with AMAZING tentacles, easy to frag, much cooler than rock anemones. check out frogspawn, torch, and long tentacle plate. anemones in that small a system would be basically your whole tank. and getting an anemone that would host clowns like a long tentacle isnt a good idea either because theyll get way too big and sting everything because of their size.

I see, do you have any personal preference between frogspawn and torch, and which one is generally easier to care for.

in my opinion, they are both incredible in terms of appearance. but i have heard people generally have much better luck with torch, as well as its growth. its also easy to frag because it has individual heads that grow. you could potentially have either, just do some research and see which fits what your looking for best. btw i have seen clowns hosting torch sometimes :)

Well i found my first hitchhikers.

At first i thought i didnt have any because i looked very hard at my rocks for a long time and couldnt find anything until about 2 am this morning. I was just checking out my tank when it had its LEDs on and i saw a little white thing. So i flipped the whites on and sure enough this little white strand was moving around. Then i saw another strand and another, then i realized that they were arms. Im assuming its some kind of brittle star but he wont come all the way into the open for a picture. Then out of the corner of my eye i saw a flash of something very quick. I have no clue what this was. I was on a roll and i spotted a little tiny (to what im assuming) feather duster, and then about a minute later i saw another one. Then right next to that i found this little snail. He was small but not tiny. I havent ID'd him yet. He was a tanish color. Sorry about no pics ill try to get some later

well i thought about my LR and i realized that i had never asked my LFS if they rock was cured or not. So i called them up and he said that the rock was cured and i should not expect to have a cycle.

When i checked my params everything was normal except the nitrates were at 20 (but this still isnt so bad)

what does everyone think?

Should i wait it out, and if my LR is truly cured will i still have an algae bloom?

And my nitrates are supposed to be under 10 right

bump for LR and hitchiker questoin

you should definetely still wait for a bloom and give your tank time to cycle. yes nitrates should be as low as you can get them but below 10 is safe. your hitchhiker looks like brittle star legs, although they are lighter than most i've seen. i would say bristle worms but they seem to be connected (the two apparatus') looks like nothing to worry about .

alright thats whats i thought, but the guy at the LFS said i didnt need to go through a cycle, Isnt weird that all my params are normal except my nitrates, and thats still low and probably could be fixed by a water change right?

alright thats whats i thought, but the guy at the LFS said i didnt need to go through a cycle, Isnt weird that all my params are normal except my nitrates, and thats still low and probably could be fixed by a water change right?

run chemipure. also, use a fuge, thats the best way of consistently keeping nitrates in check.

i honestly still dont know what a fuge is or how to set it up. Iv been seeing it everywhere on this website but i cant find what it is or how to use it

i honestly still dont know what a fuge is or how to set it up. Iv been seeing it everywhere on this website but i cant find what it is or how to use it

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=35&t=70138

thats how to set it up on a nano cube. a fuge is a water processing area with chaeto algae or mongrove chutes etc. that filters out the water, and purifies it. it shouldnt be hard to modify you ap12 for a fuge. (stands for refugium)

I plan on keeping the Bioballs and just putting some chaeto on tope of them. That should help with keeping the algae at a low. I need some pods!

bioballs are only good if you wash them every other day. leave them alone and you'll end up with lots of water parameter problems.

a refugium is a place of refuge. we just happen to use them to keep macro algae and other types of nutrient export. cheato needs light, so you will either have to cut the back and fit a light on, or get a waterproof light and shove it in with the cheato.

if you want your tank to be successful in the very long run, try to stay away from man made filtration. sooner or later you will find that nothing can out-compete natural solutions to problems. can you put a band-aid on a broken bone? that would be the same thing as running chemi-pure or whatever else to get rid of a nitrate problem.

also, instead of taking one person's advice on whether or not a coral looks cool or if you should keep one, do some studying on your own. you'll learn a lot more that way because even if you focus your study on one thing, you will come across information on a ton of other things.

Tim

Well i appreciate all your replies

I think ive had my diatom bloom, i woke up and my rocks were all brown

before

post-31219-1192980944_thumb.jpg

After

post-31219-1192980821_thumb.jpg

post-31219-1192980994_thumb.jpg

How long should this last and how bad should it get, and is there anything i need to do/clean or anything or should i just let it do its thing

let it do it's thing. You should be testing your water parameters. that is the ultimate indication if your levels are safe... not the actual bloom itself.

alright, can you tell from the picture if this is truly the diatom bloom.

And generally what should my params look like.

Yesterday i tested ( before the "bloom") and Ph was 8.1 nitrite and ammonia were at 0 and nitrate was at 20

Any answers are appreciated

alright, can you tell from the picture if this is truly the diatom bloom.

And generally what should my params look like.

Yesterday i tested ( before the "bloom") and Ph was 8.1 nitrite and ammonia were at 0 and nitrate was at 20

Any answers are appreciated

Nitrates are generally high, you get rid of nitrates by having a fuge or doing a water change. A bloom for me is hardly anything at all if moving around cured live rock.

Archived