Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Luk3s 12g AP *new stuff w/pics*

Luk3

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks like you're off to good start. i dig your aquascaping.

I never have really bad algae blooms... I usually luck out. The sand gets a little brown but then the snails handle it all. Out of curiosity what all does everyone else reading this post have in thier tanks?

I have 1 clownfish, 14-15lbs LR, 10lbs live sand bed, 3 red leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, 3 nassarous snails, and 1 other snail. I kind of wanted more hermits, a fire fish, and a shrimp of some sort. I just like cool things in the tank. Any suggestions as to what else I should put in there?

Keep up the good work Luke, the hobby is fun.

My first alge bloom was around day 16. Brown Diatioms everywhere!

Think your on the right track! Have fun!

Thanks alot, how long do the brown diatoms usually last and what do they look like?

looks like you're off to good start. i dig your aquascaping.

Thanks!

I never have really bad algae blooms... I usually luck out. The sand gets a little brown but then the snails handle it all. Out of curiosity what all does everyone else reading this post have in thier tanks?

I have 1 clownfish, 14-15lbs LR, 10lbs live sand bed, 3 red leg hermits, 2 turbo snails, 3 nassarous snails, and 1 other snail. I kind of wanted more hermits, a fire fish, and a shrimp of some sort. I just like cool things in the tank. Any suggestions as to what else I should put in there?

Keep up the good work Luke, the hobby is fun.

Again thank you :D

I plan on putting a pair or clowns in for fish either false percs or tomatos (is there any reason tomato shouldnt be in a 12g?), as many different zoas as i can, a xenia, and a feather duster ( where is the best placement for feather dusters? i know they need a moderate flow what about light and do they have to be put in sand?)

well today was the first full day that ive had my tank with LR so i did a complete light cycle to see what the temps were.

I left the lights off over night to get a fresh temperature start.

When i first put the actincs on (at 7am in the morning) the temp was 79.3

and i check it periodically the temp gradually got higher and higher and when i just turned the white off ( at 7pm) so now only the actincs are on the temp is now 81.3

Is a 2 degree temp change normal (i think it is but want to be sure)

My SG is at 1.024 and i havent started to check PH nitrates nitrites or ammonia yet i will once i get my first algae bloom (is that an alright idea?)

well today was the first full day that ive had my tank with LR so i did a complete light cycle to see what the temps were.

I left the lights off over night to get a fresh temperature start.

When i first put the actincs on (at 7am in the morning) the temp was 79.3

and i check it periodically the temp gradually got higher and higher and when i just turned the white off ( at 7pm) so now only the actincs are on the temp is now 81.3

Is a 2 degree temp change normal (i think it is but want to be sure)

My SG is at 1.024 and i havent started to check PH nitrates nitrites or ammonia yet i will once i get my first algae bloom (is that an alright idea?)

2* temp change is great actually. You will notice with a little fan for some movement you will see the temp stabalize a little lower. Mine is ALWAYS between 77*-78* even when the door is open and its 50* out. I have the 100 watt stealth heater in there to hold the temp when the temp around the tank is really cold.

As far as checking the pH and such, I mean there is no use in checking that until you are wanting to find out if you can start stocking yet. IMO sticking some live sand in after a few days is a good idea. Its cheap, buy the bags from Petsmart that is usually the best idea. I got 2 of the 5lb bags.

Ya I have 1 clown, I don't know what the deal is with tomatoes. I just like the bright colors of the clowns. I wanted to add a firefish too and maybe 1 more clown as well.

I have feather dusters growing on the LR that I got. It came with the rock. I think they need good flow though you are right.

Thanks alot GHawsJR.

Well i checked my params today, i guess i was just wondering what was going on.

Params:

Temp: leveled off at 80.2

SG: 1.024

Ammonia - 0.5 PPM

Nitrite - 1

Nitrate - 30

PH - 7.9

I know its a still pretty early to worry about Params but i just wanted to test to see whats up.

Also will my PH raise a little ( i know it needs to be higher). Will it raise on its own or will i need to do something in the future

Oh and here is a picture of my cave, i thought it was pretty big, i agree tho in the other picture it did look small

post-31219-1192476550_thumb.jpg

when did you test for ph, at the end of the light cycle your pH will be at its highest point, and when the lights go off pH will drop. This is why people that have ph problems use a reverse light cycle refuge or sump to counter the seesaw effect.

Just keep a close eye on the temps. I used to have an AP12 and a 83F degree ambient temp apartment. The tank usually would get up to 85-86F until I added an ICA chiller to the hood which kept the tank at a constant 80-81F I needed it living in So. Cali though. Also just FYI, S.G. level is relative to water temp. The higher the temp, the higher the S.G. becomes and vice versa.

I feel like I'm following Phixion around...I keep posting after him.

There were a couple of questions from a few days ago that I don't think were answered. Yes, you can use the stock AP12 pump for mixing saltwater in a bucket, it has the added benefit of also doing the job of a heater (mine seems to heat 4 gallons to 80*). Also, mixing saltwater in the tank is fine only when you are first setting it up, but now that your tank is set up, always mix new water in a bucket -- never in the tank.

I feel like I'm following Phixion around...I keep posting after him.

There were a couple of questions from a few days ago that I don't think were answered. Yes, you can use the stock AP12 pump for mixing saltwater in a bucket, it has the added benefit of also doing the job of a heater (mine seems to heat 4 gallons to 80*). Also, mixing saltwater in the tank is fine only when you are first setting it up, but now that your tank is set up, always mix new water in a bucket -- never in the tank.

lol, ditto to the above though. I use the stock pump from my old AP12 for mixing SW in 5g buckets. Workes really great and it DOES keep the water around the temp you'd want it at. BTW, the stock pump is 13w and has '5.5 feet of head lift to it! (all gotten from the info on the pump) :o No wonder why it works so well to get water from the bottom of the bucket up into the tank with the top about '4.5 feet off the ground.

Generally you dont want any surface film. if you point your water flow up a little so it breaks the water up at the top that will help. Also, if your using the stock sponge that came with the tank, cut it in half, and push it down a little. This might help!

Whats the advantage of cutting the sponge in half?

No advantage that I can think of other than allowing you to push it down further into the chamber. But covering up the lower intake grates as well as pointing the return slightly up to aggitate the water at the surface always helps. Blocking the lower intake grates allows ONLY the water at the surface to be taken in thus allowing for more efficient surface skimming.

I blocked the lowest one but not the one in the middle, is there anything you can i suggest i block it with that isnt unattractive, the cd case piece looks pretty bad just stuck there against the back wall

I blocked the lowest one but not the one in the middle, is there anything you can i suggest i block it with that isnt unattractive, the cd case piece looks pretty bad just stuck there against the back wall

You could mount them on the INSIDE of the chamber adding silicon or epoxy to hold them in place and seal them off... If you prefer to use the stock sponge then that'll for sure work to hold the CD case pieces in place as well.

Well i took the sponge out cleaned (it was pretty dirty) then slide it back in with a CD piece between the wall and the sponge to block the upper grates. i also slightly angled one my the arms of the Y tube to agitate the water

hey man i read your earlier post about stocking ideas. i bought 2 tomatoes for my 24g nano cube, and even that was too small for them. for them to be relaxed and non-aggressive (even if they are in a pair) you need at least a 25g long or if its a more cubeish tank 29-34g minimum. the fish were fine at the LFS in their 25g long, but when they got in my 24g nano, the female started nipping at the male (beyond point of normal dominant behavior) so i took them back. if you want clowns stick with false percs, mine are very happy. in a 12g, especially an aquapod since the swimming area is actually only about 8-9 gallons, even 2 false percs could be pushing it..but they might could be allright. more ideal could be one false perc and a goby.

Thanks for all your help, when can i expect to get an an algae bloom, and is this the first sign of my tank starting to cycle?

it really depends on a lot of factors. most people see the initial diatom bloom (if thats what you mean) within about 2-3 weeks. and yes this is a sign that the cycle is nearly complete. after the diatom bloom comes he green algae bloom, which is when you should put in a CUC, they will partly clear it up, and it will also dissapear with time, if it doesnt you know you have nitrate issues.

well i read on dr. fosters to blow off all the stuff on my rocks. So i took a turkey baster and blew off all of the loose stuff, they said to clean up the loose stuff, but im not sure that i should.

So my question is should i pick up the stuff or just leave it to decompose and help the cycle.

I also had a question about siphoning.

I used to have a 45 freshwater and when i cleaned it i used a gravel siphon. My question is can i use a gravel siphon for the sand, or is the sand too light/little? and when i put water back in should i mix my water in the tank or elsewhere.

well i read on dr. fosters to blow off all the stuff on my rocks. So i took a turkey baster and blew off all of the loose stuff, they said to clean up the loose stuff, but im not sure that i should.

So my question is should i pick up the stuff or just leave it to decompose and help the cycle.

I also had a question about siphoning.

I used to have a 45 freshwater and when i cleaned it i used a gravel siphon. My question is can i use a gravel siphon for the sand, or is the sand too light/little? and when i put water back in should i mix my water in the tank or elsewhere.

yeah blow off detrius, SOME mind you. you cant blow algae off. clean up the big stuff, chunks, etc.

gravel siphons arent good for siphoning sand because the sand is so light that it will cloud your tank up..not a good idea.

DEFINETELY mix your salt water in like a 5 gal bucket before you change out water. mix the salt in with a pump, and either use a heater, or let the water change to the room temp. before you put it in the water, so the temp. doesnt fluctuate when you change water. let the water sit for 12-24 hours before adding and make sure to test specific gravity level. parameters in small systems are CRITICAL to keep constant.

Alright cool, thank you so much for all the help

np, any more questions you have feel free to ask, ill keep checking out this thread to see how your doing.

Archived