Top Shelf Aquatics

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

revaltion131

I was doing a search to see if I could identify some hydroidish things that I have and stumbled upon this great pic thread. Thought I'd add it to this thread. Most of the things on it are already in the original few posts of this thread, but there are different pictures and some snails that aren't mentioned.

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

Kalle....that'looks like a nudibranch....I would get it if you can

Another to add to the "Harmful" list.....

Gorilla, or Teddy Bear crab....definite predator....Watch out for furry crabs, or those with dark tipped claws...

HairyLittleBastard.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
WHEW, ok thats all I have for now. I think I covered most of the comon hitchikers. Sorry I had to do it in multiple posts, and I have an email out to CM about making this easier to use with a sticky. If there is something you would like to add please shoot me a pm and let me know. THANKS and hope you found this useful.

Hey , thanks great reference for us all. Keeping it in my resource file for refferences.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

looked at entire topic and still not sure what this is...any help out there? It is the little pink looking thing in the middle...it is the best i could do with the photo. Hope someone can help

100_0770-1.jpg

100_0771.jpg

Edited by kirtdog
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all... first post!

I've had my 14g nanocube for a little over a week, but it came with some live rock and sand that had been there for months. Since then I've added some snails, 10lbs more live rock, and an emerald crab (who was removed hours later for going terminator on my poor feather dusters!)

I found this guy on a piece of LR, and I've looked all over and haven't seen anything like it. It looks like the green and purple algae around it until it moves. Kind of looks like a claw or two legs, and they raise up slowly or close down quickly.. Any ideas? Thanks!

post-40852-1229307183_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
The harmful critter section scared me, literally. I fear for my tank now.. :scarry:

I also fear for my mantis tank, because I have reason to believe that there is a MANTIS in it... :wacko:

But every thing was very helpful, except now Im scared.

I am a newbie and reading this trad also scared me. I am cycling my NC24 as I type and have my finger crossed that whatever comes out of my LR is not harmful or ugly :(

BLoCkCliMbeR

no hydroids mentioned? i had to nuke a rock b/c it was so badly infested.....tried scrubbing and such...no use...so i put it in a microwave safe container and cooked it.... i dont like bleach......

btw.....be careful w/ the microwave....steam can build up in the rock it it will explode! mabe a safer alternative is to boil it on the stove...sorry no pic it was about 2 yrs ago...

no hydroids mentioned? i had to nuke a rock b/c it was so badly infested.....tried scrubbing and such...no use...so i put it in a microwave safe container and cooked it.... i dont like bleach......

btw.....be careful w/ the microwave....steam can build up in the rock it it will explode! mabe a safer alternative is to boil it on the stove...sorry no pic it was about 2 yrs ago...

Wow, so you turned LR into dead rock. Would never recommend this to anyone.

BLoCkCliMbeR
Wow, so you turned LR into dead rock. Would never recommend this to anyone.

was a lesser evil......why possibly contaminate my whole system with those guys when i couldnt beat them conventianlly? nothing i know of eats them, and if i bleached my rock with chlorine, i couldnt put it back in my system again....so what do i do? let it dry out? same effect.....dead rock.....so i nuked it and put it in an algae tank i had and let the crabs clean it off....the hydroids killd a colony of zoas on the same rock.....i really did not want an infestation...

BLoCkCliMbeR
Hydroids will not spread much if you keep nutrients under control.

your 2 years too late! i promise the rock came "back to life" in a month or so...minus the hydroids,

so nothing eats those bastards?

was a lesser evil......why possibly contaminate my whole system with those guys when i couldnt beat them conventianlly? nothing i know of eats them, and if i bleached my rock with chlorine, i couldnt put it back in my system again....so what do i do? let it dry out? same effect.....dead rock.....so i nuked it and put it in an algae tank i had and let the crabs clean it off....the hydroids killd a colony of zoas on the same rock.....i really did not want an infestation...

This

Hydroids will not spread much if you keep nutrients under control.

Also be better off pulling the rock and tossing. By nuking it and putting it back you risking a mini-cycle or full blown\ crash. Not to mention the possibility of the rock exploding. This is just ridiculous.

Edited by Greenstar
BLoCkCliMbeR

i put it in my algea tank to get cleaned off by the crabs bro....diffrent type of system..my macro and crabs loved it.....i also had a eunice worm on a diffrent rock, bad news usually but i spared his life, he was cool looking...like a zebra...he also ended up living out his life in my algea tank......will post a pic of that guy soon as i can dig it out! im not so microwave happy now....i just keep a spare tank to put my misfits in