inTank Media Baskets

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

• 1 month later...

can someone please please tell me what this is?? i've had a few of my mates take a look at it but none of them can tell me what it is. thanks to everyone and great thread!

post-44781-1245247382_thumb.jpg

lakshwadeep
can someone please please tell me what this is?? i've had a few of my mates take a look at it but none of them can tell me what it is. thanks to everyone and great thread!

It could be hydnophora. In any case, it would be better if you made a separate thread (in this forum) as many people aren't going to check this thread for new questions.

also can someone please tell me if clown fish are known to eat eachother or are they just really good magicians? My male has dissappeared!

It is unlikely. Have you checked if it jumped out?

• 1 month later...
They do look like asterinids.

Ok, they are much larger than the other ones I have and are a funky tealish color, the others are white.

• 2 months later...
Militant Jurist
I found this thing when I was breaking some rocks up.

You might want to post a new topic to get an answer more quickly. ;) I'm rather curious to find out what that is as well!

I think it's a tanaid [crustacean], though they look similar to mantis shrimp. I always see them digging below the sand level. They seem to be picking at things like detritus.

• 3 months later...
Marine Man Tom

Hi i have these "things" in my tank some people told me they are colonial hydroids, are they good or bad?

they've grown since last night, there were nine last night and now theres virtually 20 or so branching of from eachother the pics are in the post a bit hard to see but just englarge them and you will hopefully see the brown almost feather duster like creatures, and unfortunatley i found a rock crab last night, it was small and must've been one, black/grey all over, i also have another crab in there that looks to big to get out of where it LIVES its so big, but anyway what is this stuff?

post-49155-1261817188_thumb.jpg

post-49155-1261817207_thumb.jpg

post-49155-1261817229_thumb.jpg

post-49155-1261817248_thumb.jpg

Yes, those look like colonial hydroids (although the focus is not clear). Whether they are good or bad is subjective. They may go away on their own.

Do you have a picture(s) of the crabs?

Marine Man Tom

soz one of them is definitley a rock crab... but a very very very small one and then i have this massive thing not a rock crab, cant get a photo of it as it hides in 1 part of the rock and i think is stuck there :D

but ive seen its claw... big, and white

• 3 weeks later...
purplepeopleeater!

hey everybody i have a problem with aipspatias but i recently found another pest that seems like an anemone cause if you scare it i shrinks back into its base the tentacles have little white balls on the ends they kinda look cool but they really have spread quickly

id put up a pic but it would look terrible cause they are almost invisible so just ask me any questions and ill describe them as best i can

• 2 weeks later...
i put it in my algea tank to get cleaned off by the crabs bro....diffrent type of system..my macro and crabs loved it.....i also had a eunice worm on a diffrent rock, bad news usually but i spared his life, he was cool looking...like a zebra...he also ended up living out his life in my algea tank......will post a pic of that guy soon as i can dig it out! im not so microwave happy now....i just keep a spare tank to put my misfits in

Um... a bit extreme. I would think that just putting it in a bath of cold fresh water would kill most anything complex. I mean... you would think the hydroids would just blow up.

I can't tell either. Might be small filter feeder worm things.

I actually fed a hydroid of mine guppies and goldfish. It grew HUGE!

Anyone game for a competition?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pretty good picture of hydroids. They are BAD. The toxin they release into the water will sting your hands for hours. The only way to get rid of these is to pull all the rock out of the tank and put in the sun for 30 days. YES they do spread! They will return if not killed off completely. They are not killed in freshwater even after 48 hours.

aptasiaclose-up.jpg

aptasia.jpg

Thanks for this thread.

Edited by Countryreef
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same thing, are they good or bad?

I thought I would add one of my hitchhikers,thought it might be helpful to someone. I kept watching these microscopic things grown on my rock to find out later there were tiny jellyfish swimming in my tank.Too small to get a photo of them swimming but I do have photos of the colony and then one resting on the glass.

I am told they will not survive in the aquarium and are not harmful.

Here is a little info I looked up on these from http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search=Hydrozoa

Colonial hydrozoans have a base, a stalk, and at least one polyp, which during reproduction buds, producing a medusae. These medusae then mature and release gametes, which fuse to form zygotes, which grow into free-swimming planula larvae upon settling on a suitable substrate develop into a hydroid colony by asexual reproduction. There are about 3,000 known Hydrozoan species.

The colony

post-41617-1234670221_thumb.jpg

This is what they look like right before releasing from the stem

post-41617-1234670768_thumb.jpg

Jellyfish on the glass

post-41617-1234670866_thumb.jpg

size comparison to Nassarius snail

post-41617-1234671135_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
halloween82

Hitchhiker id?

I have been doing this for a very long time, and just got back into it. I have never seen anything like it!

I have recently imported some live rock from a guy in puerto rico. Im not a 100% sure where the rock is from originally?

Anyhew its a slug with a top shell shaped like a astrea but not as pointy or high. covered in purple coraline. the body which i just got a peek of is solid bright turquoise with super bright pink eyes and markings?

trying to get pics...

halloween82

Thanks for the links.

I have already checked those site tho. I googled the hell out of it and still stumped.

I guess it might be a abalone family? hard top shell soft nudi type body. very rarely exposes body. Nocturnal.

Its so colorful its crazy!