Top Shelf Aquatics

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

Found 2 hitchhikers in my tank last night after the lights went out.

i think this is a brittle star?

17069624566_1aceb09194_b.jpg

And this guy... Bristle worm?

16908021980_38a6661485_c.jpg

yes and yes, good hitchhikers
  • 1 month later...

Can someone tell me what kind of coral this is? It's thin, hard, green, and is encrusting a half circle disc from the pet store. It has a single polyp coming out only at night.....small black circular feather duster.

• 1 month later...
reef.state.of.mind

Hi everyone.... I am a newbie here. My husband had a reef tank years ago but after a divorce and moving... he parted ways with it. We have talked about setting one up for quite awhile. Life got in the way and so did our health. The doctors discovered that I had a brain tumor and had emergency brain surgery. Now that life has slowed down.... we started our tank! I have a few pictures of the tank set up and it has begun its cycle.... today 07/13/2015 is the 3rd day! We are so excited and we have done nothing but READ! I love this forum and group by the way. OK OK to the point. It is day 3 and we noticed something that wasn't there yesterday. I believe it is Foraminiferans. From what I have researched and discovered. Let me know if I am wrong. Like I said... I'm new and usually wrong. :huh:

There are 3 pictures of our new tank setup and starting the cycle. Excuse the mess... Our tank is mounted on a half way dividing our bedroom and bathroom.

The other picture is of the foraminiferans. I just use my iphone so pictures are not the best!

post-88594-0-82236900-1436823807_thumb.jpg

post-88594-0-35515700-1436823860_thumb.jpg

post-88594-0-86083300-1436823927_thumb.jpg

post-88594-0-04081400-1436824405_thumb.jpg

Your stand scares the bejeezus out of me. Looks awesome though!

I have an ID question...

I have never looked this closely at corals, until I got a DSLR and a decent macro lens. So of course...

But the big red/brown stick has been in my zoa frag since shortly after I got it. And there's some other segmented looking things. I have no idea what they are...

lPKdRpF.jpg

Should I be worried?

NOTE: The bubbles are from me having just changed the canister filter and it blew a bunch of bubbles around my tank. And likely why the zoas look pissed off.

reef.state.of.mind

hahahaha not as bad as some other setups that I have seen or lack of research.

Well, I live in earthquake country, so that just freaks me out. In fact, that's why I haven't set up a room divider style tank. Having a wall to attach earthquake straps to makes me feel better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an ID question...

I have never looked this closely at corals, until I got a DSLR and a decent macro lens. So of course...

But the big red/brown stick has been in my zoa frag since shortly after I got it. And there's some other segmented looking things. I have no idea what they are...

lPKdRpF.jpg

Should I be worried?

NOTE: The bubbles are from me having just changed the canister filter and it blew a bunch of bubbles around my tank. And likely why the zoas look pissed off.

OK, I'm really starting to wonder what those things are. They are growing and taking over that frag and are spreading.

HarryPotter

OK, I'm really starting to wonder what those things are. They are growing and taking over that frag and are spreading.

It looks like theres something growing with Algae covering it, right? The brown fluff is not part of the actual growth?

The brown fluff is what I'm worried about. The stick is gone, but the fluff is growing and irritating the zoas.

The closest I've been able to find is calothrix. And it's all over the tank. Hermits and snails haven't touched it so far. And I have a metric buttload of caulerpa in that tank, keeping nitrate and phosphate at undetectable levels.

Here's a pic I took today. You can see the tufts throughout the tank.

U1EuHLe.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Brachiopods: HARMLESS

Hard to find an ID on these, but they look like little clams (rounded edges sometimes rippled) imbedded in your rocks. They are bivalves and are on a hinge and look similar to clams, and mussels. They are filter feeders.

brachiopod.gif

I got a piece of LR from my LPS and there is what appears to be a Brachiopod but ive researched them and its not that. I don't know where else to look Ive contacted several people to identify this with no luck. 11921984_1013896978623349_915372360_n.jp11880074_1013883365291377_1786440185_n.j

Brachiopods: HARMLESS

Hard to find an ID on these, but they look like little clams (rounded edges sometimes rippled) imbedded in your rocks. They are bivalves and are on a hinge and look similar to clams, and mussels. They are filter feeders.brachiopod.gifI got a piece of LR from my LPS and there is what appears to be a Brachiopod but ive researched them and its not that. I don't know where else to look Ive contacted several people to identify this with no luck. 11921984_1013896978623349_915372360_n.jp11880074_1013883365291377_1786440185_n.j

does it have shell? Or skin, touch it.

he's very hard like a shell and it opens a little every so often

can you see a bottom shell? And what do you see in that crevice when he opens? There may be a few more questions depending on the answers.

I should also ask what side is he opening from?

can you see a bottom shell? And what do you see in that crevice when he opens? There may be a few more questions depending on the answers.

I should also ask what side is he opening from?

the yellow circle is him open... i cant see anything inside when he opens11930665_10204940623451544_510790183_n.j

11903359_10204940642572022_2101573343_n.

whoah, what, I did not expect that as the middle lol. I think I may need to do some deep researching because I never seen anything like that lol.

I can't help but notice the similarities between your animal and a few of the once living animals known as rudists, look up titanosarcolites and you'll see what I mean, only problem is rudists been dead since dinosaurs were walking around.

Does that thing have a stalk on the rock or it's not attached? ( if it's not attached something weirder than weird is living in your aquarium lol)

Understandable, I'll keep researching, maybe this thing is new to science.

Even cooler maybe this is a prehistoric monster, just kidding, but to be fair they did find the coelacanth living today.