Coral Vue Hydros

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

I really don’t have any idea what this is. It doesn’t look like a feather duster at all. It’s spines look sharp and are transparent/ rainbow colored in the right light. Has two tentacles that come out of the middle, and it also spins sometimes as can be seen in the video a little bit, but sometimes it does like a 360 really fast

what is it???

23 hours ago, HoffyZ said:

Hi folks,

I found a hitchhiker in my tank. I’m not sure what type of worm is that.is it harmless? Unfortunately I couldn’t upload a video, I hope this photo will help to ID it.

my bet is a cirratulids regarding this http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/live-rock/a-hitch-hikers-guide-to-the-reefs-worms.html 

next bet is a cirratulidae, regarding this http://eol.org/pages/129/overview 

B2AB745D-8443-45DB-A0EF-2E0158749495.jpeg

E3F2BCC5-4871-4C5E-ACDC-3AD2F3208227.jpeg

Your bet is correct. It’s a cirratulid of some sort. Harmless. Just to clarify, both your bets are correct. Cirratulidea is just the larger family. 

22 hours ago, JoeR said:

I really don’t have any idea what this is. It doesn’t look like a feather duster at all. It’s spines look sharp and are transparent/ rainbow colored in the right light. Has two tentacles that come out of the middle, and it also spins sometimes as can be seen in the video a little bit, but sometimes it does like a 360 really fast

what is it???

You have a type of spinoid. Also harmless.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I’ve been lurking this forum for some time now trying to learn as much as possible and finally pulled the trigger on setting my tank up 2 weeks ago. I noticed a few of these popping up and can’t seem to identify them. I looked through this thread and numerous random searches but still haven’t found a conclusive answer. Sorry if the pics aren’t the best but I hope they will work. Thanks!

8B1D97E2-2253-4B9F-BDE4-357DB73BC4D5.jpeg

B4C1003C-C260-4494-86A4-87DEEC1F15E8.jpeg

0988C32F-8B81-4F78-9619-45122DDCE74E.jpeg

On 2/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, RayWhisperer said:

Welcome to N-R. Tough to tell from the pics, but try looking up ball anemone.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:42 AM, KNelson said:

+1

Thanks so much for the responses. I did some research on ball anenomes and I think that’s exactly what they are. Much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

I have been trying to figure out if these guys are good/bad/indifferent (someone else's picture from page 17).  I have them in a rescue tank, and deciding if I should move them into my display tank...

they mostly come out of the sand, but I have seen them on the rocks too...  they move around and deflate themselves when aggrivated

Thanks!

imageproxy.php.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

no clue didn't see anything like it in the post. almost completely clear gelatinous blob, no movement when I poke it with my poking stick. only thing living in my tank are what came on my LR, a ruby mythrax crab, and 2 trochus snails.

question for reef 3.jpg

question for reef 1.jpg

14 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

We’re going to need a better pic than that. Is this uncured rock you have? 

I think it was a bacteria bloom after like 3 hours of looking I found a similar image on google images, thanks anyway, I just ended up removing it with my poking stick. 

Islandvib3s

Can I get some help with this thing. Newish tank about 3months running.idk what this bubbling cloud is.i purchased the live rock and I noticed it before but it was a tear drop and now its about the size of a penny with specks

20180326_110657.jpg

20180326_110652.jpg

RayWhisperer

Sorry, I’ve been slacking on the ID’s as of late.

They are skeleton shrimp. 

http://www.gulfspecimen.org/specimen/aquarium-food-and-supplies/skeleton-shrimp-caprella-acutifrons/

could also be acutifrons, as pictured in this link, or another common one is equilibra. These are very common in southern US waters. So it’s likely they hitchhiked in on some macros you ordered. I’m afraid species identification is going to be beyond most anyone on the forums. 

Cool hh, btw. They make for great feeders, too.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

what type of Stomatopoda is this, or is it? by the time i was finished taking my photos the lights came on and he swam away just like any mantis shrimp you may see. also a little side tip i would like to mention is if your tank is in a heavily used area like office or room install a blue light it acts the same as a very dim moon light. my live stock would always get stressed out when i was doing paper work through out the night, not anymore 🙂mantisthis.thumb.jpg.c12936159a9434f3089f0a695a412c49.jpg

the reason why i think this is not a amphipod is because i have never seen them dig in the sand....

7 hours ago, robmcc said:

what type of Stomatopoda is this, or is it? by the time i was finished taking my photos the lights came on and he swam away just like any mantis shrimp you may see. also a little side tip i would like to mention is if your tank is in a heavily used area like office or room install a blue light it acts the same as a very dim moon light. my live stock would always get stressed out when i was doing paper work through out the night, not anymore 🙂mantisthis.thumb.jpg.c12936159a9434f3089f0a695a412c49.jpg

the reason why i think this is not a amphipod is because i have never seen them dig in the sand....

Amphipod. I have tons just like that........some are huge and do sometimes dig in the sand to hide. When they stretch out they look more “shrimp” like. 

Please help , recently acquired some live rock and while doing a dry layout I noticed some black bugs running off them with the water , the amount of them is amazing and too scared to put this into my new tank. 

20180524_234152-1.jpg

1 hour ago, BrentSA said:

Please help , recently acquired some live rock and while doing a dry layout I noticed some black bugs running off them with the water , the amount of them is amazing and too scared to put this into my new tank. 

20180524_234152-1.jpg

Wow. Never seen that before. Where did the live rock come from?

1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Wow. Never seen that before. Where did the live rock come from?

I bought it from a guy on Gumtree... he had a plastic pond with live rock and pumps for circulation  . I am so scared he collected this rock in some random place and is now selling it for a quick buck and will say what ever I want to hear . Besides that I just found more things , one of which looked like something which was posted and said to be a blood sucker along with some tiny anemone. The one thing I touched and the hairs on it is irritating my finger to no extent , it is the two which is on the left and then what I am hoping is not a blood sucking critter, on the right .

20180525_130607-1.jpg

12 minutes ago, BrentSA said:

I bought it from a guy on Gumtree... he had a plastic pond with live rock and pumps for circulation  . I am so scared he collected this rock in some random place and is now selling it for a quick buck and will say what ever I want to hear . Besides that I just found more things , one of which looked like something which was posted and said to be a blood sucker along with some tiny anemone. The one thing I touched and the hairs on it is irritating my finger to no extent , it is the two which is on the left and then what I am hoping is not a blood sucking critter, on the right .

20180525_130607-1.jpg

Someone else may chime in, but that looks sketchy AF. I’m not even sure what those things are.

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Someone else may chime in, but that looks sketchy AF. I’m not even sure what those things are.

Please someone chime in and say its all good , this tank is beginning to feel like pure bad luck ! BTW... the "blood sucker" is not the first one and is much smaller than the others I found , some of which I took out of my cycling sump which has about 4 of these sketchy AF rocks sitting in it , just been using a toothpick as a skewer and collecting them as I see them and feeding them to the the other pain in my side... the anemones , which means sitting on a floor watching rocks just waiting for the slightest bit of movement .... lol tedious to say the least . And the rocks going into my main tank is rather big and won't fit into a pott to be boiled and will be impossible to skewer critters once water and sand is in .

16 hours ago, BrentSA said:

20180525_130607-1.jpg

Not sure about the spikey ball things, but the thing on the right is an isopod.  There are a lot of parasitic isopods but not all are.  If it can roll into a ball its generally safe.  You will want to do some searching on isopod identification.

6 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Not sure about the spikey ball things, but the thing on the right is an isopod.  There are a lot of parasitic isopods but not all are.  If it can roll into a ball its generally safe.  You will want to do some searching on isopod identification.

After going through the pics posted I saw something that looks exactly like this spikey ball thing , it actually not a ball but was flat and looks like a Chiton but with spikey annoying hair things on it , as for the isopod , they big,  largest was about 2cm , that's why I assumed it was not a isopod,  worste part is that these ones are not rolling into balls , the one on the pic was just dried up . Thanks for responses for real , think I need to somehow kill everything on these rocks before I use them , spent to much money on them to go to waste .

There are lots of treatment methods for killing the life off rocks.  Just make sure you research it well first because some methods take longer then others before being safe to toss in a tank with water.

Isopods can get pretty big.  There are deep sea ones that are multiple FEET in size.  In the common reef tank though they can get large as well compared to most bugs.  

Those spike things don't look like chitons to me? but its possible I guess.  I've read about em but never had one.