inTank Media Baskets

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

rumpypumpy

I was randomly fixing my coral placement so I decided to lift my GSP and looked at the base and saw this...

A worm of some type... can anyone help ID?

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all:

First time post, long time reader. I looked through all 17 pages of this thread and couldn't find anything that was similar to what I am trying to identify.

Here it is (sorry for the dirty glass):

what am I?

Again, what am I?

The red arrow shows the exact spot of the location of the before mentioned growth.

Also, is the red plant on the right just a type of seaweed?

Any ideas? Thanks for looking!

• 4 weeks later...
lakshwadeep

The red arrow shows the exact spot of the location of the before mentioned growth.

Also, is the red plant on the right just a type of seaweed?

Any ideas? Thanks for looking!

It looks like possibly some coral (retracted or maybe decaying - time will tell). Is it hard or soft? The red thing is a type of red macroalgae, which include many seaweeds. Where did the rock come from?

This came in as a hitchhiker on my live rock about eight months ago... any ideas? Bright green, and glows nicely under the actinics. Started as a single polyp and has grown slowly but nicely. Sorry for the junky pic.

28365282646_12b53554f9_b.jpghitchhiker by Phil Memmer, on Flickr

lakshwadeep

This came in as a hitchhiker on my live rock about eight months ago... any ideas? Bright green, and glows nicely under the actinics. Started as a single polyp and has grown slowly but nicely. Sorry for the junky pic.

Are the polyps soft or hard (i.e. having some type of skeleton)?

Are the polyps soft or hard (i.e. having some type of skeleton)?

Soft, as far as I can tell without reaching in and molesting them. If there is any firm skeleton, it is at the very base. For the longest time, there were just 1-2 polyps, and they did not extend like this... they were very tight to the rock, and almost looked like some type of zoa. But in the past couple of weeks they have really come out of their shell.

RayWhisperer

The polyp structure and feeders are very reminiscent of a tube coral. However, I would expect a visible skeleton at this far along in growth.

Didn't see this posted while perusing through the thread.

Acro eating spiders. Sorry crappy looking pic from my cellphone.

acro_eating_spiders.jpg

Those came in on some SPS from AquaSD during one of their live sale. One of them survived a Bayer dip for 15+ minutes. Originally had a video of them, but my phone crapped out on me and I've lost the video. :(

Read more about them here:

http://www.3reef.com/threads/sps-nightmare-pycnogonids.155311/

RayWhisperer

Interesting. Never seen acro eating spiders.

Sorry, Ebn. They sound like a rough pest to deal with. I have only 2 ideas, and don't know if either would be an option for you.

First, would obviously be interceptor. However, without quarantine, I don't know if I'd be willing to go that route.

The other idea I have is only my idea. Nothing proven, or documented, and obviously (since I've never dealt with these spiders) I have no idea if it would even work. Perhaps pipefish may eat them. Since they are nocturnal, and many species of pipes are primarily nocturnal. Just an idea.

Another idea, maybe acro crabs???? I know they'll defend their host from larger predators, like stars. I don't know if they would do the same with these little guys. I don't know if they are nocturnal, either.

• Like 1

Interesting. Never seen acro eating spiders.

Sorry, Ebn. They sound like a rough pest to deal with. I have only 2 ideas, and don't know if either would be an option for you.

First, would obviously be interceptor. However, without quarantine, I don't know if I'd be willing to go that route.

The other idea I have is only my idea. Nothing proven, or documented, and obviously (since I've never dealt with these spiders) I have no idea if it would even work. Perhaps pipefish may eat them. Since they are nocturnal, and many species of pipes are primarily nocturnal. Just an idea.

Another idea, maybe acro crabs???? I know they'll defend their host from larger predators, like stars. I don't know if they would do the same with these little guys. I don't know if they are nocturnal, either.

Didn't bother with keeping the sps. They were still being dipped and were being examined under 2.5x magnification when I saw these guys and how they can survive the dip. I ended up chucking all the sps ($200+ worth) that came in from the live sale. Also sent the pic to ASD and got a brush off from them. I've since sent my money elsewhere.

RayWhisperer

Ouch! $200 is a tough one to throw out. Good thing you caught it. I'm gonna have to start qting with a microscope, or something. You makin me nervous, son.

• 2 weeks later...

What is this? I do not see anything simlier on this thread, including last 17 pages.

One side looks like grass and the other looks flat. The current can push it around and I have not notice any movement.

Thanks!!

post-92078-0-28567000-1471208506_thumb.jpeg

post-92078-0-26840100-1471208516_thumb.jpeg

post-92078-0-98969400-1471208522_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

What are you wondering about in those pics? The snot looking thing, or is it something on the hermits I'm not seeing?

If it's the snot looking stuff, it's a sponge of some sort.

What are you wondering about in those pics? The snot looking thing, or is it something on the hermits I'm not seeing?

If it's the snot looking stuff, it's a sponge of some sort.

I'm wondering about the white/milky slime looking stuff.

Any thoughts on these bad boys. They are freaking me out! They are in a bad corner of my tank and i cant clean the glass very well so sorry about the bad picture. They look to have strings or mucous coming outta the tops. maybe a spaghetti worm or hair worm or a vermetid?

20161007_112906_zps5mqdxqot.jpg

This is after i nudged them with my poking stick:

20161007_121358_zpshf80uhr7.jpg

How worried should i be. They gave me the heebie-jeebies

RayWhisperer

I have no idea, but those are freaking cool. By your description, I was thinking vermetid snail. Buy your picture, I'm stumped. My guess is they are probably a filter feeder, or detrivore. So, I don't THINK you have much to worry about.

• Like 1

Looked through 17 pages and could not find anything that looked like this.

Can anyone help?

IMG_20160929_091905_zpsm0imgvwk.jpg
IMG_20160929_091821_zpslqcjbbor.jpg
IMG_20160929_091744_zpsdlg6isnn.jpg
IMG_20160929_091727_zpsateysqy6.jpg

Thats a bacterial bloom. Clear slime covering the rock? Cloudy looking? Not sure wheat the tubes are for scientifically, but I have the same looking tubes poking out. About 6 years ago when I started my first tank and cycled with fish, I had that stuff covering the artificial coral decorations. It went away after about a month and I didn't lose any fish.

I have the same thing going in my 15g on currently after adding rock from craigslist causing a cycle a few weeks ago and somehow I have that slime on rocks that have been stable in the tank for years.

Can anyone ID this? I believe it's a sponge but I haven't been able to find anything. it's about 2" long total, attached to the underside of live rock. Body appears to be made of a couple of long lines of tubes which form one large tube. I would not imagine that it's harmful but I'm more curious than anything.

Thanks!

5zWIAHH.jpg