inTank Media Baskets

Custom built all in one tank

disaster999

nope, no any experience in building tanks. just read up on how to make a custom tank and tried it myself. i just used regular GE silicone from homedepot. im going to try and make another one later with thinner glass. 1/4" is too thick

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nope, no any experience in building tanks. just read up on how to make a custom tank and tried it myself. i just used regular GE silicone from homedepot. im going to try and make another one later with thinner glass. 1/4" is too thick

Where did you get the glass? Did they cut it for you? Where did you get the black back wall?

glass was from local glass shop. black back wall is just a piece of acrylic painted black

Wow that is pretty cool. You can make a killer all in one. Make one with a built in refugium, plenum and a spot to grow mangrove shoots in. How does your wife feel about this? Mine would have most likey been seriously pissed off if all that stuff was in my family room. lol.

haha...im a college student, not married yet. if i had the space, i wouldnt want to work on the living room or dining table myself

haha...im a college student, not married yet. if i had the space, i wouldnt want to work on the living room or dining table myself

How is the algea control going? I would test the water that you are using, even though the source or equipment says RO, dont trust it unless you can test it. Use a bag of phosoguard and tested RO water and that hair algea is toast, clean up crew or not.

i should get my water tested...but right now, my friend gave me his seaclone skimmer and its pulling out some nasties. hopefully that would help

I just seen your link form your for sale page to hear, and checked it out. I just want to WOW! You did a great job, and the tank is awsome. Zoas look great. Good luck on controlling the algae.

thanks bobby. algae is under control, the sea hare is a beast and devouring everything he could eat. theres some patches here and there, but he'll plow through them no problem.

I was gonna say just give the seahare some time. I had one a while back and it decimated my huge hair algae problem, so much so that I had to return him so he wouldn't starve. Nice job on the tank BTW.

I will have new pics tonight. I bought an atinic bulb hoping I'll get some pretty cool looking atinic shots, but the bulb blew after 5 mins of use. Going to return it today and get a new one.

the sea hare pretty much ate most of the bryopsis except a few patches here and there...it seems like he couldnt find them for some reason. I'm going to keep it for a week or 2 just to see if he eventually find them. I'm afraid it would starve to death too.

theres still a patch of algae that he havent ate and probably dont know its even there. ill let him wonder around the tank for a couple more days and see if he finds it. im not sure if nori would help keep him in the tank. anyone want to chime in on that?

new additions to the tank

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

some atinic shots

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

still trying to figure out what settings is best for atinics that will do for now

Well this really sucks. My Randall's Shrimp Goby, just jumped out last night and dried up beside my tank. I was looking all over for him just to see him on the ground. :tears:

I had a cover for the tank, but i had it off for 3 weeks because it was collecting a lot of dust and I was tired of cleaning it after a while. He was fine for those 3 weeks without the cover. Also my tanks been evaporating quite a lot lately. I had to top off the tank twice a day and used up 2 gals in a little over a week. I dont have a ATO and I guess he wasnt feeling good with the water salinity swining so much.

SIGH

captianshellnutt
bored, no one is commenting on my tank..so ill post up a video

th_PulsingXenia.jpg<object

I am a big noob scrolling over the progress of your tank. Very impressive. I understand this was the first tank you built, have you had any previous experience with just owning and maintaining a marine tank?

nope, i have no prior experience with marine or reef tanks. i only kept goldfish. been reading up on it quite a lot, looked at how to build a tank and hoped it turned out ok. so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

new addition to the tank

DSC_0384.jpg

its been 12 hours since i had it set up but aside from making a lot of noise and microbubbles, its not doing anything. anyone got any idea?

Skimmer is working now, creating pretty good foam and skimmate, Heres the foam created

DSC_0005.jpg

a video of the skimmer

th_Skimmer.jpg

you can see some big bubbles coming out of the skimmer. if you have the fuge, that should take care of most microbubbles

Archived