Pod Your Reef

Custom built all in one tank

disaster999

i plucked as much of those "weeds" as i can, but i feel like as i dig deeper into the GPS, i might damage them. i should get some good tweezers to really clean it up. but it looks a lot better without them right now.

i might make this a monthly de-weeding thing

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

want to get my lone clown fish some company so i got another clown...upon to my discovery...the first clown i got MIGHT be a true perc because of the color...you be the judge

DSC_0267.jpg

this is the one i got today

DSC_0266.jpg

then i got a firefish too..cuz they are cool :D

DSC_0248.jpg

funky white balance shot

DSC_0261.jpg

i tried counting those spines on the fins...but its really hard to count them.

i guess the more obvious is the black bands that separate the white from the orange...its thicker.

the color on one of my clown fish does resemble the true percs. just hope my second one had a deeper orange.

i tried counting those spines on the fins...but its really hard to count them.

i guess the more obvious is the black bands that separate the white from the orange...its thicker.

the color on one of my clown fish does resemble the true percs. just hope my second one had a deeper orange.

The red/orange coloring really has nothing to do with identifying the difference. Coloring is based on the breeder. I.E. ORA tends to have more red clowns than say your local mom and pops breeder.

i was looking at that site too

The red/orange coloring really has nothing to do with identifying the difference. Coloring is based on the breeder. I.E. ORA tends to have more red clowns than say your local mom and pops breeder.

thats true, but i went to the same LFS to get my fish...im sure they got their fish fro the same supplier...maybe different patches from different breeders

I miss my FF :(

what happened?

my firefish manage to squeeze himself into some really small holes in the rocks...i was looking all over the tank with a flash light trying to find him. i thought he managed to get himself in the back...or jumped out somewhere

that sucks...sorry to hear. gonna get another one in the future?

so its been 2 months now, i havent really seen any sign of coralline algae growing...but im getting a lot of GREEN algae all over my tank, i have to clean my glass every day. when will i start seeing coralline algae?

• 2 weeks later...

i want to get a skimmer but dont have or want to spend 150 on a skimmer. (seriously..why the heell are they so dammn expensive when its basically acrylic tubes with a pump????) so i turn to air skimmers. how good of a skimmer are they compare to pump skimmers? they are small and slim and fits in my tank perfectly, but i want to know if they are any good.

NIce new additions, looks like everything is coming along fine. Corraline should show up soon. Are you dosing with anything? What are your calcium levels at?

ive been dosing magnesium to get rid of BRYOPSIS but i guess i was using the wrong one. got the reef one instead of kent tech m

ill get some new pictures since i havent updated in a while

Wow! You really inspired me to built my own tank one day...

I went the easy way and got a 24g nano cube a few weeks ago and added my CUC today.

really good looking tank!

• 3 weeks later...

first of all, Happy New Year everyone!

quick update: gone for 2 weeks, asked my friend who has experience with reef take care of my tank. then my roomate came back a week earlier than me so he just fed my fish and my friend stopped coming. came back to see bryopsis over took my GSP and some rock. hair algae all over the sand. lots of bubble algae, signs of coralline algae (YEAH!!!!), my hermits are HUGE moved around my coral. all my fish and coral survived. cheato wilted because i forgot to tell them to turn on the fuge light. some got sucked into my return pump clogging it. finally algae on glass. took a razor knife to scrape them off.

went to the LFS and bought RO water, a hair algae eating slug and emerald crab. ran outta salt so went to the local mega pet mart and got a bag of oceanic salt (just to try it out). changed 3 gallons. waiting for my new crap and slug to do its thing. ill get algae covered FTS when things settles a bit.

it might be too early to celebrate, but i think one of my clowns is taking interest in my frogspawn. he might host it. keep you posted

Thanks.

Got the FTS, excuse the algae, trying to have that under control. but you could see tiny specs of coralline algae. im excited :lol:

DSC_0263.jpg

heres the slug i got. if only i remember whats it called

DSC_0257.jpg

so i was talking to my friend that took cared of my tank for me when i was gone. and he told me that my CUC isnt enough and told me to add more. i do feel it wasnt enough cuz my tank was filled bryopsis, bubble, hair and green slime algae.

right now i have 4 astrea snail, 4 margarita snail, 4 nassarius snail, 3 scarlet hermit, 1 unknown hermit, 1 emerald crab, 1 hairy sea hare slug, plus a few hitchhiker snails thats reef safe.

green slime algae forms on the glass within 1 day of scrubbing it, # of hair algae did not decrease after i added the hair sea hare slug 2 days ago. didnt see a huge lose of bryopsis.

just want to see if i should add to my CUC and see if anyone of you have any suggestions

thanks

my thread got no love...no one replying. i guess ill bribe you with pictures

one of my 2 favorite zoos

DSC_0278.jpg

heres the second one

DSC_0279.jpg

clown finally hosting my frog spawn, excuse the dirty glass

DSC_0282.jpg

"sup, welcome to my crib"

To the OP,

Man, I am still getting over the fact that you actually built that thing. Did you have prior experience in making tanks or what? That is insane, you can build any All in One tank you want! Do you have to use special silcone to hold the glass together? Looks really professional.

Archived