Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom built all in one tank

disaster999

i always had surface skimming problems and no matter what i did, it still wouldnt skim the surface. today i decided to overhaul my tank. i know what the problem is but didnt fix till now because it involves taking my tank down and i didnt have the time. but exams are over and thanksgiving break is here so i decided to fix my tank. i have my rocks, sand and corals in 3 different buckets all with power heads/filter.

i was able to redesign my filter, rearranged the baffles a bit, and was going to test it...but my hand slipped while handling my tank and i dropped it. cracked the bottom glass. i couldnt do anything till tomorrow. going to head over to my friends place to check out what type of glass he has and if it would work for me.

ill keep you guys posted.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres what my room looks like...full of fish stuff and buckets

DSC_0188.jpg

glued the false wall back onto the tank...which is now bottomless. i had to smash the the glass to take it off.

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

tell me what you think about my baffle design. i HOPE this setup will have enough height difference between the display and filter so the surface water will actually follow down like a waterfall.

then my proud zoo.

DSC_0200.jpg

the GPS isnt opening, where as all the other corals is mostly opened. could it be the light im using? it doesnt like it?

they open and close every once in a while thats how they are. my feather duster let go its crown and didnt open untill about 2 weeks later which was just the other day. check out my thread it explains it there.

tank is going to be put back together today. im waiting for silicone to dry. there was a tiny leak that i patched up. the filter design works perfectly. im excited to see it in action.

ooops...that sucks may need to change your name to disaster1000!

Glad to see you are getting things worked out and put back together. Your original setup was looking sweet. I am sure you will get it back.

Good luck

haha, if only i could change my name...

well everything is back, still waiting for the water to clear, ill get a shot of the tank when the dust settles.

the hardest part (besides my bottom glass breaking) was trying to replicate my previous rock work. i was looking at picture and it just didnt work, so i rearrange the rock into another cave.

im starving right now, hopefully the water clears up when i come back

everything is back together. the dust settled

picture time!!!

nasty murky water

DSC_0206.jpg

finally cleared and new rock setup

DSC_0208.jpg

shot of the filter in action

DSC_0210.jpg

zoo popping out a polyp

DSC_0209.jpg

finally, what the heck is this?

DSC_0202.jpg

yikes, did a search and it does sure look like one. its sitting on the sand right now easy enough for me to scoop it out.

i hope it didnt multiply and invest my whole tank :scarry:

scooped the coral stinging thing outta my tank, and went to drain my account again....picked up this little guy

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

also a cleaner shrimp

DSC_0217.jpg

i found a small colony of zoos (probably 5 baby polyps) and ricordea for a good deal. they are still trying to get used to my tank so not fully opened yet. snap more pictures when they are

alright, they finally fully opened...so here are pictures. they arent the best picture, i really need a macro lens

orange zoas, with a polyp of a different kind

DSC_0231.jpg

heres some ric

DSC_0235.jpg

what are you looking at punk?

DSC_0233.jpg

FTS

DSC_0235-1.jpg

hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

went to boston for the break and my first time leaving a my salt water tank that long. while i was in boston, i bought a rock full of zoos. 20 hours later, it made it back home very much alive. when i first looked at it in the petshop, it was a nice ball of zoo. but when i looked at it closer at home, i realized it was attached to a mussel. the colony of zoos are just clumped up together forming a ball trailing from the mussel there are some pink looking zoo attached to the mussel, and the ones hanging on the mussel are green. i separated them forming 4 different colony of zoos through out the tank...

what it looked like before separation

DSC_0238.jpg

heres the mussel

DSC_0241.jpg

then went and got some glue and glued them to different rocks

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

one more thing, how the hell do you get rid of those green algae thing on my star polyp? what critter would eat that?

DSC_0247.jpg

Kudos for getting it back and running so quickly! Really love this setup especially the orange nozzel!

Nice pics....would be nicer if you put a line break between photos :P This post makes me dizzy :wacko:

EDIT: damn you be quick on the fix

one more thing, how the hell do you get rid of those green algae thing on my star polyp? what critter would eat that?

DSC_0247.jpg

That is not good, it looks like BRYOPSIS. Do a search, it is a very invasive and hard to control if left unchecked. Get rid of it soon before it spreads!

Archived