Cultivated Reef

Custom built all in one tank

disaster999

well my package didnt come today, so i went to get some lighting supply from AH Supply

DSC_0087.jpg

its a 50/50 combo light. 10,000k and i think 460nm

DSC_0089.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have to agree with you. i was going to paint it, but i put everything together just to see if everything fits, and the nozzle doesnt look too bad with the whole setup.

i think ill leave it for now =) be unique.

question: i was talking to someone and they said that over time, the salt water will turn my reflectors black. is that true? should i go get a piece of lexan (home depot thin acrylic bends and curves like a banana) for a cover?

Never heard of them turning black, but you will get salt splashes, etc, which will dull them. Lexan isn't a bad idea- for safety reasons as well (splashing water into endcaps, etc)

went and got some salt and sand from the LFS. didnt get the live rocks because it was $35 cheaper to buy on ebay. it should get here my thursday at the latest

heres a shot of it i took just now. the sand was added on saturday, and it didnt turn crystal clear till today

DSC_0105.jpg

on a sad note, i think theres a flaw in my surface skimmer design. surface layer of waterjust circulates around the top, where the water under the surface enters the skimmer, leaving this dusty film.

DSC_0102.jpg

what could i do?

hmm...thats not really an option. the output of the pump will keep the display area at a certain level so lowering the water level wouldnt do much.

i guess the way i designed the baffles in the filter area is flawed. i wasnt accounting this to happen. the only way, i think, that would solve the problem is to lower one of my baffles to lower the water level inside my filter, thus lowering the overall water level, but doing that meaning i need to take apart my whole tank to do so...

DSC_0102.jpg

what could i do?

Couldn't you just block off the lower portion of the filter intake, requiring it to pull more off of the surface instead of underneath the surface???

i tried that. what it does is raises my water level in the tank and doesnt skim much from the surface. i guess i should of made another intake under the one i have like all the other all in one systems out there

i guess when i make another one, iknow what not to do

just got my rocks today. got it on ebay. saved $35 if i went to buy it as LFS.

DSC_0120.jpg

did some basic aqua scape. and suggestions?

DSC_0122.jpg

just got my rocks today. got it on ebay. saved $35 if i went to buy it as LFS.

DSC_0120.jpg

did some basic aqua scape. and suggestions?

DSC_0122.jpg

I like your rock work.

I agree that I wouldn't change a thing with the scaping. It looks like it will give you plenty of room in the sand for frags until you move them to the rock, lots of swimming room and caves, and plenty of area for corals on the rock.

Just make sure that it's stable.

cool, beginners luck =), the rocks are pretty stable. now the long wait of cycling begins... hopefully these "cured" rock doesnt take too long to cure

it cleared! more brighter picture.

DSC_0123.jpg

light using is 6000k bulb. dont wanna burn up my 50/50 bulbs yet =) i added 3lb of live rubble too...not pictured...the shop said its fully cured. im not sure if the rocks i got off ebay is fully cured or not...how could i tell?

Not sure if your still getting the surface film. When I got that with my old nano cube, I added an extra Maxijet 900 with a spout on a U connector. That way I can hang it inside the back section and it pulled more water through the back section and took the surface film with it.

the film isnt as bad as before...i did change the mesh going into the filter to something with bigger holes, it seems to be taking care of the film pretty good.

theres still some particulates on the surface, but its 10 billion times better than better. i might try the pump trick and see if its better.

• 2 weeks later...

its been around 9 days since i got my rocks. ive been monitoring my ammonia levels and i dont see an increase or decrease in levels. since the day i got the rocks till now, my ammonia read is still between 0.25-0.5ppm. is this normal?

i do have 3lb of cured rubble, and im guessing 14 half cured rock. surely i should see an increase in ammonia correct?

second, how long should i keep my lights on? does it matter at this point?

well i went to my LFS with my water sample and they said everything checked out. im done with my cycle so i got some CUC. they werent as cheap as i thought it would. on reef scavenger snails were 90 cent each and hermits were around the same...shrimp were under 10 bucks.

my LFS sells snails 10 for $15, hermits 3 for $10, a cleaner shrimp for 30 bucks...i just got 10 snails and 3 hermit crabs. i bought a ball of cheatos too, and a hermit crab was trapped inside so i got that for free. ill wait till they are adjusted to the water and snap some pictures tonight

FTS

DSC_0126.jpg

if you look hard enough..you might find some snails and hermits floating around

Hermit crab...the only critter i could get clearly

DSC_0128.jpg

Archived