ReefCleaners.org

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Thanks for the heads up...honestly it never really crossed my mind either. I actually have excema on my hands that causes them to dry up and crack when it's dry out so I may look into mixing it up like that in the future. Although I've never had a reaction to the compounds in it, I could see how it could make someone break out for sure. You never know what they really put in this stuff :)

Glad to hear that my thread was helpful to you as your starting up your new BC29. Feel free to post away with questions in my thread and I'm sure we can all help you the best we can. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here including a lot of BC owners. Congrats on the starting of your new tank....it's always exciting :)

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm--the stuff I've used is hard enough to mix thoroughly by hand...I can't imagine being able to do it (at least not fast enough) with a spoon...

--Diane

That's true....it is pretty thick and needs really good mixing for it to combine correctly. I would think if someone had a reaction to it, they could always use some thick gloves and just wet the gloves :)

I just wanted to thank Tudd again for not only the frags, but the pieces of chaeto that he sent me as well. After adding it into the tank, I really have noticed a big difference in how clean the sand is looking now and also the reduction of the diatoms that had been on my Koralia pump since the first week it was in there. I just give the two pieces a good swish around in their little basket every other day and it seems to be happy as a clam growing under the halides. Thanks again.

You've definitely racked up some Koral Karma for sure :) I am planning on doing some fragging once the dust settles from the wedding, honeymoon, getting a new dog so I will be sharing the wealth with you all first. Should have some good stuff by then to share.

Not sure if anyone else uses Cyclop-Eeze but I know that some people have mixed feelings about it. All I know is that my freaking tank goes BONKERS over the stuff. I haven't put any in the tank in quite a while since I'm always worried about over feeding but last night I was a little bored and wanted to screw around with the tank. I use the powder kind and just mix it with a little tank water. I then turn off all of the pumps and use a small pipette to blow some on all of the corals.

The results for me are amazing honestly. The polyp extension on the birdsnest and the montis is really pretty amazing. The birdsnest just looks like a fur ball after about a minute of it being in the water. The zoas all basically start turning inside out and opening their mouths (the palys do at least) and the rics start feeding as well.

What is really a sight to see is my pod population. If I look close normally, I can always see some jetting around under and in the rocks. Once I put the Cyclop-eeze in there, it's a freaking free for all with them. HUGE amphipods come darting out and the others are right behind. I showed my fiance what I was looking at and she proceeded to sit there with me gazing at the site for about 2-3 minutes. Pretty funny really :)

Not sure if anyone else uses it but it's worth a shot in my opinion. I think that doing it every once in a while is healthy for the pod population and everyone in the tank looks really happy afterwards.

Hmmmm...............I have what I would call little pellets or crunchy little morsels :P. I think I will try grinding up some and doing as you suggested to see what happens. Thanx for the idea.

No problem man....give it a try and your tank will love you for it. I think I have the Cyclop-Eeze "dust" :) At least that's about the size of it.

Let me know how your corals and pods like it. I'm sure that awesome superman monti will LOVE it too.

I have been eye-balling the cyclo at the LFS but still have had plenty of other food. My Roti-feast is about to expire so I guess I will be picking up some of the "dust" now.

Getting close now.......got all the plans taken care of? Where is the honeymoon?

Yeah, the wedding is right around the corner now. We are doing the bachelor party this coming Wednesday, Thanksgiving on Thursday, rehearsal business on Friday and wedding of course on Saturday.

We are planning on leaving the following Tuesday for a week. We are flying out to San Francisco. We are going to spend a couple of days in the city, drive to Napa and hit up a couple of vineyards, and also drive down and stay a night in Monterrey. We will FOR SURE be going to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium since this has been a dream of mine to see for a while now. I can't wait to see the Great White Shark they have there :)

ClowningAround

Congratulations on the upcomming wedding, Have fun in San Francisco. I was only there for a week but had a blast. It is a great town. As for the aquarium, do they still have the great white? I thought I saw a show on discovery or animal planet that they released it cause it was not eating or eating too much orsomething like that. Anyways Im sure it will be an awesome experience have fun :)

Thanks for the well wishes. Yeah, they did release one of them earlier as it was getting a little too large but it has been replaced with another one. I just checked their site and it was there. Hopefully they don't release it in another week or so :) That would be my luck.

I will be packing both of my 2 gig memories cards and all the necessary camera goods. I will post up the pics definitely when I get back.

What a trip...thats the area I lived for the first 30 years of my life. I still have family in the bay area.

Went to school in SF and worked in the city as well. You guys are going to love the aquarium..its like no other!

Napa is sweet too, the colors should be pretty spectacular at this time of the year.

Are you renting a car and driving around?

Awesome....didn't realize that you lived in that area. We are really excited about the trip. We are planning on renting a car for about 4 days and driving around Napa and down to Monterrey/Carmel/Santa Cruz. One of my friends has a sweet GPS system and he just went out to San Fran about a month ago so he has all the nice waypoints and places all plugged in for us.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. All is well with the tank...now I just need to prep my brother again to take care of the tank. He did great last time so I know all will go well.

I will update things when I get back from the honeymoon!!!

Just a few hours left to RRRUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!! :P

Hope you have a fab wedding tomorrow and a spectacular honeymoon, even more so I hope your brother does his job!!

Enjoy the ceremony.....the honeymoon :wub: ....the whole shabang. Once in a lifetime experience!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just got back in town from the West Coast on Tuesday night and spent yesterday unpacking and all that fun stuff. Needless to say that the wedding went off perfectly and we had an incredible time. We can't wait to see the pictures from the wedding and reception so I will have to post at least one of those once we get them in our hands. The trip to San Fran was amazing as well. We spent 7 days out there. We stayed in the city the majority of the time and just rented a car to drive up to Napa/Sonoma and down to Carmel and Monterey where we stayed a night. We of course went to the aquarium and we have about 100 pics from that. I will for sure post those when I get the chance.

The tank is doing great and my brother did a great job. I made sure to label everything out for him especially with the Part A and B additives and just told him what all to keep an eye on. The pH has gotten a little low but other than that, the tank looks awesome!!!! I am really always amazed at how well our little reefs do without our daily tinkerings :) I only had him come over every two days to check top off, dose, and feed the fish some pellets. I will have to snag some pics of the tank and post them up since I've gotten some nice growth on the zoas, etc. while I was gone.

My wife ;) and I are driving up to N.C. today to get our mini aussie so it's going to be a busy day and coming weeks. The tank will NOT get neglected though and now that I'm back from all the events, I will have to catch up on everyone's threads....that might have to wait till I get back to work :haha:

Hey man. Thanks for stopping by the thread....thought no one cared that I was back for a second there :)

I have some pics of the pup and the trip that I should be posting up today or tomorrow so keep an eye out. I will have to take some pics of the tank tonight in between taking the dog out and having it nip all over me :)

Archived