Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

airman_verde04

I like what you've added to your tank Adam, I'm trying to play with my camera to see if I can set the manaul settings to get some good color out of my pictures.. not to mention I'm trying to figure out how to make a DIY ATO for the tank, we're heading on a little trip, dont want anything to happen while we're gone.. anyhoo..

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That fragging info you posted was helpful.

I am getting ready to take a small frag off of a previously beautiful Monti Digi that is going to someone else's tank to be rehabbed, and I was actually trying to decide whether I should position it with the branch planted upright, or to place it horizontally.

So thanks!

I like what you've added to your tank Adam, I'm trying to play with my camera to see if I can set the manaul settings to get some good color out of my pictures.. not to mention I'm trying to figure out how to make a DIY ATO for the tank, we're heading on a little trip, dont want anything to happen while we're gone.. anyhoo..

Thanks David. That's one of the hardest things to do is figure out how to accurately represent the colors you see in real life of your tank in your photos. Just takes a little playing around with white balance more than anything. It's taken me a little while to get my settings down but now my pictures are pretty much how they look in person....minus maybe some saturation.

Just hard to get the color balance right in camera when there are so many different light spectrums and ranges present with all our crazy lighting :)

That fragging info you posted was helpful.

I am getting ready to take a small frag off of a previously beautiful Monti Digi that is going to someone else's tank to be rehabbed, and I was actually trying to decide whether I should position it with the branch planted upright, or to place it horizontally.

So thanks!

Glad you thought it was useful as well. Henry always has all sorts of really good info. Glad that he posts it on here as I can always look back at it. I think he must have some secret Word document that he keeps all the links categorized :ninja:

Dive whats new in the ole Chucktown Reef these days.... dude i miss my BC so badd, think im having withdrawls... and after i keep looking at all the BC club tanks on here... :(:tears::grouphug:

im tempted to sell all the mod stuff for the JBJ and just keep the 2gal Tom ... i mean seriouslly dude... its driving me maddd

Glad you thought it was useful as well. Henry always has all sorts of really good info. Glad that he posts it on here as I can always look back at it. I think he must have some secret Word document that he keeps all the links categorized :ninja:

Most stuff in folder categories in my bookmarks. Do have to clean them up from time to time as they get muddled because I am not the best and selecting names that help me remember exactly what is in them though. Getting old need more and more reminders! old.gif

By the way, I really like your signature image... wants hook me up with one?

Man... seems like I can't keep up with this thread. I've been playing with CS3, I can try to hook you up with something though for a sig. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and let me know if there is something specific you want me to add. I'll run through the tread for pics.

EDIT: I got dibs on the blue slimer if you ever frag it!

Dive whats new in the ole Chucktown Reef these days.... dude i miss my BC so badd, think im having withdrawls... and after i keep looking at all the BC club tanks on here... :(:tears::grouphug:

im tempted to sell all the mod stuff for the JBJ and just keep the 2gal Tom ... i mean seriouslly dude... its driving me maddd

Hey Digg. Things are cruising right along in the Ol' Chucktown Reef. Not sure if you saw the new frags on the page or two before this. I am going to be getting a Tyree Undata frag from nUgZ in a week or two once it heals up some more along with maybe a milli and birdsnest frag.

I hear ya about the BCs.....they will always drag me back in. I think it I ever sold mine, which I don't plan to do, I would just have major regrets. I've just gotten really comfortable with it and I pretty much can diagnose any sound or thing that is out of whack. I should be able to, I've spent enough time hanging over the tank with my hands in it :)

Most stuff in folder categories in my bookmarks. Do have to clean them up from time to time as they get muddled because I am not the best and selecting names that help me remember exactly what is in them though. Getting old need more and more reminders! old.gif

I figured you must have had a butt load of bookmarks....I have always meant to do this and then just forget.

Man... seems like I can't keep up with this thread. I've been playing with CS3, I can try to hook you up with something though for a sig. Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and let me know if there is something specific you want me to add. I'll run through the tread for pics.

EDIT: I got dibs on the blue slimer if you ever frag it!

Awesome.....I will shoot you a PM in a bit.

I have you marked down for the blue slimer :)

So it was another fun day of cleaning on the reef yesterday afternoon. I have been keeping my eye on the Neomeris (the bright green cylindrical stuff) in my tank and more and more kept cropping up. It had gotten kinda to the point where the corals were secondary compared to how much and how bright it had become. Not really my cup of tea since the freaking algae was free :)

So, I broke out the tweezers and went to town for oh about two hours. Taking out some rocks, cleaning them free of it, replacing and moving on. The fun part is that you have to basically tweeze out each individual one...can't grab them all in one fell swoop. So two hours later and about 200-300 stalks later, we have the below shots of the tank.

I have left some patches here and there since I do like what it adds to the tank. Honestly, everything looks a little happier now that it is gone. In some areas it was restricting the flow to the digitata and others since it was outgrowing them.

On another note, I have had the ORA Tort, Green Slimer, and Blue Stag for a week now and all are starting to encrust over the super glue that I used and all are really nice and healthy looking. I couldn't be happier.

FTS

CRW_7391.jpg

Front looking downward

CRW_7414.jpg

Left Side

CRW_7413.jpg

Right Side

CRW_7392.jpg

I plan on taking some more shots this evening/afternoon so I can document the new frags growth.

airman_verde04

Hey Adam, I like your new signature thing there.. just sitting in front of my tank, waiting for the ATO to work for me.. haha, and waiting for the lights to turn on so i can go my water change. Hey Karen mention something about this Friday but haven't got a message from her, you got any DL on that GTG?

Glad you like the signature banner....Pickle was nice enough to put that together for me. I like the way it looks for sure.

What time were you thinking for tomorrow?

you got any DL on that GTG?

Huh?

airman_verde04

haha.. Karen said something about meeting up tomorrow, do you have any down lown (DL) on the get together (GTG) sorry..

That's what I thought you meant...just had to make sure. Just depends on the time tomorrow whether I can meet up with you guys.

airman_verde04
That's what I thought you meant...just had to make sure. Just depends on the time tomorrow whether I can meet up with you guys.

yeah.. I just haven't heard anything from her again about, just thought she might have mentioned it to you.. and it would be in the evening.. I just need to know by this afternoon so i can ask my boss to get off early tomorrow (7pm is early for me.. haha)

airman_verde04

well. I got short ended today, so I have to work tomorrow night.. but maybe before 2 on saturday.. or sunday..

Carolinapico

Hey the tank is looking good. Love the color in there. Those new SPS frags look great. Picked up a few new ORA pieces myself i'll have to post pics later.

Hey the tank is looking good. Love the color in there. Those new SPS frags look great. Picked up a few new ORA pieces myself i'll have to post pics later.

Thanks man....I have really been happy with the new frags. The ORA Tort is really starting to get more and more colorful by the day and the polyp extension has been great for a Tort. I am definitely going to get some more ORA corals in the future....from what I have read they are just incredibly hardy.

Hey Adam, where do you get most of your corals from (that is when you get new ones) online or LFS.

David, I mainly just stick to getting corals from the For Sale section on this website or Reef Central but some other really good vendors that I've dealt with or heard of people dealing with are Zoanuts, Drs. F&S LiveAquaria, Cherry Corals (Karen can vouch for them), and a couple others. What I usually do is just check here first and then cruise the sponsors sites to see what they have.

The only things that I've gotten from the LFS are my fish, snails, live rock, and green ricordea.

dude i want a sig like that... just looking at your latest and greatest... i think you need a big red RBA right on top..

Pickle was nice enough to put it together for me...the sig that is. I really like it as well :)

I have contemplated getting a RBTA about 4 months ago. I just came to the conclusion that I really couldn't risk it moving and completely whipping out my stonies or other corals. They are incredible though and something I love seeing in OTHER peoples' tanks ;)

Carolinapico
Thanks man....I have really been happy with the new frags. The ORA Tort is really starting to get more and more colorful by the day and the polyp extension has been great for a Tort. I am definitely going to get some more ORA corals in the future....from what I have read they are just incredibly hardy.

Hardy and also very established already. I can't count the number of times i've recieved or seen ORA frags that have totally encrusted the frag plug already.

David, I mainly just stick to getting corals from the For Sale section on this website or Reef Central but some other really good vendors that I've dealt with or heard of people dealing with are Zoanuts, Drs. F&S LiveAquaria, Cherry Corals (Karen can vouch for them), and a couple others. What I usually do is just check here first and then cruise the sponsors sites to see what they have.

I can also vouch for Cherry Corals, my order went smooth nice stuff too.

airman_verde04

hey man, swing by my page.. I moved a rock to make it coral ready..I'm trying to get some good viewing surface for some coral here in the near future.. still waiting on my calcium level to come up, I'm going to start using seachem reef salt next week, tell me what you think.. anyhoo..

I actually got a question.. whats that green grass looking stuff you got in your tank.. is it star polyps? I think i want something like that to start off.. and maybe some of those hard coral on somewhere in there also.. do you know of any low low light corals? I have this little cave groove inside of one of my rocks, and my clowns seem to like going in and out of it, and hanging out in there together, I was thinking of maybe putting something soft in there for them to lay on.. so they can host it or whatever.. haha.. I dont know if I can do that or now.. anyways.. well, I'm off to make some breakfast. I'm getting off early tonight praise the lord.. haha.. its nice to have somewhat of the Saturday night off.. 7pm instead of 11pm

David,

I checked out your page put couldn't really tell what all you changed.....looks like you tilted the main base rock toward the front which I think looks great. You have plenty of room for corals.

The grass like green coral is GSP. If you want some, I would be more than happy to cut you a good size section of it and you can just glue it to your rock. I would do perfectly in your tank.

As far as other low light corals, pretty much any softies, zoas, palys, etc. will work. It's kind of just what you like. Maybe you could put some ricordea on the bottom of the tank, a piece of GSP on the left rock, and then some various zoas and maybe a frogspawn on the top. I think that would be really cool.

airman_verde04

Hey Adam,

yeah, I'd have to come and see your tank, but I might take you up on that offer! it looks really cool.. I tried my hand at fraging this weekend.. I dont know if it went well or not.. my shroom detached himself and doesn't want to grab back onto the rock.. then there was this really ugly colored and not very strong xeina.. I tried to glue him, dont think it did so well.. glued him again.. I will know after today or so if it made it.. I figured they are a penny a dozen (I have so much of it already a dime would be to much hehe) in my tank, I would give it a shot. I'm going to pick up one of those soap dishes today so they can be near the top of the tank and not as bothered by noisey fish and shrimps..

hey, is there any cool places to snorkel around here? we have rock beaded rivers back home, so we get Crystal clear waters. but didn't know if there is anything cool to swim around (and not get killed from the current) here in chuck town without having to don scuba gear..

You and Karen are more than welcome to come by our condo once the holiday weekend has come and gone. We just ended up getting some new furniture (wish I could have gotten coral instead :lol: ) but you know how that goes. Who really needs nice things to sit on when you can just kneel and stare at the tank instead.

Fragging things can always be kind of a tough thing until you get the hang of it. I would think that the mushroom would make it though since they are pretty tough to kill. I have had some in the past that I put a rock over top of and they eventually made their way around the rock and back out into a place where they could get some light. Crazy creatures.

On another note, my frags that are almost two weeks old now are all starting to encrust the base more and more and the ORA Tort is starting to get some greenish hues to its "skin." Pretty fascinating to see.

I have also noticed that my levels have really been spot on lately now that I have been dosing Two Little Fishies Two Part again. Instead of dosing every other day like before, I have been dosing just half the amount every morning. It's become part of my routine and it's not too tough to dump a couple mL of fluid in the tank every morning. The corals have really seemed to like it as well.

For some reason, my ionic balance has come back as well. I am now dosing 3mL of Part A & B instead of three times the amount of Ca than the Alk. Who knows the reason but I'm not complaining.

I am going to try and grab some pictures this afternoon....just don't want to bore people with the same tank shots over and over again though :)

Archived