Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

- Chaetomorpha, or Chaeto, is in fact the macro algae that is most commonly used in refugiums. I'm sure that Karen could hook you up with a nice little ball. All you need is a small ball to get started and it will just grow in size. There are lots of good articles out there about it and its use.

- Neomeris are all those little oblong green things growing on the rock. They are nice and colorful but they are quickly becoming the bane of my existence :) It's not too bad in this small tank since they are pretty easy to pluck off with tweezers, it's just that they keep coming back....and in larger numbers it seems. Takes them a while to grow big enough to be a nuisance but they are just an eyesore to me.

- Haha....it's the curse of this hobby. Whenever you have your tank just at the right stage, you see something that catches your eye and the wheels start turning. Ultimately, this is the setup that I will probably go with. I am going to start planning this now in the thoughts that I will probably set it up sometime over the next 6-8 months....long process starting over.

- ADA 60-P : 17 gallon rimless that is 24" x 12 x 14

- All base rock from Marco Rocks seeded with a little live rock (that is free of nuisance crap)

-Using the light I have now

-SPS off course :)

This is down the line though. I am still really happy with my BC especially since it has all of the nice chambers and everything else. Not going to rule the Solana out either, just really like the look and appeal of the ADA rimless tanks.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04
- ADA 60-P : 17 gallon rimless that is 24" x 12 x 14

- All base rock from Marco Rocks seeded with a little live rock (that is free of nuisance crap)

-Using the light I have now

-SPS off course :)

I really like that tank! this is the one I'm thinking of, I kind of like the look of tanks that aren't completely square on all three sides.. I like the sides to be the same and the hight to be a little shorter to give it a cool shallow look.. http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=46 there are two of them, 24x24x12, or 24x24x16, it all depends on where I live when all this happens, till then, its just going to be my 10g.

My wife is just like.. David... MORE FISH TANK STUFF!! haha... I really like making my own things.. so If I could find a place to get thinker glass for a bigger rimless, I'd might try making one.. haha..

Very cool....I like the 20 tall that they have on there. I"m sure I won't be changing tanks any time really soon. Just living in a dream world :)

airman_verde04
Just living in a dream world :)

me too my friend, me too..

hey, you wouldn't happen to have any old pictures of your 50g tank you use to have? I was just curious. well I'm off to work.

Will have to grab some this evening. Got tied up with things last night and didn't get a free chance to break out the camera.

Just a little picture update since it's been a little while without some eye candy.

Start off with a couple full tank shots. You can get a good idea of the growth that I've gotten with the Tort in the upper left side of the tank. It is slowly getting its color back after I believe I gave it a nice sun burn -_-

CRW_7652.jpg

Leftside

CRW_7656.jpg

Rigthside

CRW_7657.jpg

Green Slimer (some growth tips finally popping up)

CRW_7638.jpg

And to wrap up some Daylight top-down shots...

Oregon Tort (hope it gets its nice blue body back....nice purple tips though)

CRW_7650.jpg

CRW_7648.jpg

CRW_7647.jpg

Enjoy :)

Sweet. I especially like the top down shots. :)

Thanks Travis. I think top down shots are my favorites as well. Really shows off the true colors and size of the corals. Some day I want to get/make a top down box for my DSLR. I really like to turn off the pumps, move the light out of the way and just stare at the tank from above. I can definitely see the appeal of zero edge tanks.

airman_verde04

very nice Adam, your tank has such a defined look to it! its like a dark undersea thing... HAHA.. ok, I couldn't find a good word to put after undersea. anyhoo.. looking good.

Adam,

Great new shots....your SPS is looking good!! By the way, you were right about my coral being to close to the top of my tank....it started to lose its color so i moved it down and it is rebounding nicely....since i thought it was SPS when i first got it i thought it would be okay but it turned out to be turbinaria and it was getting too much light....i have a lot of learning to do with this new light LOL....how were your SPSs with the sunpod while you had it??

Hey Jason. Glad you were able to ID the turbinaria and move it lower once it started to bleach. Better to catch things early and move accordingly.

As far as my SPS when I had the Sunpod. Things never really seemed to bleach for me with the Sunpod as compared to with the T5s. I know that a lot of people experience some bleaching with T5s when they first get them since they can really put out some PAR (aka usable light).

Are there any particular SPS you are wondering about with the Sunpod? I could give you suggestions on what worked for me with that fixture and bulb combo.

airman_verde04

Hey Adam, just wanted to say hello!! did you ever get anywhere with your idea about hanging your lights? hope all is well,

Hey David. No, never really got anything cooking with a light stand. I know what I would like to do but just haven't had the free time. Spent all yesterday and this morning monkeying around waiting for some hot water heater and HVAC people to come and clear up some issues we were having with our place. So glad we're renting and not footing the bills for the repairs. Talk about $500 down the drain just to remove a clog in a pipe :blink:

Is that the stuff you use for refugiums? I wouldn't mind having some of thats stuff..

oh and Adam, is Neomeris thats green stuff that looks like peas growing all over your tank?

oh, and whenever you start a new tank? new lights that would fit perfectly over a Solana that you want next time you get another tank? hmm... I think your secretly setting yourself up for something bigger and new?? hahaha!!!!!

Sorry David - just read your post. I have a ball of chaeto ready for you. Just shoot me a PM and let me know when you want to come by.

Adam - I'd like to talk with you regarding your lights and find out the pros cons as you see it. Got two clams coming tomorrow and then I'll update my thread with pics. I'm slowly coming back!

Karen - Here are the following pros and cons that I have found with the fixture that I am using and with T5s overall.

Aquatinics TX5 Fixture

Pros

• Solid reinforced construction
  • Fan is super quiet
  • Runs cool to the touch so no added heater and need for external fan
  • 95% reflective individual reflectors
  • Great customer service with Aquatinics

Cons

• Overhand of an inch on both sides but I knew this already when I got it :)
  • Can't think of anything else

T5s in General

Pros

• Pretty much limitless bulb configurations and spectrums. If you want a certain look, you can easily achieve it
  • Since MH bulbs deliver a single point light source, there tend to be more shadow areas in the tank. T5 produces a more even light output thus more coral tissue is illuminated.
  • This is up in the air but T5s can easily put out the PAR of MH bulbs if not more.
  • T5s run cool
  • Bulbs last longer
  • Can get the look of actinics and growth of MH with just one fixture

Cons

• Startup cost tends to be more expensive. Cost savings in wattage and bulb replacement makes up for cost though.
  • Pretty easy to bleach out corals that were once up top under MH. This is just an acclimation thing but people don't realize how strong T5s are.
  • No shimmer.....but I don't really miss it anymore since the color is twice as nice.

I was looking at the tank yesterday, oh no, and decided to move the Tort down a little lower. Since I didn't really have a place for it, I spent the next hour redoing the rock work. Always so much fun. I ended up ditching a lot of small pieces or rock, moving things around a little bit with the stonies, and it looks 1000 times cleaner now. No longer is the sand bed littered with rocks, scraps, dead snail shells, frags, etc. Everything looked pretty happy this morning polyp extension wise so we'll see what it looks like this afternoon. I will grab some pictures then.

Is it just me, or is it impossible to just let the tank be for 2-3 weeks straight? I was doing so good and just about made it a month without moving anything and BAM......an hour of rearranging :P

airman_verde04

I agree! and I only have two little T5 bulbs!! what are you going to do with those spare little rocks you got!! ya know, I know a great local pico tank maker whos just starting who could help you out in building one! wont even have to buy new rock for a new pico! hahaha... see, ya how have an excuse to start a small tank there Adam! dont want LR to go to waste!!

Haha.....definitely don't need another small tank to complicate life even more :) The rocks are currently chilling outside in the sun and will be used for attaching frags, etc in the future. You can never have too many small rocks for fragging or attaching purposes.

Are the lights on your tank really T5s? Just curious since I couldn't remember what your fixture was.

I agree! and I only have two little T5 bulbs!! what are you going to do with those spare little rocks you got!! ya know, I know a great local pico tank maker whos just starting who could help you out in building one! wont even have to buy new rock for a new pico! hahaha... see, ya how have an excuse to start a small tank there Adam! dont want LR to go to waste!!

Adam,

Don't listen to David. Just give me the tort and then you don't have to move anything and can keep the rock..... :lol:

airman_verde04
Haha.....definitely don't need another small tank to complicate life even more :) The rocks are currently chilling outside in the sun and will be used for attaching frags, etc in the future. You can never have too many small rocks for fragging or attaching purposes.

Are the lights on your tank really T5s? Just curious since I couldn't remember what your fixture was.

They sure are! the only thing about it, is that I can only find T5s in the 18in size that my light uses in two colors, 10k, 460 actinic.

Adam,

Don't listen to David. Just give me the tort and then you don't have to move anything and can keep the rock..... :lol:

awwwww... ok... :(

Haha....actually the Tort will probably be of a good enough size to frag in about a month or so. Your name is on the first piece :).

They sure are! the only thing about it, is that I can only find T5s in the 18in size that my light uses in two colors, 10k, 460 actinic.

Yeah, you really only get all of the various color options once you bump up to the 24 inch bulbs. That's the one downside that people are having with the Nove Extreme fixtures that Current came out with....they only have their own proprietary bulbs and only a couple options. I'm sure the market will eventually figure out that people want shorter high quality T5s.

Check out this page for all of the options for 24" T5s...just a couple choices and color spectrums :eek:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/i...php?cPath=28_39 and these are just the brands.

Here are some new pictures after shifting things around a little bit.

From this (lots of clutter in the front)

CRW_7652.jpg

To this

CRW_7679.jpg

CRW_7683.jpg

CRW_7680.jpg

Lots of growth tips on the slimer...finally

CRW_7685.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Boris. You're the first one to post in my thread in a quite a while :)

I have just been so slam packed here this first quarter at work that I haven't had the time to horse around online.

Hope to be more active on here soon.

Archived