Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Karen and David. I tried my best to celebrate it as best as possible. We went out to the Battery game (local soccer game) with some friends the night before so that was more of a celebration. $2 pints were a flowin' :happydance:

It looks like Mr. FedEx decided to drive a little faster so I'm getting my goodies in the mail today :) Hot dog....nice belated birthday gift.

Now for some pictures. Everyone always commented on how much they like the Neomeris in my tank and I have TONS of it now. You can see in the full tank shot how much has come back this time around. I like how it adds such a splash of green to the tank but I'm afraid I am going to have to thin it back in some areas....I just don't want it to get too out of hand. It is completely harmless but I don't want it to outweigh the focus on the corals.

Full Tank Shots

CRW_7257.jpg

CRW_7263.jpg

CRW_7262.jpg

CRW_7261.jpg

And my favorite of this quick 2-3 minute photo session

CRW_7260.jpg

The neomeris adds amazing color to the tank. I have never seen a tank with so many different areas of it. Did it all start from one area and spread out or did the each rock have it on it when purchased?

When I got the rock, there wasn't any on any part of the rock. About 4-5 months ago, if you remember, I had a little patch of it on the rock that is in the middle of the tank but that was the only spot. It came and went and then I went a couple months without any in there. Lately, it has been coming out of the woodwork :)

I really do like the color and it is crazy where it is popping up now. Not sure how it reproduces if it does at all.

Hey Adam,

When you thin it out, does it kill it or can it be shared? If so, hook me up!

When I mean thin it out, I mean that I basically have to get tweezers and pull them off the rock at the base. It ends up leaving a little bit behind and that's probably why it comes back eventually.

Almost looks from the FTS he has a small rock he could give you without having to cut the neomeris.

I agree, I have a couple of loose pieces laying around that I can give you Karen.

Great looking tank, guess I need to scrape some coralline off my glass after seeing yours.

Thanks for stopping by the thread and commenting. I usually try and mag float the tank at least once a day to get any film. Every two weeks, the razor blade, glass, and coralline have words....that is usually a 30 minute ordeal :)

Great new pics man and Happy belated Birthday! :flower:

I'm really curious about a couple of things. What's your experience been like with the new skimmer? I was thinking of getting one, but went ahead with a mod instead.

Also, I'm curious about how large (length wise) is the MH portion of your SunPod fixture. I'm thinking of getting one because it comes with adjustable leg frames and if the Halide is small enough to fit over my 13"L tank, I might get it. Just love how it makes your tank look and I need a lighting upgrade as well. I also understand that you switched the bulb to 14K, right?

Thanks Boris for the compliments.

As far as the skimmer, I have been overall very happy with the Tunze 9002. I set it up, adjusted it a little over the first two weeks, and haven't touched it since. The only downside of this skimmer is that the water level has to be really consistent for it to work really well. I have looked at the Deltec nano skimmer before and the water level can vary and it can still work. The Tunze consistently pulls out some nice skimmate which is all that matters to me. I just like that I don't have to fiddle with it like I have had to do with other skimmers before.

I will have to measure this for you, but I believe the Sunpod comes out to be about 20inches wide. Like you said, what is nice is that you can adjust the legs in and out to accomodate a pretty large range of tank sizes.

I did switch to a Phoenix 14k and would trade it back. Great bulb with great color rendition.

I just ordered (should get it today) a Radium 150 watt 20k bulb to put in the Sunpod. I have been reading great things about them, not as blue as most 20k's but with greater PAR. I will let you know how I like it compared to the Phoenix 14k.

Thanks Boris for the compliments.

As far as the skimmer, I have been overall very happy with the Tunze 9002. I set it up, adjusted it a little over the first two weeks, and haven't touched it since. The only downside of this skimmer is that the water level has to be really consistent for it to work really well. I have looked at the Deltec nano skimmer before and the water level can vary and it can still work. The Tunze consistently pulls out some nice skimmate which is all that matters to me. I just like that I don't have to fiddle with it like I have had to do with other skimmers before.

I will have to measure this for you, but I believe the Sunpod comes out to be about 20inches wide. Like you said, what is nice is that you can adjust the legs in and out to accomodate a pretty large range of tank sizes.

I did switch to a Phoenix 14k and would trade it back. Great bulb with great color rendition.

Oh, I miscommunicated on the dimentions thing. I knew that it was overall 20 inches long, but I was wondering about the dimentions of the portion where the actual bulb sits, the "window". I figure as long as that fits inside the 13x13 top area, it will be ok.

Right now I have a 20" Sun Pod PC fixture with a busted fan and the pc bulbs are so long that they protrude outside my tank and spill out useful light. I'm not keen on leaving it operational for a month without my supervision.

Thanks for your help.

I just ordered (should get it today) a Radium 150 watt 20k bulb to put in the Sunpod. I have been reading great things about them, not as blue as most 20k's but with greater PAR. I will let you know how I like it compared to the Phoenix 14k.

Awesome Henry...I have read nothing but great things as well. Look forward to seeing your pictures once you get it. Did you get it from Marine Depot?

Oh, I miscommunicated on the dimentions thing. I knew that it was overall 20 inches long, but I was wondering about the dimentions of the portion where the actual bulb sits, the "window". I figure as long as that fits inside the 13x13 top area, it will be ok.

Right now I have a 20" Sun Pod PC fixture with a busted fan and the pc bulbs are so long that they protrude outside my tank and spill out useful light. I'm not keen on leaving it operational for a month without my supervision.

Thanks for your help.

Gotcha Boris. I am at home for lunch right now and can measure it. The glass shield is 9in X 6in. on mine. Should work perfect for you :)

Gotcha Boris. I am at home for lunch right now and can measure it. The glass shield is 9in X 6in. on mine. Should work perfect for you :)

Awesome, You're the best! fingerscrossed

Na, have a friend at the LFS that needed some things for his tank and was placing an order with his distributor so he put in for the Radium for me too.

Awesome.

Question for you guys, I have been trying to hook my Phosban reactor back up for about a freaking hour now and I'm starting to get pissed. I can't get the stinking thing to stop leaking from the top seal. I tried wrapping it in teflon tape to no avail no matter how much I put on it. I tried screwing it on there multiple time and it still leaks.

Any ideas what I can try? I'm getting ready to throw it to the freaking dog to use as a chew toy :angry:

Of course all when I'm excited about finally getting to use it again it leaks. I would silicone it shut but I need to open it to change the phosphate remover and carbon monthly.

Awesome.

Question for you guys, I have been trying to hook my Phosban reactor back up for about a freaking hour now and I'm starting to get pissed. I can't get the stinking thing to stop leaking from the top seal. I tried wrapping it in teflon tape to no avail no matter how much I put on it. I tried screwing it on there multiple time and it still leaks.

Any ideas what I can try? I'm getting ready to throw it to the freaking dog to use as a chew toy :angry:

Of course all when I'm excited about finally getting to use it again it leaks. I would silicone it shut but I need to open it to change the phosphate remover and carbon monthly.

Maybe more Teflon tape + silicone lubricant. But maybe the thing is warped. Did you have it for a while? And it's not cracked?

I might try that. It's not cracked or anything or doesn't look warped...never leaked before. I see that they offer a o-ring replacement online but I JUST placed and got my order today from Drs. F&S. I don't want to order a $1.49 part and wait for it to come in. I might call around my LFS to see if they have this...doubtful that they do though.

Archived