Top Shelf Aquatics

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

wow dude... that Phonoix makes a world of difference... man you got alot new stufff.. i love those gorilla nipple zoas.. i used to have some.. im sure you remember.. that blue/green morph ric is awesome... keep up the excellent work bro

Thanks Digg...the Phoenix has definitely made a lot of difference in the overall health of my coral and it hasn't even been 4 days since it's been running on there. Everything just looks that much more healthy, colorful, and full. Like I said, once you have yours back up and running some frags will be heading your way.

Man, your pictures are so crisps, do you use a black light or something to bring out some of those colors? anyways, I thinking about getting a koralia nano pump before my tank finishes cycling, what do you think?

Thanks. I don't use a black light...now that would be really trippy :wacko: It is just the color of the metal halide bulb that brings out the vibrant colors.

I think the Koralia Nano pumps are great from what I've read. I am going to head over to your thread now and comment on things.

Just to wrap up, here are some top down shots of the clam from PodRod. Easily my favorite clam.

CRW_7141.jpg

CRW_7140.jpg

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elite Twit
Easily my favorite clam.

I think it's my favorite clam and I don't even own it. That's the color I am looking to get though when I finally feel the tank is ready for one.

Thanks Elite. I really really like the color of it as well. I even had my wife in awe of it when I showed her what it looked like with the pumps turned off looking down into the tank. I can see why people like Zero Edge tanks for their ease of viewing from above. Corals just take on a completely different look from above.

airman_verde04
Thanks Elite. I can see why people like Zero Edge tanks for their ease of viewing from above.

I agree from what I've seen so far! I want to keep the glass top off my tank, but I'm worried about having any jumpers when I get some fish. I was showing my wife a picture of podrods tank, and how those tanks have the mount that suspense the lights above the tank. She likes it and we are going to maybe look into finding some way to raise the level of the light about as high as the HOB filter. she said as long as its not ghetto I can do it.

What a bunch of sweet pic, Adam! Those colors are fantastic!

That's so cute how the clowns hang out under that monti cap. :D

I agree with everyone--gorgeous clam. Seems to me I've read that the tiny ones are harder to keep--need different food or something? (I've never really paid attention as I've never foreseen a clam in my future!) Anyway, best of luck with it!

Oh, and--cooool rics!

--Diane

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my thread Diane. I always appreciate your comments.

I find that the clowns seem to hang out more and more under the lip of the monti cap the larger that it gets. It is really cool to see how they go under there. Kind of like they are trying to get some shade B)

I have read the same thing about clams that are smaller than 3 inches...which this one is close to. The current thought is that when they are smaller they can't solely survive off of light alone and need some sort of supplementation. I currently feed Prime Reef flake for the fish and two times a week I mix in some PhytoPlan (phytoplankton) as well as Cyclop-Eeze which no one in the tank seems to complain about :)

Carolinapico

Awesome! I've been keeping track of this thread for a while but never posted. Tank and coral look awesome, clam especially....always wanted a clam.

I love the purple polyp monti, never seen one like that before.

Thanks Matt. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting on my tank. It has really been healthy lately and I think it is partly due to me changing the bulb to the Pheonix 14k. I have already noticed some more growth over the last week than I have in the past.

You have an incredible tank as well.

Almost 1 year!!! Can't believe. Unfortunately I am up in DC and can't give the fish and corals an extra feeding for it ;) will have to have my wife do that.

Tank is looking great... that clam rocks!

What is your secret to the clean sand bed? Is it all in your flow?

Tank is looking great... that clam rocks!

What is your secret to the clean sand bed? Is it all in your flow?

Thanks for checking out the tank Pickle. I love the clam as well... it is one of my favorites it there.

Not sure what the key to the sandbed is other than the flow. I have really been able to keep it clean and I agree it it due to the flow.

By the way, I really like your signature image... wants hook me up with one?

Nick's Reef

Your thank looks very good! I love that clam, my lfs had a gold teardrop maxia last time I went there and it was gourgeous. The only thing that held me back was the fact I have power compacts.

airman_verde04
Almost 1 year!!! Can't believe. Unfortunately I am up in DC and can't give the fish and corals an extra feeding for it ;) will have to have my wife do that.

DC, nice! I use to live in VA, so I had my fair share of DC, I actually haven't been in a long time though. anyhoo, so I've been reading mixed reviews about these skimmer things,, do you think thats something I'd benefit from in a tank my size. what do they even do anyways? If they help my algae go away, I'm in!

Elite Twit

omgomgomgomgomgomg:naughtydance::naughtydance:omgomgomgomgomgomg

Congratulations!

EDIT: "THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

Well that's no fun......

Your thank looks very good! I love that clam, my lfs had a gold teardrop maxia last time I went there and it was gourgeous. The only thing that held me back was the fact I have power compacts.

Thanks Nick. I understand how it is to have a tank with just PCs of T5 and oggle all the corals. That's one of the reason's why I switched over to MH.

DC, nice! I use to live in VA, so I had my fair share of DC, I actually haven't been in a long time though. anyhoo, so I've been reading mixed reviews about these skimmer things,, do you think thats something I'd benefit from in a tank my size. what do they even do anyways? If they help my algae go away, I'm in!

Hmmm...kinda up to you with a skimmer on your size tank. I would say at this point no just because your tank is still probably going through mini cycles. The best thing to do with your size tank is just to keep up on water changes when you start doing them. This will reduce a large amount of nutrients that the skimmer would remove.

Keeping nutrients low is always somewhat of a struggle but a good thing.

omgomgomgomgomgomg:naughtydance::naughtydance:omgomgomgomgomgomg

Congratulations!

Thanks for the congrats. Bummer on not being able to post the emoticons :)

airman_verde04
Hmmm...kinda up to you with a skimmer on your size tank. I would say at this point no just because your tank is still probably going through mini cycles. The best thing to do with your size tank is just to keep up on water changes when you start doing them. This will reduce a large amount of nutrients that the skimmer would remove.

Keeping nutrients low is always somewhat of a struggle but a good thing.

yeah, thanks for the info, I've been reading up on them, I've opted on not every getting on.. theres no need. I was just reading that they make the water look clearer on something. I'm in the middle of deciding on what Kind of tank I want. At this point, I think its mostly going to be a LR and fish style tank. I have 4 types of softies that were hitch hikers. I'm going to start feeding my zoo ( yeah, I have one, only one.. poor guy) I want him to start making more. so maybe then I can figure out how to move them to a different part of the tank. and my xenias are growing like crazy, and my mushroom is still a loner, but I think he will colonize some later.

so the tank is still on standby mode.. its basically now a invertabrate tank with a few surviving corals... and hair algae....what makes me mad is the Clove polyps are thriving dude.. i mean they just look amazing and growing fast..... and everything else is just blahhh..... i put a ric and yuma in the pico.. and they look better in there than in the BC.. im guess because of the actinic suppl... plus they like less light i believe.... anyway ill get pics of them up in the PICO thread... i think the BC break down will be coming soon.. i just have to find out what to do with all the hermits,snails,starfish,shrimps,crabs,coral,

Thanks for stopping by the thread Digg. One thing that I have noticed with my tank is that zoas and palys really don't thrive in my tank. I'm not sure if it's too much light, too clean of water, etc. I know that I used to have crazy growth out of the my zoas in my 55 gallon tank with T5s and I just don't get it in this tank with MH. That's kind of one of the reasons why I have been focusing more on SPS this go around. I have been having a lot more success with SPS which is interesting to me :)

So are you planning on breaking down and setting back up the 29 or breaking it down for good? I think you can get that bad boy back up to its old self if you went the route of breaking it down, replacing things, and setting it back up.

As far as the corals, inverts and fish, it just depends on how you plan on doing the move. Depending on your LFS or local reefers, you might be able to have them hold them for you until you have everything accomplished and then reintroduce them back into the tank. Might be stressful on the fish but it could be an option for you.

I have been following your Pico thread as well and think it's awesome.

thanks dive.. o yeah CONGRATS ON THE 1 YeAR!!!!.. its crazy its already been a year.. i remember when you helped my set up my TICKER TRACKER back in the day... geez i need a beer..

o yeah i had a clown disapear so i will prob take the other one back and maybe just sell everthing to the lfs.. even if the give me chump change for it..

I hear ya man...been quite a trip over the past year with the tank. I was just looking back on the first page of this thread when I moved from one apartment to the condo that we are in now. I also looked back at what the frags I had looked like then and what they look like now. I guess I never really look at how much things grow since I look at it daily but when I look back at pictures is when I notice the changes. Pretty cool to see.

I hear ya about selling it back to the LFS....unfortunately the store around us isn't taking trade ins any more. I'm glad I got in under the gun with some of the trades I did. It's always nice to get store credit although they only usually give you 50% of what they are going to mark it up to.

So you are setting the tank back up, right?

ummmm..... yes and no.. :ninja: i want to set it back up.... but i fear once i get it all broke down and cleaned up... it will stay like that for a while... i will keep puttin it off and puttin it off... and then money and time come into play and what not...... soo to answer your question DIVE i have NO IDEA...lol..... who know maybe ill put it all up for sale on here and gett a 120 gallon :wub:

Archived