Top Shelf Aquatics

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

Thanks Diane. One of my best friends has started taking interest into reef tanks so we sat around the tank for about an hour yesterday with me explaining what things were and how everything fit together in our little ecosystems.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After following your tank thread, you have one heck of a tank going and have loads of cool stuff in there. Don't worry about the hitchikers, I know that I really didn't have anything cool in there microfauna wise probably for the first 6 months. Now I have all sorts of stuff but it's been close to 9 months. Give it time and things will sprout out everywhere ;)

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope things will get more diverse in a couple of months. I guess it really takes some time for the life to recolonize the reef.

Really cool updates and pics. Following along,

B

I was looking into the little cave section that I have in the center of my tank yesterday and I noticed what looked like a single paly polyp. I got out my large tongs and pulled it out. To my amazement it was a single polyp of some paly that I don't don't remember ever having in the tank :) Time to get some superglue and make sure he stays put. It is a really nice vibrant pink color and I'm looking forward to see what it turns out to be after coming out of the dark.

I know....it was like a freebie that I never knew that I had :) I should be able to grab a pic this afternoon since it has now settled into its spot and has been sucking up the light for a day or two.

The razor blade and I got reacquainted last night for about 45 minutes and I did some hardcore coralline scraping along the front and one side of the tank. I still have another side to do but I got too tired of the clown pecking the crap out of me to continue on. Tonight I am going to finish the rest. One piece of advice that I would give to anyone is to keep up on scraping the algae off of the glass....it is a REAL pain of the butt to clean off if it keeps too caked on.

Anyway, it looks a lot better now. Pictures below:

You can see two new things that I've discovered in this shot. First is the paly polyp that I found in the back of the tank. It was up higher on the rock where I could get a better picture but one of the snails must have thought it needed to be lower. Until I get some superglue this is where it will hang out. Also, you can see a feather duster on the backside of the lobo. I am not sure if it is part of the rock that the lobo is on or if it is in the sand. Either way I thought it was cool although you can't see it from the front.

CRW_6838.jpg

I moved this frag up off the sand bed as I am going to slowly start adding things into the rockwork. Just looks more aesthetically pleasing except for the ceramic disc it's on :)

CRW_6847.jpg

CRW_6853.jpg

My birdsnest frag continues to lay down more base onto the rock it's on but hasn't really shot upward yet. I am hoping that it will start branching out and growing up more soon.

CRW_6845.jpg

Shrooms....have grown a fair amount since I got this rock with them on it.

CRW_6842.jpg

Octospawn frag that I got from Tudd. I noticed last night that it finally has a single mouth now so I might start blasting it with some food here and there to keep it going strong.

CRW_6841.jpg

Side shot with orange montipora (encrusting variety) and purple polyp monti.

CRW_6840.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Very nice. That birdsnest really is encrusting like crazy. That's pretty common with SPS though. They like to have a very strong base before they grow upward. I can't get enough of the little Euphyllia frag. It looks very happy. FTS??

mass props for getting that OS frag to do soo well! Super cool that it has formed a new mouth.

New pics are looking great. Did you get a new camera or have you just polished up your cam skills?

birdnest is also showing some great growth..funny how much it has encrusted the disc but hasn's shot up as much. I bet one day it just takes off reaching for the light!

I had one of those single polyp finds in my tank once...little bugger just popped up outta nowhere

...so true its the little things that make these tanks so great.

Very nice. That birdsnest really is encrusting like crazy. That's pretty common with SPS though. They like to have a very strong base before they grow upward. I can't get enough of the little Euphyllia frag. It looks very happy. FTS??

Thanks Nugz....it really has encrusted a ton over it's base. It has almost completely covered the epoxy that I used. I've heard that they do like to encrust a lot first so I'm hoping it takes off nicely after that. At least it stays pretty well polyped out so it must be happy.

I definitely need to grab a FTS....funny out of all the pics that is the one I didn't grab.

mass props for getting that OS frag to do soo well! Super cool that it has formed a new mouth.

New pics are looking great. Did you get a new camera or have you just polished up your cam skills?

birdnest is also showing some great growth..funny how much it has encrusted the disc but hasn's shot up as much. I bet one day it just takes off reaching for the light!

I had one of those single polyp finds in my tank once...little bugger just popped up outta nowhere

...so true its the little things that make these tanks so great.

Good to hear from you again bud. Yeah, the octospawn frag has been doing really great lately. I hadn't really noticed any growth on it but now I can definitely tell it's been doing some work :) Hope it keeps going and going.

That's funny that you find a random floater in the tank as well....nice finding things like coral that you didn't know you had.

Overall, I think I've noticed more growth out of the XM 15K bulb that I've been running for about a month now. Either that or the corals all got happy at once.

Oh yeah, didn't get a new camera. I am still using my Canon 300D with a 17-40 F4L lens. I've just been using a monopod recently to steady the camera more and just focusing more on the DOF (depth of field). I'm slowly starting to creep my way back into my passion of old....photography. I'm looking to get the new Canon Xsi when it comes out and give my wife my 300D. We'll see though.

When I bought some zoa frags they came on some square pads. I glued them to the rock and was a little bummed when I did because it looked dumb. But they grow pretty quick and now the pads are gone. I might have to start moving some of my rocks to chamber 2 and replace some of my bio balls soon. I'm running out of room. As soon as I have enough rock I'm going to 'fuge chamber 2. Everything looks killer man. Sweet pics!

Oh yeah, didn't get a new camera. I am still using my Canon 300D with a 17-40 F4L lens. I've just been using a monopod recently to steady the camera more and just focusing more on the DOF (depth of field). I'm slowly starting to creep my way back into my passion of old....photography. I'm looking to get the new Canon Xsi when it comes out and give my wife my 300D. We'll see though.

A very solid set up none the less and a good lens. I've been also thinking of switching from the tripod to the mono-pod because I can get much closer to the glass with it.

Great corals too.

When I bought some zoa frags they came on some square pads. I glued them to the rock and was a little bummed when I did because it looked dumb. But they grow pretty quick and now the pads are gone. I might have to start moving some of my rocks to chamber 2 and replace some of my bio balls soon. I'm running out of room. As soon as I have enough rock I'm going to 'fuge chamber 2. Everything looks killer man. Sweet pics!

Thanks Dood. Yeah, unfortunately the frag discs are usually how I've ended up getting frags or how I grow them out at least. My growth had been a little stagnant over the last couple of months but it's seemed to taken off on the zoas finally over the last two to three weeks. I am seeing a lot more little baby heads cropping up so that's always exciting. I was alway used to really fast growth like I used to have in my 55. Sometimes I wonder if my water it too clean since I don't overfeed and just feed with pellets mainly.

A very solid set up none the less and a good lens. I've been also thinking of switching from the tripod to the mono-pod because I can get much closer to the glass with it.

Great corals too.

Thanks bud. I am really itching to get a macro lens since I've been wanting one for a long time now. Just hasn't been in the cards lately. Time to start scrapping my nickels and dimes together to get one :)

I really like using my monopod to take images of the tank. I think that I will have to use a tripod if I get a macro lens just for stability and ease but the mono works well since my tank is in the corner so it has a couch on one side and a wall on the other. Makes using a tripod a pain.

Thanks Dood. Yeah, unfortunately the frag discs are usually how I've ended up getting frags or how I grow them out at least. My growth had been a little stagnant over the last couple of months but it's seemed to taken off on the zoas finally over the last two to three weeks. I am seeing a lot more little baby heads cropping up so that's always exciting. I was alway used to really fast growth like I used to have in my 55. Sometimes I wonder if my water it too clean since I don't overfeed and just feed with pellets mainly.
I over feed. But I get great growth. I added some cheato and some grape caulpera to help the excess Nitrates and it has helped a ton. I also change 5 gallons a week so that helps a ton too.

Nothing too much to update about other than I believe I have flatworms...oh joy :angry: The other day when I was looking at the tank, I noticed a rust colored thing that was moving on the glass. After closer inspection, and after I restarted my heart, I know that they are flatworms. I have no idea how I would have gotten them since I haven't added anything to the tank in oh about 2-3 months.

The odd thing, and I guess a good thing, is that I cannot spot ANY on the rocks or corals. They only appear on the glass and I've only seen about 3-5 there. After letting them go the first day, I have been siphoning them out the past couple of days. I just use the Joe's Juice syringe that I got and pull them out that way.

I have heard that siphoning and keeping nutrients low is a good way to control and get rid of them. I really don't want to dose Flatworm Exit if at all possible or get another fish just to control them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know that I can get rid of them but I'm sure it will take some diligence and hard work to do so.

Thanks in advance....I am glad that I am slowly getting to experience all of the nuisances of the hobby (caulerpa and vermitids in my 55 and now flatworms).

Nice tank - great growth on those SPS!

I just tore down a 75g tank because of stupid FWs, so I feel your pain. Shell out the money and get FWE. Whether or not you use it on the tank, it's a good method to dealing with new frags and acclimating.

You have 2 options -

1: keep an eye on the tank. I have read that most people have them, but they sort of bloom and then recede to a low level (almost unnoticeable). If they bloom and don't recede, get vicious with the FWE and siphoning. Siphon as many as you can see, and trust me, their there.

2: Just straight up bomb the tank with FWE and don't wait for them to rear their ugly heads.

As an aside, 6-lines and dragonets are known to scarf them down. I had some, but my Mandarin took care of them. When he died, they came back with a vengeance. I wouldn't recommend the Mandarin in your tank, but the 6 line should help. Of course, it's hit and miss - so YMMV

Like the the frags. Glad your tank is still running nice and strong. good luck on the flatworm

Thanks. I am itching for some new frags but just been low on $.

Nice tank - great growth on those SPS!

I just tore down a 75g tank because of stupid FWs, so I feel your pain. Shell out the money and get FWE. Whether or not you use it on the tank, it's a good method to dealing with new frags and acclimating.

You have 2 options -

1: keep an eye on the tank. I have read that most people have them, but they sort of bloom and then recede to a low level (almost unnoticeable). If they bloom and don't recede, get vicious with the FWE and siphoning. Siphon as many as you can see, and trust me, their there.

2: Just straight up bomb the tank with FWE and don't wait for them to rear their ugly heads.

As an aside, 6-lines and dragonets are known to scarf them down. I had some, but my Mandarin took care of them. When he died, they came back with a vengeance. I wouldn't recommend the Mandarin in your tank, but the 6 line should help. Of course, it's hit and miss - so YMMV

Thanks for taking a look at my thread and your suggestions. Sorry to hear about you having to tear down your 75g. Did you have AEFW or just regular flatworms? Did they just get to a point where they were affecting your corals?

I think that I am going to get some Flatworm eXit and just monitor if the population keeps getting larger over the next couple of days. I have also read that a lot of people have just let them ride out and just siphon as much as they can. At the most I have only seen 5-6 max on the glass and can't spot them on the rock when the lights are on.

So the options that I see are right now to siphon and monitor their numbers for the next 2-3 days. After that, if I start to see an increase I will siphon and drop the FE bomb on the tank :) We'll see how it goes....

thanks for taking a look at my thread and your suggestions. Sorry to hear about you having to tear down your 75g. Did you have AEFW or just regular flatworms? Did they just get to a point where they were affecting your corals?

I think that I am going to get some Flatworm eXit and just monitor if the population keeps getting larger over the next couple of days. I have also read that a lot of people have just let them ride out and just siphon as much as they can. At the most I have only seen 5-6 max on the glass and can't spot them on the rock when the lights are on.

So the options that I see are right now to siphon and monitor their numbers for the next 2-3 days. After that, if I start to see an increase I will siphon and drop the FE bomb on the tank :) We'll see how it goes....

That sounds like a reasonable strategy. I'm not an expert on flat worms and I've never seen them in my tank, but I got the six line partly because of preventative measures. He's just so good at eating nasty critters and I've read on other peoples posts that they would munch on flat worms. Too bad you're not going to get one.

I wouldn't get the Mandarin for many reasons. One being that once they're done with the flat worms, they will probably die because they really do need a lot of small pods and worms and most tanks can't provide them. And the other reason is that if people keep buying them, it's really bad for the species because they'll keep getting harvested and die off eventually. I've not heard of them being raised in captivity either.

I may get another six-line for my tank eventually but don't have the extra cash for the fish right now. I used to have one in my 55 gallon and it was an awesome fish.

I would NEVER get a mandarin for my tank....I just don't think that keeping them in captivity is the right thing for our size tanks. Now having one in a lot larger tank that has been established for a long period of time is a different story. Like you said, jury is still out on their long term life span in our tanks.

Like having a lion for a pet, some things are just best left in their natural environment :)

I absolutely agree to not get a Mandarin - I was just relaying my experience (with a much larger tank/fuge/sump setup (almost 200g). And no, they weren't AEFWs, just the plain ol' rust colored ones.

And yes, they got to a point that my corals were affected. That is partially my fault. We stalled trying to figure out what to do with them, and they bloomed. Well, FWs, like everything else, dies too. And when they die, they release toxic juices, which is why not a lot of critters will feed on them. What ended up happening is that the volume of them dying started slowly poisoning the water. It is not traceable or testable. Took a while to figure out what was going on. We lost an elegance, a lobo, 3 heads of frogspawn, xenia, and all of our SPS (montis, acros, birdsnest, etc).

We just couldn't figure out why today it looked ok, and then tomorrow it was receeded and dying. Well, take this to heart. I agree that you have a sound strategy. But the moment your least hardy corals start showing signs of distress, time to drop the bomb. And I see in your sig that you have a few of the items that I listed. Just inspect your critters everyday. If the polyps aren't out on the SPS, or the lobo, blasto, or octospawn are receeding, time to deal the death punch. HTH.

BTW, I really, really hate FWs. So I am more than willing to provide as much death and destruction to them as I can. :ninja::angry::wacko:

Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it a lot. I am definitely going to keep my eye on things, especially my SPS and other corals since they have been doing great for me lately. Believe me when I say this, the little bastages will pay if things start declining in my tank :) I have no reluctance in dropping the nuke in the tank and getting rid of them. I let algae and vermitids get out of control in my 55 gallon because of negligence and that's partly why I took it down.

By the way, did you used to or are you still on Club Zoa? The screen name looked familiar....

I missed this....my tank has been going for 9 months now!!!!!

No, I'm not on clubzoa...there are couple of us with very close spartan names out there - in fact, there was a member on RC with the name MSU Spartans (where i'm MSU Fan), and we had the same avatar. What a mess...I would get random PM's sent to me. :D

Like I said, keep an eye on things and be prepared. Your tank will be fine - oh, and congrats on the birth - I mean, 9 month old tank!

Archived